All depends on your point of view. We have the old horses, Mohsni is 26, and the we have ...

Sebastien Faure 22 (*03.01.1991 ) – Contract till 2015

Kyle McAusland 20 (*19.01.1993 ) – Contract till 2015

Chris Hegarty 21 (* 13.08.1992 ) – Contract till 2015

Ross Perry 23 (* 07.02.1990 ) – Contract till 2015

Luca Gasparotto 18 (* 03.09.1995) – Contract till 2014

Essentially all vying for a CH slot and some are still eligible for the u20s / u21s. We can all argue about the qualities of some of these players, but the fact remains that they are all there and unless moved, in the way of people like Urquart. It is essentially the same as with Gallagher. These players will not develope their skills unless thrown into a competitive environment. We might have thus loaned Urquart and some others (and hopefully will), but this is not just about what the club wants. Urquart could well have been loaned and remained for three more years, only to see his place blocked by newly signed experienced veteran (25+) players ... like Rangers have done for decades. (And before people come up and say that is wrong ... that is the way all great British teams assemble their successful squads. You have to be a very special youth player to break that habit, whether that is considered wrong or not.)

Should we sign Zaliukas, it may spell the end for some of those actually blocking the path of our younger talent, i.e. Perry and Hegarty. Neither of the latter two convinced enough last season.

Edited by der Berliner

I'm sure Urquhart was offered a contract but the lad and his family were not happy with Rangers, and had decided a while ago not to sign.

The problem with a big squad is youngsters may feel they have less chance. I don't mean McLeod and Crawford who have their foot in the door, but McKay and the younger age group.

If they don't get the chance while we are in the lower Leagues, what chance when we get into the top League.

Looks like Urquart is being moved on so Zaliukas can be shoehorned in. If so, I find this profoundly depressing. If a promising youngster can develop his career in England's lower leagues, then why could he not do it at least equally well in Scotland's? The one thing I thought demotion would allow us to do would be to give a core group of youths - say 6 or 7 - the chance to grow together and maybe sell on for a decent fee. Instead we seem set on recruiting ageing soldiers of fortune who will be all be too old when we eventually return to the top flight. Then it all starts again: no good youngsters to stock the team , but a succession of temporary (but experienced) signings. Meanwhile Urquart will probably make a name for himself together with team mate John Fleck. I find it baffling that we need so many experienced players for the standard of football we find ourselves in.

After the last few years, and with the few still to come, perhaps we should replace 'Aye Ready' with 'Profoundly Depressing'!

I feel the same as alex, I had hopes of seeing a different Rangers rising through the Leagues.

Perhaps it was more a dream, but still disappointing to see the amount and age of signings.

Probably the wrong management team to go that route, but an opportunity lost IMO.

I feel the same as alex, I had hopes of seeing a different Rangers rising through the Leagues.

Perhaps it was more a dream, but still disappointing to see the amount and age of signings.

Probably the wrong management team to go that route, but an opportunity lost IMO.

Well, I marked the signings, I'll leave the age-calculator to you. Snatched it from our German board squad-list: replace "geb." with "born" and "Vertrag bis" with "contract till":

Goal:

Alan Smith (geb. 25.05.1993 ) – Vertrag bis 2014

Scott Gallacher (geb. 15.07.1989 ) – Vertrag bis 2015

Cammy Bell (geb. 18.09.1986 ) – Vertrag bis 2017

Defence:

Emílson Cribari (geb. 06.03.1980 ) – Vertrag bis 2014

Luca Gasparotto (geb. 03.09.1995 ) – Vertrag bis 2014

Chris Hegarty (geb. 13.08.1992 ) – Vertrag bis 2015

Ross Perry (geb. 07.02.1990 ) – Vertrag bis 2015

Steven Smith (geb. 30.08.1985 ) – Vertrag bis 2015

Ricky Foster (geb. 31.07.1985 ) – Vertrag bis 2015

Bilel Mohsni (geb. 21.07.1987 ) – Vertrag bis 2015

Kyle McAusland (geb. 19.01.1993 ) – Vertrag bis 2015

Sebastien Faure (geb. 03.01.1991 ) – Vertrag bis 2015

Lee Wallace (geb. 21.08.1987 ) – Vertrag bis 2017

Midfield

Andrew Mitchell (geb. 06.04.1992 ) – Vertrag bis 2014

Kyle Hutton (geb. 15.02.1991 ) – Vertrag bis 2014

Ian Black (geb. 14.03.1985 ) – Vertrag bis 2015

Nicky Law (geb. 29.03.1988 ) – Vertrag bis 2016

Dean Shiels (geb. 01.02.1985 ) – Vertrag bis 2016

David Templeton (geb. 07.01.1989 ) – Vertrag bis 2016

Lewis Macleod (geb. 16.06.1994 ) – Vertrag bis 2017

Robbie Crawford (geb. 19.03.1993 ) – Vertrag bis 2017

Barrie McKay (geb. 31.12.1994 ) – Vertrag bis 2017

Arnold Peralta (geb. 29.03.1989 ) – Vertrag bis 2017

Fraser Aird (geb. 02.02.1995 ) – Vertrag bis 2018

Attack

Lee McCulloch (geb. 14.05.1978 ) – Vertrag bis 2015

Andrew Little (geb. 03.05.1989 ) – Vertrag bis 2015

Jon Daly (geb. 08.01.1983 ) – Vertrag bis 2015

Nicky Clark (geb. 03.06.1991 ) – Vertrag bis 2016

Bar Daly, we bought seasoned and not to old campaigners.

Is the German for born not geborn? Or gebornen? Refuse to use Google translate when dB is here anyway.

I love how the languages are virtually identical sometimes. Compared to my nasally attempts at pronouncing French in school, how easy it is to reach for the lower throat and rasp out some (no doubt inaccurate) German!

Is the German for born not geborn? Or gebornen? Refuse to use Google translate when dB is here anyway.

I love how the languages are virtually identical sometimes. Compared to my nasally attempts at pronouncing French in school, how easy it is to reach for the lower throat and rasp out some (no doubt inaccurate) German!

English is essentially a germanic language (from the tribe of the Angles who spoke Aengelisch which developed into English, with some French words thrown in.

The French words came from the Normans who were, of course, the masters of the germanic peoples of England.

For example, we have two words for cow/cow meat. The Norman masters didn't farm the animals, just ate the meat, so a cow (Kuh) which the Germans farmed becomes beef (bouef) which the French ate.

This is not unconnected and very cool: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f54_1337075813