SuperAlly wrote:

IMO there are certainly posters on here and in our online community who think that all we need to do is drop everything that currently offends our opponents and all will be rosy and they will even go after different targets. And yes on this site you are chief among them. I was trying to find (and obviously failed) a collective way of referring to people who have that view point to see if the incident this weekend has in any way change their view. I should have just come up with a name that had "haters" tagged on the end!

But your opinion is wrong, that's what I'm saying.

I think we should drop things which are embarrassing and outdated. Whether our opponents like them or hate them is of supreme irrelevance to me, although I can see why you'd want to portray me as an apologist for Tims. It strengthens your case and makes me look weak. But it's bullshit, nonetheless. It is the impression given of Rangers which concerns me, not the dainty feelings of people who, as you say. will just find something else to complain about anyway.

My only comments on this particular example have been to note the insanity of it, and to say 'fuck 'em' to the moaners. You can find these posts in this thread. As I said, sometimes criticise ourselves and sometimes stand tough. But you ignore that to point the trembling finger of accusation in my treacherous direction. Well, my cheeks are not burning hotly with disloyal shame, sir, not this afternoon.

Ffs, the main thing keeping the memory of Bobby Sands alive is Rangers fans!!! How is that worth keeping? I would lay good odds that not one person under 30 who sings the lines about the skinny cunt knew who he was until they go to Ibrox and start hearing that one, and get it explained to them. Outside of Belfast masonry paint salesmen we must be his biggest 'fans': a madness which fits in well with the lunacy of this whole episode.

ps: I'm 42 and too old to hate anything much, except BBC Scotland.

Edited by andy steel

Well, I've been taking my 7yo to Ibrox for the last 2 seasons and am dreading having to explain to him what half of the shit that the fans sing is actually about.

I cast jealous eyes to the fans of English clubs like Newcastle, and their away days adventures and remember the excitement I experienced when I was younger about travelling to Dens or Tynecastle. I enjoyed it until the fat bastards at the back of the bus started singing shitty Irish songs. Then I look at the Geordies or Man U fans and how they go to the football and sing football songs.

It's a sad reflection of our fans that in the year 2013, we are still singing about Bobby Sands, the IRA, the YCV, Derry's walls etc. It's even sadder that in times when our club has been on it's knees for 2/3 years, some fans continue to give wankers like George Galloway the ammunition to discredit our fans on Twitter and give haters the opportunity to write stuff that shifts focus from our real desire to remove the Board.

As I said previously, the fans and in particular, the guys in BF1 need to box clever and outsmart the journos.

Again I have to take issue with bringing the boardroom nonsense into this at all.

If you want them all sacked by all means do what you want but it doesn't mean every other battle has to be dropped.

And what battle is that? The battle to commit suicide as quickly as we can by continuing to hand our enemies the ammunition to kill us on a plate?

It's all very well for young guys to flex their bravado, pump up the testosterone and fire from the lip about how tough and non-compromising we should be. Meanwhile, back in the real world, some of us have got a football club to take care of.

And we can't do that if the knuckle-dragging neanderthals in our support scare away 21st century marketing and business opportunities by making us a poisoned brand with their droning out shit about the 17th century.

Doing this is not smart, it's not tough and it's not being loyal or supporting Rangers; it is being criminally stupid by continuing to play into the hands of those who want to kill us.

And what battle is that? The battle to commit suicide as quickly as we can by continuing to hand our enemies the ammunition to kill us on a plate?

It's all very well for young guys to flex their bravado, pump up the testosterone and fire from the lip about how tough and non-compromising we should be. Meanwhile, back in the real world, some of us have got a football club to take care of.

And we can't do that if the knuckle-dragging neanderthals in our support scare away 21st century marketing and business opportunities by making us a poisoned brand with their droning out shit about the 17th century.

Doing this is not smart, it's not tough and it's not being loyal or supporting Rangers; it is being criminally stupid by continuing to play into the hands of those who want to kill us.

Absolutely spot-on.

I do agree, but I disagree with using expressions like 'knuckle dragging neanderthals' because (a) that's what Spiers calls us and, de facto, that means it must be inaccurate; (b) we were all young and daft once (guilty conscience ahoy)and © recent research suggests the poor old Neaderthals were quite cultured.

Education rather than abuse, I say. We'll never persuade anyone by slagging them off, even if some deserve it.

We keep going on about them being obsessed about us, why can't we just forget about them? Treat them as an irrelevance. That would annoy them more, but give them no cannon fodder and show there is only one bigoted club.

We need a secular set of values that everyone can get behind eg: sporting excellence, fair play, integrity, inclusiveness and charity.

If we're going to play up anything then perhaps it should be our Scottishness. Scotland needs a football champion as it's an apparently non-Scottish team that has manipulated and cheated its dirty way to dominance. Why not let Rangers be the super-hero to the rescue against the evil ones, instead of another perceived king-pin of hate crime?