http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/sport/keith-jackson-dave-king-jets-4467044

Keith Jackson: Dave King jets in for crunch Rangers talks - but will his deal get past Mike Ashley

Oct 20, 2014 07:44

OPINION BY KEITHJACKSON

If Wallace, Nash and Crighton remain in agreement then this package will receive boardroom support, no matter what Somers or James Easdale may think of it. But the release of new shares will also need to be approved by 75 per cent of the club’s current shareholders. And that’s the tricky bit.

The Easdale boys hold proxy votes over a combined 26 per cent including the infamous Blue Pitch Holdings and Margarita Holdings. Together, they can torpedo King and blown his plans out of the water and that’s without the added bulk of Mike Ashley who continues to cast a huge shadow over this entire fiasco.

So what is Ashley’s motivation in all of this? Well, the official line is he wants nothing more than to protect the retail deal which was gifted to him by Charles Green. And little wonder.

In fact, Ashley has boasted to some of his associates that this hugely generous seven-year contract represents the best single deal of his entire business career. But, given that the more strips he sells the more blue pounds he coins in, surely it stands to reason that Ashley should want Rangers stabilised and its supporters – his customers – placated as quickly as possible?

The fact he seems unwilling to even open dialogue with King suggests Ashley has something else in mind for this club. And that in turn makes a mockery of King’s back-of-a-taxi-cab claims to be ‘confident’ of getting his way. It’s difficult to make sense of his bullish remarks when the odds seem so heavily stacked against him.

Because if King’s ransom is not accepted by Rangers then it is almost certain that Ashley will be the only possible saviour. By knocking 
King out, he makes himself the last man standing.

And with Rangers just weeks away from falling over another financial cliff edge, Ashley can then name his price for the money which will be needed to haul it back from the brink at the eleventh hour.

In other words, by stumping up a 
life-saving emergency loan of between £10m and £20m he is buying complete control of the club, without having to increase his 8.92 per cent shareholding and running into trouble with the SFA. For that money, Ashley can take from Rangers whatever he wants.

This isn't going to end well.

For better or worse at some point you'd imagine at least one of them would be part of the board meeting King.

I wouldn't imagine that King would want them anywhere near it. His plans to oust them, their handlers and/or Ashley won't be conducive to cordial discussion.

I wouldn't imagine that King would want them anywhere near it. His plans to oust them, their handlers and/or Ashley won't be conducive to cordial discussion.

That may be true but given James Easdale is part of the RIFC investment committee, it may be unavoidable.

Scottyboy_1 (the "informed" FFer of above) on todays article ...

Anybody that knows anything about this knew nothing was coming out today i dont know where this came from, and also todays article is keith jacksons opinion and nothing more!! The king camp are pretty confident and rather bullish about the situation! Lets take it a step at a time here and get the boardroom votes counted before we go for shareholders as once the boardroom vote gets railroad through then certain investors/shareholders will no longer be in the position thwy are! Just relax bears lets not get worked up about things just yet

It was actually Lutonloyal who said it was Friday and he has posted an apology today.

I'm only going by what was posted on Gersnet and attributed to that poster.

Lifted from FF:

!!one of the people!!

Default Re: The Herald: Deadline set for Rangers to accept £16m King rescue plan

Was told last week that friday was the announcement date and a few posters on here can vouch for me as my info on the king deal has been spot on but i was told friday at the latest and that things were going well