One lesson that needs to be learned from recent years - I don't think we can afford to employ another manager who was a playing hero.

Many who defend Ally are doing so out of a sense of loyalty to a guy who was a fantastic player for us: a genuine legend. They just cannot bring themselves to admit that Ally might not have the credentials to do the job we would all like him to do.

People who cannot handle McCoist being criticised sometimes even go as far as to suggest that the Rangers manager shouldn't be criticised at all. 'Ally's a true blue - leave him alone'.

With this in mind, it's probably better to avoid all the ex-Gers who are in management unless their records are so exceptional that they just cannot be ignored - like the recently retired Alex Ferguson.

If Gough, for example, came in and made a hash of things, we'd have to go through all this turmoil again.

When Ally goes, whenever that is, I think it may be advisable to seek out a replacement who has never worn our colours at all.

Yes, it's sad that it has come to this, but in the long run it might be a lot less troublesome.

That's quite a number of sweeping generalisations you've made there.

It's only the back of 11 and reading your post makes me feel like I need a drink!

:basher:

Zappa, you said it yourself. What you REALLY want to see is Ally leading Rangers to a league title.

What I want to see is Rangers winning a league title as soon as we possibly can.

The priority should be Rangers - not Ally. This Ally love-in is clouding people's judgement.

Rangers must have a good manager. Currently, who would honestly say that we have one?

Warnock plays poor football and isn't a great manager but I'd certainly take him over Ally or another dire manager like McLeish.

In terms of realistic Scottish managers I'd give Davies or McInnes a go. Would be great to see a decent foreign manager and coaching staff but it's a nice dream.

Agree with that. Warnock is annoying but he knows how to win games. His was out of his depth in the premier league but is probably one of the best managers at championship level which is pretty much where the SPL is. However he would have to be a last resort.

Jimmy Calderwood is another who has an unpopular name but he'd be a good appointment IMO. And I still think Kevin Keegan would jump at the job and would be fantastic.

Agree with that. Warnock is annoying but he knows how to win games. His was out of his depth in the premier league but is probably one of the best managers at championship level which is pretty much where the SPL is. However he would have to be a last resort.

Jimmy Calderwood is another who has an unpopular name but he'd be a good appointment IMO. And I still think Kevin Keegan would jump at the job and would be fantastic.

Calderwood is an interesting thought but he just got a new job at De Graafschap. Apart from his brief and controversial second spell at Newcastle, Keegan has not managed a club for 6 years. The biggest obstacle to him however would be his far from wonderful realtionship with Mike Ashley. Keegan successfully sued Newcastle for constructive dismissal and was awareded £2 million by a Tribunal. "In June 2013, Keegan stated he would only consider a return should owner Mike Ashley leave the club" (Wikipedia). Given Ashley is a significant shareholder in Rangers and it was even reported (wrongly) last summer that he was about to buy the Club; it doesn't seem likely that Keegan would be a candidate.

The Championship is much better than the SPL. The SPL is more like league 2 if anything.

We can do a lot better than Calderwood and Keegan was last successful about 15 years ago. Keegan wasn't great to begin with and was very poor tactically. The days of all out attack 4-4-2 are long gone. It's a bit like Hoddle, I've no idea why mediocre managers get their names randomly put forward for jobs after years out the game.

That said, obviously Calderwood and Keegan would be far better than Ally.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of too many who became really successful managers of the clubs that they played for. Dalgliish did OK at Liverpool first time around but wasn't much use in his second spell. Mowbray was hopeless both at Celtic then Middlesborough. Like others, I have reservations over Ally's capabilities as a team manager but the level of criticism that is being directed at him, given our record this season seems very harsh.