STEVE SIMONSEN has rejoined Rangers and admits he turned down the chance to be the number one goalkeeper at other clubs to do it.

The former England under-21 has penned a one-year deal for the second season in a row after his previous agreement expired at the end of last term.

Simonsen is expected to provide back-up to Cammy Bell once again in Ally McCoist’s squad, just as he did in 2013/14.

There was interest in the 35-year-old from teams on both sides of the border including SPFL Premiership and Championship sides.

But once the former Stoke City player got a call from McCoist asking him to return to Ibrox that was the only thing he wanted to do.

Simonsen understands the likelihood is he’ll deputise for Bell again after making just three appearances against his team-mate’s 39 last time out.

But he is simply thrilled to be part of the squad against and will travel with it to America and Canada on tour after turning out in the second half of the 4-2 closed-doors win over Fulham.

Simonsen said: “I had a lot of other teams getting in contact and it was a little bit like buses this summer.

“A few in England and Scotland got in touch but as soon as the manager expressed his interest in bringing me back here again it was a non-competition.

“This was the only place I wanted to come to and there’s massive appeal here because I thoroughly enjoyed it at Rangers last season.

“It’s a fantastic football club as everybody knows. When I got the call, I just told the manager I’d be here whenever he needed me. I couldn’t wait to get back.

“I could maybe have gone somewhere else as the number one but I’m just delighted to be back and I’m looking forward to working alongside Cammy again.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7181-simmo-signs-on-again

A nice lad and a good goalkeeper but a ridiculous waste of money, to pay someone like that for perhaps one or two games a season, when there are three other goalkeepers at the Club who could take turns on the bench. One can only hope he's on less wages than last season (Perhaps the reason they kept him in limbo).

May also be a sign that there are no other players in the offing, so the wages have been used for him.

Truly bizarre.

It certainly doesn't tie in with mad Phil's supposed scoop about Nash tightening the purse strings and telling Ally that for every player coming in two players must leave, although I'm guessing Ally can argue that Simonsen isn't a new signing, just a back-up player who was given a couple of months of unpaid holiday.

It certainly doesn't tie in with mad Phil's supposed scoop about Nash tightening the purse strings and telling Ally that for every player coming in two players must leave, although I'm guessing Ally can argue that Simonsen isn't a new signing, just a back-up player who was given a couple of months of unpaid holiday.

knowing us we'll probably back date his contract to the end of the last one!

That's a good signing. There should now be absolutely no reason to keep playing Jig as a first choice central defender.

I'm not holding my breath mate. I'm sure Ally will find a role for him in the team. :(