From official site

ALLY McCOIST has offered Marius Zaliukas a deal at Rangers, with the defender now back in Lithuania considering the proposal.

The former Hearts captain and FBK Kaunas player trained with the Light Blues last week having arrived at Murray Park initially on September 5.

McCoist was impressed with what he saw from the stopper, who spent seven years at Tynecastle before leaving when his contract there expired at the end of last term.

Having had discussions with him, chief executive Craig Mather has also sat down with the 29-year-old to talk terms.

Gers now await Zaliukas’ response, with an offer to Bosnian centre-half Boris Pandza still on the table too.

The Light Blues have so far brought in nine new faces over the summer, with goalkeeper Steve Simonsen their latest addition last week.

Jon Daly, Stevie Smith, Arnold Peralta, Richard Foster, Bilel Mohsni, Cammy Bell, Nicky Clark and Nicky Law have also come in.

Having not had a budget to sign midfielder Sam Kelly recently, McCoist admitted last week it’s likely he’ll only be able to bring in one defender rather than both he is keen on.

Now he’s waiting to hear whether Zaliukas and Pandza are likely to accept what has been put before them.

McCoist said: “Marius trained very well with us and I know Craig had a chat with the board and myself then put an offer to him.

“He has now gone back home to contemplate it and to have a think so hopefully we will hear from him soon.

“We as staff feel we should strengthen in the centre of defence although with that said, when you’re getting hat-tricks from one of your centre-halves it’s always encouraging and pleasing.

“I just feel though we need to think about the longer term and it’s an area we definitely need to bring someone http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/5100-gers-offer-zaliukas-deal

Assuming that Zaliukas or Pandza accept the offer, you would imagine that with Mohsni, they become the first choice centre half pairing. Do we then need Cribari, Faure, Hegarty and Perry? One would imagine that Jig moves up front to compete with Daly for a striking position but given that both of those players can play CB if we had severe injury concerns, the numbers are massively over-inflated.

If I recall correctly, when Mourinho took over Chelsea for the first time, he publicly stated that he did not want more than two players per position as it was difficult to keep everyone match fit and happy. If one of the most successful managers of the modern era believes this, you would have hoped that it would it would be good enough for Ally, particularly given our financial concerns!

I for one cannot believe that we offered Pandza a deal without having him over for a look, medical and no pre-season in him.

Sidenote ... doesn't it smack those who continually whip up the rumours about our imminet financial collapse in the face when we are apparently able to sign 9 or even 10 new players (wages and all)? Or do these people really assume that the current board has no idea how this will work out in the next 12 months or so? That there is no plan or finances in place? I'm not saying there is, but it still makes you wonder.

I for one cannot believe that we offered Pandza a deal without having him over for a look, medical and no pre-season in him.

Sidenote ... doesn't it smack those who continually whip up the rumours about our imminet financial collapse in the face when we are apparently able to sign 9 or even 10 new players (wages and all)? Or do these people really assume that the current board has no idea how this will work out in the next 12 months or so? That there is no plan or finances in place? I'm not saying there is, but it still makes you wonder.

I'll remain worried about our financial state until I see the accounts for this year. Remember Craig Whyte came in and signed a couple of players of 25k a week contracts.

total overkill...crazy decisions getting made at the club. It's getting to be like fucking Whyte era mark 2.

I have a bit of sympathy for Super, because if he hardly signed anybody and we drop points he will get chastised, and now he gets the same for signing too many players so for him its a case of damned if he does, damned if doesn't. But at the same time this is what is to be expected when managing one of the largest clubs in the world. However Mather and co should really have gave him a smaller budget and if need be we could always have strengthened in the winter window.

I'm almost scared for the accounts coming out...i get the feeling its going to be some pretty grim reading.

I'll remain worried about our financial state until I see the accounts for this year. Remember Craig Whyte came in and signed a couple of players of 25k a week contracts.

Never forgot that. Thing is, there is no one-person leadership at the club right now and if e.g. the Easdales are anywhere near as being described, they will get theor noses into our finances and any misdealings sure enough. Hence, I do not expect a hush-hush meltdown to happen again and if there is an open one on the horizon, the signals will be out in the public soon enough.