Sadly our fans are a fickle bunch - could you imagine Ally signed loads of promising kids and never got promoted.

At this moment in time Ally needs players he can trust to get him out of this Championship.

People also forget we have arguably the best young midfielder in Scotland in Lewis MacLeod.

DU have a history/reputation for bringing youngsters through the ranks, then selling on for a decent fee, all while maintaining their spot in the top division - granted some season are better than others. If we were to sell McLeod, does ANYONE honestly expect us to get £3m for him??? We were willing to take £1.5 for our best player last season....

RFC have a history of buying high, selling low - that MUST change. Ally must have faith in some of these youngsters other wise the youth program is a complete waste of money. Whats the point in investing in the youth academy, and those players when there is virtually no chance of getting into the 1st team. The past 2 season have been the ideal chance to bring players through & prepare/develop them for the top tier. So far we have McLeod and latterly Aird who have held down regular spots. Plenty have appeared but few have remained.

Sadly our fans are a fickle bunch - could you imagine Ally signed loads of promising kids and never got promoted.

At this moment in time Ally needs players he can trust to get him out of this Championship.

People also forget we have arguably the best young midfielder in Scotland in Lewis MacLeod.

People keep saying we are a fickle bunch but for the past 10 years or so we have by and large played atrocious football and signed so many very poor players. Yet still we have a strong support.

Ally's tenure in particular has just been season after season of brutal football.

Your post there is hugely irritating to be honest. 'Players Ally can trust' :rolleyes:

Lets have another season of playing misfits that will serve us no benefit in the SPL. Then in a year we can take on huge loans (if anyone will be foolish enough to give us any) and we can splash the cash to try and avoid complete embarrassment in the SPL.

Who cares about a vision or long term plan. Lets just continue the boom and bust philosophy of playing players 'Ally trusts', on wages 5 times what anyone else would pay them, and then getting a whole new team each year or 2. Hopefully we can avoid another financial meltdown although it looks too late for that.

PS - Not sure why amongst our stone age support some people seem to think playing kids means there will be some sort of dooms day scenario where we will suddenly fail to get promotion. If anything a team of younger, more vibrant players full of energy would serve us much better than useless veterans like McCulloch and Daly who were never any good to begin with.

Also, nobody is wanting us to play 11 kids, just get a mix of them in. 4, 5 or 6 getting regular exposure, as opposed to the abomination that was last season where only 2 got regular games. Did we achieve any sort of development last season? No, just complete and utter regression.

Maybe things have changed but I would prefer our club to be in the situation where we buy high sell low as the bigger and more ambitious the club the more likely this will happen.

In an ideal situation, you want to be buying top players who are on form and in demand which will require a high fee and you only want to be selling when a player is not doing it for you and so not worth so much. If you're buying low it's usually because you are skint and scratching around for a bargain while taking a risk. If you're selling high, you're probably losing one of your best players.

Of course there are plenty of exceptions but I think it all kind of shows where you are in the food chain. These days, nobody can accuse us of buying high which is maybe a sad reflection of where we are.

For me, I'm not envious of Dundee Utd doing the small club thing, especially when it's incredibly small potatoes in today's European market.

Maybe things have changed but I would prefer our club to be in the situation where we buy high sell low as the bigger and more ambitious the club the more likely this will happen.

In an ideal situation, you want to be buying top players who are on form and in demand which will require a high fee and you only want to be selling when a player is not doing it for you and so not worth so much. If you're buying low it's usually because you are skint and scratching around for a bargain while taking a risk. If you're selling high, you're probably losing one of your best players.

Of course there are plenty of exceptions but I think it all kind of shows where you are in the food chain. These days, nobody can accuse us of buying high which is maybe a sad reflection of where we are.

For me, I'm not envious of Dundee Utd doing the small club thing, especially when it's incredibly small potatoes in today's European market.

Are you for real :laugh:?

We should be buying high and selling low? I don't think it's personally worth discussing that, do you?

I disagree with the point though understand why he's making it.

If you don't think it's worth discussing, don't post. Simple.

I'm getting a bit fed up of people concentrating more on arguing with each other than debating civilly. I asked folk to refrain yesterday and it continues today. No more warnings.

It is this very attitude that basically got us in the mess we find ourselves......

It's one thing paying a high price for a player if that is the "market value".....we have a history of paying over that market value in order to bring these types of players to the club. When we look to sell on, no-one is willing to match their wages or come anywhere near what we paid - therefore losing our club money.

Take Ryan Gould for example......if things go according to play for Sporting Lisbon, they will play/develop him for a couple of seasons, then sell on for an awful lot more than the £3m they have paid - I believe he has a £60m release clause.

Lee Wallace....signed from Hearts for £1.5m, easily our best player - we were willing to accept £1.2m (I think).....which no-one was willing to offer.

IMHO, it's not so much about spending big, it's about spending wisely - getting in players who will retain value to the club.

Maybe I need to labour the point.

Would you rather be like Dundee Utd selling a player for 2M and buy one for almost nothing, or say Barcelona, who bought Zlatan Ibrahimovic for something like €69M all in and then sell him for €24M a year later?

That isn't good business or even in the slightest desirable in itself, but I'd love to be in their situation where this can happen without too much worry.

You could probably divide by 10 for 20 years ago and be reflective of the top of the market - where we were.

It seems the bigger and more successful the club, the bigger the potential for losses on players. It's what happens at the top of the food chain where Rangers used to be, so not something I think we should be ashamed of.

That does NOT translate as me thinking we SHOULD buy high and sell low as a deliberate strategy in itself. But conversely I will dread the day as a club that we are more concerned with buying low and selling high than producing a team on the park that wins trophies. To that end I am more concerned about value for money than speculative investment in a player futures market.