We don't have a choice these days. We have to look at resale value of players.....we have to look at bringing in good value, improve them, then move them on @ a profit. Ceptic signed Fraser Forster when he was a 3rd or 4th choice kepper for £2m....now he's being touted for £8.5m and a regular in the England squad. Hooper signed for £2.5m and was sold for £5m. Wanyama signed for £900k and sold for a reported £12.5m. THAT'S how you do transfer business!!!!

That's the greatest enigma for me. Either sheer luck, some clever scouting (which I doubt) or some interesting connections with the English market. That said, if you look at the money thrown at foreign imports, these selling figures make "sense". Alas, we had our Hutton, Boumsong, and Cuellar moments too.

Lest we forget, we have been playing in the fourth, third and now play in the second tier of the Scottish game. No matter how great the talent and long the contract, the transfer fees we will be offered will be ridiculous as long as our players don't make a mark in a meaningful competition.

In all seriousness, it seems McCoist doesn't believe Gasparotto and Halkett are good enough.

it looks that way. with zaluskas they would be 5 and 6th choice at best.

seems crazy to me and our board are making all the same mistakes of previous ones it seems.

We need to remember where we are playing though.....

I agree with that and also agree we have to remember where we were before being too quick to copy the philosophy of a club used to a lot less success.

When was the last time a £5m+ player was brought into the Scottish game??? We simply don't have the financial muscle within our game to be paying those sorts of prices and we don't have the asset values to cover the potential debt incurred with bringing those types of players in. Our top league doesn't even have a sponsor FFS!!!

I agree there too.

We don't have a choice these days. We have to look at resale value of players.....we have to look at bringing in good value, improve them, then move them on @ a profit.

While I agree doing this will be advantageous, I will be sad if this becomes our primary goal just for us to survive.

Ceptic signed Fraser Forster when he was a 3rd or 4th choice kepper for £2m....now he's being touted for £8.5m and a regular in the England squad. Hooper signed for £2.5m and was sold for £5m. Wanyama signed for £900k and sold for a reported £12.5m. THAT'S how you do transfer business!!!!

I'm not sure how Celtic do this as I'm rarely as impressed by their players as their suitors. However, it doesn't make their fans happy and their team just looks more ordinary every season we're not there. I can't see it as something all that sustainable for them either. It could be just a good run or crafty, Delboy salesmanship that eventually gets rumbled.

We've also had a few of those ourselves in the past - Cuellar and Boumsong for example.

We regularly compete with Celtic in the youth competitions so I don't see that end of coaching as much worse than them and I can't see Lennon as the guy responsible for improving players. So just what is behind it? It would be interesting to hear theories on it and see if we can learn from it.

I can't see us being able to bring in much more than a couple of million for a Scottish player playing in any of the Scottish leagues these days, and selling a player for about £2M to balance the books seems to involve retaining a very mediocre team. I think I'd rather get someone for nothing and improve them to a £2M player and then keep him.

But I see the problem as less of a Rangers centric thing and more of a Scottish problem. We need a massive overhaul of grass roots sports, never mind just football, with a ton of investment - but where does the money come from? To me it's a priority for our tax money if we want to lower obesity and poor health as well as giving our nation its pride back.

Aye dj the guy who was thrown into a cup final at 16 years old... Lucky for him it was before walter and allys time then..

Can you recall in 2008 who became the youngest player to play in a British cup final and who was the manager who picked him at the time? :P

DU sell Gauld for around £3m, buy one of our best youngsters to replace him, while we sign players with no sell-on value.

Tells you all we need to know about the Manager and the Board.

. @dundeeunitedfc reject two bids from @whufc_official for left back Andy Robertson. Second bid understood to be £1.5M

DU making some decent money for their level of finances; however, can't see losing their best players helping their competitiveness which already hasn't been great in the last few years. They will need to find decent replacements but as not many Scottish players are going for this kind of money (which is pennies for a Premiership side), I can't imagine that will be easy.

I'm sure we will get more of these kind of offers when playing in the top tier and perhaps Europe. I will expect McLeod to be the target of far larger offers in a couple of years if we get there next season and he continues his development at the current pace.