Miller cuts short Canadian affair with Rangers on horizon

KENNY Miller has been linked with a move to Rangers for the third time after negotiating a release from his contract with MLS club Vancouver Whitecaps.

The former Scotland striker has spent two spells at the Ibrox club - he was there between 200 and 2001 and again from 2008 to 2011.

The 34-year-old trained at Murray Park when he returned to Scotland during the close season in North America.

And he is believed to be so keen to help Ally McCoist's side return to the top flight he has agreed to a massive cut in wages.

If the ex-Hibs, Wolves, Derby County and Cardiff City hit man puts pen to paper at the Gers he will be earning less than Seb Faure and Arnold Peralta.

McCoist has revealed that his player budget will be virtually the same in the SPFL Championship as it was in League One.

He is set to release out-of-contract players in the coming days in order to free up cash to bring in Bosman transfers like Miller.

Announcing that he had agreed to leave Vancouver last night, Miller said: "The club wanted to go in one direction, I wanted to go in another direction."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/u/miller-cuts-short-canadian-affair-with-rangers-on-horizon.1399280631

Of that there is no doubt. In years to come we will look back at these three seasons and think what an opportunity wasted.

I agree but I think the history books on the club as a whole will show an omnishambles at all levels, with other issues putting the on-field into the shade.

KENNY MILLER will become a Rangers player for the third time after negotiating his release from MLS club Vancouver Whitecaps last night.

The former Scotland striker has struck a two-year deal with Gers boss Ally McCoist that will see him spearhead the Ibrox challenge to win the Championship next season.

And McCoist will try to restore Miller’s strike partnership with Kris Boyd when the Kilmarnock hitman’s contract expires at the end of the season.

No contact has been made out of respect to Boyd and his club as they battle to beat the drop.

But at the end of the campaign McCoist, who has been told he will have the same budget as this season, will move for the 20-goal striker after out-of-contract players are cut from the Ibrox wage bill. The deal for 34-year-old Miller is all but signed and the formalities will be concluded now he is a free agent.

And Record Sport can reveal Miller was so keen to return to Rangers he agreed a wage packet that is less than deals given to players such as Sebastien Faure and Arnold Peralta by former chief executive Charles Green.

Announcing he was leaving Vancouver last night, Miller said: “The club wanted to go in one direction, I wanted to go in another direction.”

Meanwhile, McCoist has revealed Rangers players and staff won’t receive a penny for winning League One – even though chief executive Graham Wallace stands to rake in a £315,000 bonus.

The Ibrox gaffer admits it’s “unusual” for a title-winning side not to be rewarded but insists neither he nor his stars want any extra cash.

However, CEO Wallace will collect a 100 per cent bonus on top of his £315,000 salary if “business targets” have been met. The Englishman will also pick up £25,000 courtesy of Gers being crowned champions.

McCoist said: “The players won’t receive any sort of bonus at all for winning the league. It was the same last year and that includes the management staff.

“In football that’s quite unusual but our lads haven’t mumped and moaned about it.

“It’s frustrating that we’re doing our jobs but there still seems to be a lot of uncertainty surrounding the club.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kenny-miller-quits-canada-third-3497106#.U2dVwGpFS2s.twitter

This is the kind of signing you get when you have no scouting department of the name. It's lazy, lacks foresight and will hardly excite the support.

However, Miller remains a good player and will provide much needed mobility and effervescence up front. But for how long will his legs last as his athleticism has always been his best strength.

I'd agree but depending on the wage he may prove to be a bargain.

If however, he's earning 10K a week and plays 33% of matches due to injury then he's just another in a long line to join the Elephant's graveyard that Ibrox has become.

Miller cuts short Canadian affair with Rangers on horizon

And he is believed to be so keen to help Ally McCoist's side return to the top flight he has agreed to a massive cut in wages.

If the ex-Hibs, Wolves, Derby County and Cardiff City hit man puts pen to paper at the Gers he will be earning less than Seb Faure and Arnold Peralta.

[/url]

Couple of things with that report.

The phrase "he is believed" = Mibbees aye, mibbees naw, mibbees not as much as we are pushing

Does the reporter know exactly what Faure and Peralta earn and if he does, why not specify ?

Spin, moonbeams and soundbites at ST renewal time tend to be like flowers in springtime although there would seem to be a solid base to this particular story.

It must be said that with the current board at Ibrox it would seem as we live in a perma-Spring.

Of that there is no doubt. In years to come we will look back at these three seasons and think what an opportunity wasted.

The one appealing aspect of dropping down to SFL3 was the opportunity to build something meaningful and with a long term vision of the way the club should be developing. The opportunity to start afresh without the baggage of 'Old Firm' games and results, without the absolute necessity of having to win the SPL, without the pressure of having to 'win ugly' no matter what. The thought process went as follows; We're playing part time footballers, our extra training and professionalism should be able to care of these ties without much effort and as such, Ally could construct an exciting footballing side that would grip our fans and our opponents as our brand of soccer would bulldoze the opposition and the fans would come out to see the Rangers and their journey back to the pinnacle of the game.

Sadly, no one at the club has any sort of thoughts past getting as much dough from the fans and investors as possible and awarding themselves obese salaries that have led the club to the brink again.

I've been going to Ibrox for over 20 years now and I'm in my late, late twenties (35), but if it wasn't for my boy wanting to go, I'd give serious thoughts about not going back. Totally disillusioned by the board, the direction the club is going and the "Ultras" who are a mixture of stupid wee boys and bitter old men. Totally depressing for me.

I long for something new to excite me and reignite my desire to watch the team religiously but ever since the PLG mess, as a club, we've been guilty of horrific short-termism and as such, our greatest rivals are in a different stratosphere from us just now and the real fear is that we could be decades behind them. We need to work hard to attract new fans from different backgrounds if we are to see the club grow and progress. The white Scottish Protestant is a dying breed and a lot of the young fans now either don't support Scottish teams or their parents 'guide' them to a less partisan team to support.

I run a boys team in Glasgow and most of the non-native kids support Celtic or not Rangers. We have an Algerian boy who is Celtic daft, I tried win him back by rhyming off all the Algerian Rangers players but without joy. As you can imagine, the boy was put on the bench for the following 4 weeks but that's not the point.

Hope I've cheered everyone else up with these uplifting tales.... :)

More money maybe but they don't have a Rangers or Celtic.

No! but they do have a better all-round game to watch,and not forgetting that Portland vSeattle is like a local derby,with sixty thousand maniac fans.

Well, a look at NewsNow tells you that it might be better to wait the usual 24 hours before going ballistic (or not) about such a rumour.

There can be a difference between what a player says publicly to what he's doing and saying privately.

If Miller isn't playing for Rangers next season I'll be very surprised.