Where is Der Berliner, he usually puts up a good update of the squad with everyone in their positions.....that will give us a good view as to where we need to strengthen. But Id guess we have enough for the season. Its still not a good long term squad but its strong enough to win this league. And Under a good tactician this squad should comfortably be in the top 2 in the country.

Bell, Simonsen, Gallacher

Foster, Faure, McAusland,

Mohsni, McGregor, Zaliukas, Gasparatto, McCulloch

Wallace, Smith

Aird, McKay

Macleod, Law, Peralta, Black, Hutton, Shiels

Templeton, Crawford

Miller, Boyd, Daly, Clark, Gallacher

28 man squad for the SPFL Championship; we certainly didn't NEED Simonsen and now that he's signed Zaliukas, I doubt he'd have signed McGregor either.

28 man squad for the SPFL Championship; we certainly didn't NEED Simonsen and now that he's signed Zaliukas, I doubt he'd have signed McGregor either.

1 or 2 will likely go out on loan. I think Ally needed to get a right back in as Foster is the only natural RB and isn't rated by a lot of fans. It will probably be trimmed to 23 with Gallacher (GK), McAusland, Gasparatto going out on loan and maybe the sale of a couple.

I used to like Kyle Hutton as a player but of all the signings and re-signings this summer he is probably top of the list that wasn't needed.

I'm relatively happy with the business we've done this window, however:

One of Simonsen / Gallacher wasn't required.

Plus one of Peralta / Hutton.

Plus either Shiels or Crawford.

And probably both Jig and Daly.

That's 5 wages - probably circa £1m p.a. less the cost of termination for those still in contract - we could have saved, or invested in a creative central midfielder.

I just wonder if McCoist is now having doubts about Cammy Bell. I'm just not convinced about Bell at all. He wasn't greatly tested last season but I thought there were one or two worrying signs. For starters he doesn't seem at all convincing when coming for crossballs and doesn't command his box. Better teams will exploit this. Maybe this is why Simonsen has been signed again

I just wonder if McCoist is now having doubts about Cammy Bell. I'm just not convinced about Bell at all. He wasn't greatly tested last season but I thought there were one or two worrying signs. For starters he doesn't seem at all convincing when coming for crossballs and doesn't command his box. Better teams will exploit this. Maybe this is why Simonsen has been signed again

There may well be concerns about bell when tested further. Don't think this is mcoists reason for signing simonsen. Just more surrounding himself with experienced pros to cover his arse..

Your assessment could be right, RAB, but Ally had ample time to weigh up Bell's capabilities before signing him. I feel that Cammy Bell is an adequate goalkeeper, while well below the standard of the Woods, Goram, Klos and McGregor. The re-signing of Simonsen, for me, at least, is difficult to understand.

There may well be concerns about bell when tested further. Don't think this is mcoists reason for signing simonsen. Just more surrounding himself with experienced pros to cover his arse..

Having an experienced keeper as back-up may or may not prove to be important, dependent on future events that are unknown.

Three main issues arise

1. Budget / Salary

2. Dundee Utd cup-tie showed SS not to be a guarranteed 'safe pair of hands'.

3. Development of youth

I tend to agree that the signing policy generally reflects Ally's short-termist approach which is based in the 20th century and will take the club no-where, or rather will be unable to compete at the top end of the top tier given economic constriants. ie. Ally can spend his way through the divisions but will (if still in a job) be shown up next season when we are shown up to be clueless and skelped by Celtic.

Just to keep us on track with the first team squad ...

Goalkeepers:

Scott Gallacher (born 15.07.1989 ) – contracted till 2015

Cammy Bell (born 18.09.1986 ) – contracted till 2017

Steve Simonsen (born ) - contracted till 2014 - extension till 2015

[Alan Smith (born 25.05.1993 ) – contracted till 2014]

Defenders:

Darren McGregor ( ... ) – contracted till 2015

Marius Zaliukas ( ... ) - contracted till 2016

Luca Gasparotto (born 03.09.1995 ) – contracted till 2014 (probably extented)

Steven Smith (born 30.08.1985 ) – contracted till 2015

Ricky Foster (born 31.07.1985 ) – contracted till 2015

Bilel Mohsni (born 21.07.1987 ) – contracted till 2015

Kyle McAusland (born 19.01.1993 ) – contracted till 2015

Sebastien Faure (born 03.01.1991 ) – contracted till 2015

Lee Wallace (born 21.08.1987 ) – contracted till 2017

Midfielders:

Kyle Hutton (born 15.02.1991 ) – contracted till 2014 - extended till 2015

Ian Black (born 14.03.1985 ) – contracted till 2015

Nicky Law (born 29.03.1988 ) – contracted till 2016

Dean Shiels (born 01.02.1985 ) – contracted till 2016

David Templeton (born 07.01.1989 ) – contracted till 2016

Lewis Macleod (born 16.06.1994 ) – contracted till 2017

Robbie Crawford (born 19.03.1993 ) – contracted till 2017

Barrie McKay (born 31.12.1994 ) – contracted till 2017

Arnold Peralta (born 29.03.1989 ) – contracted till 2017

Fraser Aird (born 02.02.1995 ) – contracted till 2018

Strikers:

Lee McCulloch (born 14.05.1978 ) – contracted till 2015

Jon Daly (born 08.01.1983 ) – contracted till 2015

Nicky Clark (born 03.06.1991 ) – contracted till 2016

Kenny Miller ( ... ) - contracted till 2015 (plus option)

Kris Boyd ( ... ) - contracted till 2015 (plus option)

Will post a 4-4-2 setup later on.

Any reason this and the Zaliukas threads are not in the transfer thread?, just saying!, it's easier to read the one thread.

I've merged the Simmo one into here since it wasn't large, but the Zaliukas thread is on it's 8th page, so we'll let that run.