Understand that but it wasn't so long ago they were a team in the lower ends of the English leagues

The money handed out to EPL teams ( as well as those dropping out) is obscene. Yet, you are right, Cardiff are a bit of a conundrum if you look at their financial stuff.

The entity participating in the Premier League is "Cardiff City FC Limited", which is a member of the Football Association of Wales.[32] It is a wholly owned subsidiary of "Cardiff City Football Club (Holdings) Limited", which is the ultimate parent company of the group.[32] There is one shareholder owning 10% or more of the issued-share capital in the ultimate parent company, Vincent Tan, who holds 51%.[32]

Principal shareholder Tan from Malaysia is founder, major shareholder and until 2013 chairman of the Berjaya group of companies.[33]

In January 2014, the club's financial records for the fiscal period up to May 2013 were revealed.[34] According to the released figures, Cardiff City have recorded a £30m loss, taking their overall level of debt to £118m, of which £66m is owed to owner Vincent Tan from loans to the club, even after the Malaysian businessman converted £2.5m into shares and wrote off £5m in interest owed.[34]

The accounts also show "life president" Sam Hammam’s Langston company was paid £22m to solve the historic debt it was owed, which included a one-off payment of £15m along with further non-interest bearing payments totalling £7m over a seven-year period.[34]

There was a reduction in revenue from £20m in 2012 to just over £17m in 2013. In terms of costs, the club’s wages and salaries rose from £18.5m in 2012 to almost £30m in 2013, the cost of sales increased by £13m in cost of sales, and there was an £8m increase in administration costs.[34]

On 13 February 2014, the club's Chief Executive Officer Simon Lim stated[35] that "the previous football management" acted in an "imprudent and careless" manner,[35] through having the club "commit[ing]...to a significant cost and liability over a five year contract for Andreas Cornelius," a player who, according to Lim, "cost the club in total just under £10 million," thus forcing Cardiff City to "realise a large loss in excess of £8.5 million."[35] Former manager Malky Mackay had defended the signing of Cornelius on the BBC Radio Wales Sport programme, on 6 February 2014:[36] "When we signed him," he'd said, "[Cornelius] was a 20-year-old huge prospect, 6ft 4in, a centre-forward who had broken into the international team,... and Danish player of the year" and added that Cardiff "outbid another European team to get him."[36] "Unfortunately for him he took a nasty ankle knock against Accrington that kept him out for the best part of three and a half months," said Mackay.[36]

They apparently have been a Championship (2nd tier) side for the best part of 10 years now though.

Before ALAN PATTULLO of the Scotsman goads you with Madjid Bougherra wants to end career at Rangers ... Madjid doesn't want too come right now, only aged 31. He looks for some EPL footie before making a one-game emotional return to us in is mid-30s.

It is possible to sense that Rangers is something he would consider towards his mid-thirties – which might not be something the club would be happy to indulge.

Fans, though, will appreciate his desire to sign off in happier circumstances than when he left in 2011, after being red carded during a critical Champions League qualifying defeat by Malmö. “I really want to come back to Rangers to finish my career there,” he said. “If I can play one more game there that is enough for me.

“Malmöo was my last game and I was sent off. This club gave me what I am today. They gave me a good image. I loved the fans. It was such a good atmosphere. I loved the club because they recognised and respected me and they never forget you.”

Rangers are set to snap up former Hearts captain Marius Zaliukus, with the 30-year-old Lithuanian joining the Ibrox club for training today prior to a move being sealed tomorrow.

Zaliukus is being released by current side Leeds United after being left out of their pre-season tour of Italy and he will join Ally McCoist’s side 12 months after a deal to join them broke down.

The 24-times capped centre back spent seven years at Tynecastle before being released last summer when the Edinburgh side entered administration and he looked destined for Ibrox last September. That move never happened as Zaliukus took the opportunity to go on trial at QPR – and when they stalled on a deal he joined Leeds, for whom he played 15 times last season.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/rangers-to-sign-former-hearts-man-marius-zaliukus-1-3463235

DU sell Gauld for around £3m, buy one of our best youngsters to replace him, while we sign players with no sell-on value.

Tells you all we need to know about the Manager and the Board.

Sadly our fans are a fickle bunch - could you imagine Ally signed loads of promising kids and never got promoted.

At this moment in time Ally needs players he can trust to get him out of this Championship.

People also forget we have arguably the best young midfielder in Scotland in Lewis MacLeod.

These maths usually don't add up ... and we all know it. Furthermore I assume that all the Arabs are utterly happy that they can sell their "Messi" for 2m and get an untried youngster in to replace him. It all might work glorious for them - at this occasion - and they sell Telfer on for another 2m. Would we indulge in such market strategy, our support would go ballistic too, as we are sure no "stepping stone" for any minor "EPL no-names". Likewise, such scheme would be regarded as a way for the board to make more money for themselves. Heard it all before. There are hardly any "rights" here, just "good" or "bad" wrongs. There sure will be the day when, after another great season, Sunderland or West Ham will bid 3m for Macleod and people will go nuts.

Right now, we look at immediate success and promotion to the top tier. Those we've signed got short-term deals (with an option). I doubt it wll be any different with Zaliukas et al. That is short term thinking indeed. But not solely at a negative level.

Rangers make move for former Hearts captain Marius Zaliukas

RANGERS have made a move for former Hearts stopper Marius Zaliukas but look set to miss out on target Scott Allan.

Leeds are ready to cancel the final year of Zaliukas’ contract after he was left out of their trip to Italy and Ally McCoist is keen to snap up the 30-year-old.

McCoist is also an admirer of Allan but Derby have taken the former Dundee United star on trial. However, it is understood Allan has not ruled out Ibrox.

Rangers, meanwhile, will face Fulham behind closed doors next week.

... sayest the Daily Record