Kenny McDowall - No quick fix

No external investments is clearly a very slim notion. It is almost guaranteed we have external investment. In fact, it is imperative we have external investment as we clearly need funding across the board for many different aspects of the Club.

Indeed. A mixture of both will bring the time frame down.

100 million in and we will win the SPL at next time of asking almost certainly. 20 million in and it will take a few years.

Edited by the gunslinger

I don't think that is true, it's Advocaat that took us way into the red - and included stadium expansion/renewal and Murray Park.

That's the point. That's what puts us above the rest of the league, we could afford this. However, times have changed and while prices and wages ave gone up massively for the best players, we're no longer in that arena of income due to TV money. However, we will still be as relatively richer that all but one club.

Again, that's the point. We had the financial clout to do it and turn it around.

Can't see how that makes it irrelevant without qualification.

Again that's the point. We will be back into the top two biggest budgets and hopefully have a reasonably high class manager with matching coaching and scouting teams.

I don't get what you're saying here. If we spend nothing it will take forever not 10 years. 100m? That should be twice our turnover in a few years.

To get to where Celtic are, we basically need to spend as much as them or as near as but with better value. To get second we'd just need to outspend the likes of Aberdeen by say double.

It's hard to put a number on what we'll need as it all needs qualified about what you're spending it on. I don't think King et al would be so confident about what they are saying without having an idea how much they need and how much they can raise but a lot of it will be based on a team in the Premiership, with nearly full Ibrox charging top prices, with at least two home games against Celtic to boost the season ticket numbers.

With Rangers back in the top tier, TV money, sponsorship and prize money will increase dramatically.

We can easily be as financially as strong as Celtic in a short time - bar the merchandise money till we exorcise Ashley. All we need is money to bridge the current gap in paying off loans (although we can live with some alternative debt to benign creditors), doing the necessary maintenance, hiring a manager and backroom staff, and putting together a squad to rival Celtic's.

I think that would take about £50m over a couple of years and I think we have the people to provide it.

Your first line is wrong. Smith did it in his second spell for sure.

I mean if we solely rely on fan money. No external investments.

In fairness we are in agreement we will need to spend as much as Celtc but a bit better than them.

Edited by the gunslinger

Indeed. A mixture of both will bring the time frame down.

100 million in and we will win the SPL at next time of asking almost certainly. 20 million in and it will take a few years.

I would be worried that the goal, should we even have 100 million, would be to win the SPL - that is again extremely short term thinking (not saying this is what you are suggesting though GS). If we had 100 million I would prefer the majority of it to go into the infrastructure to provide long term success, not short term.

Feynoord picked Larsson up for peanuts so the story stays the same. Look at the Scandinavian players Herenveen have signed and sold on over the years just because the then Chairman went on his holidays there and scouted while on holiday. There are gems to be had it is just knowing where to look.

Ok if we make the best 11 buys in history we can do it on a quarter of celtcs budget.

As long as their agents forget to call Celtc for a better deal of course.

I would be worried that the goal, should we even have 100 million, would be to win the SPL - that is again extremely short term thinking (not saying this is what you are suggesting though GS). If we had 100 million I would prefer the majority of it to go into the infrastructure to provide long term success, not short term.

Absolutely.

It could of course be done with less if you ignore infrastructure and wages going forward as we have done in the past.

Where can we compete with Celtic within 3 years?

Income

Gate money - yes, possibly more due to rejuvenated support

Sponsorship - yes

TV money - yes

Prize money - depends on how we do

Merchandise - depends on dumping SD contracts

Europe - depends on relative performances but no reason why not if we play things right

Share issues - Obviously we have the advantage here but can see them raising money to try to keep their current advantage

Expenditure

Wages - should eventually be about the same

Player purchases - big gap but as both sides have little money for transfer fees, I think this can be bridged relatively cheaply

Stadium and training ground maintenance - we have a big initial bill and then it should be similar

Debt maintenance and repayment - we have the advantage despite the Ashley loans, hopefully to be paid in full in return for equity

Executive pay-offs - TBC

So the current gap is basically: finding a new coaching team while paying for the current one, the playing squad, the immediate maintenance, the onerous merchandise deal, plus the lag in income streams.

We could equal things up in bigger crowds, no debt and far more investment.

How we do elsewhere could radically depend on an inspired choice of manager and team.

PS

Just remembered: Also we have to account for a loss this financial year.

Edited by calscot

Sidenote, the Yahoos lost last night at home in front of "41k" to the mighty Perth Saints, when a win woud have gone a long way to underline their title aspirations.

Beaten again this season. As I said earlier they've regressed quite a bit in the past three years.

Where can we compete with Celtic within 3 years?

Income

Gate money - yes, possibly more due to rejuvenated support

Sponsorship - yes

TV money - yes

Prize money - depends on how we do

Merchandise - depends on dumping SD contracts

Europe - depends on relative performances but no reason why not if we play things right

Share issues - Obviously we have the advantage here but can see them raising money to try to keep their current advantage

Expenditure

Wages - should eventually be about the same

Player purchases - big gap but as both sides have little money for transfer fees, I think this can be bridged relatively cheaply

Stadium and training ground maintenance - we have a big initial bill and then it should be similar

Debt maintenance and repayment - we have the advantage despite the Ashley loans, hopefully to be paid in full in return for equity

Executive pay-offs - TBC

So the current gap is basically: finding a new coaching team while paying for the current one, the playing squad, the immediate maintenance, the onerous merchandise deal, plus the lag in income streams.

We could equal things up in bigger crowds, no debt and far more investment.

How we do elsewhere could radically depend on an inspired choice of manager and team.

The onerous contracts are for everything. Catering. Maintenance Wi-Fi you name it.

You talk of matching them for sponsorship but right now we get a fifth of what they get and Ashley gets 50 percent of ours from 2017 as things stand.

They have a bigger stadium so matching them for ticket sales will be possible only if there fans don't go.

Europe safe to say they will get much more for 2 of the next 3 years.

They have a cash surplus we have a deficit and we are losing money while they are profitable.

Ling ling way to go to match them in 3 years and where will they be then.

Sidenote, the Yahoos lost last night at home in front of "41k" to the mighty Perth Saints, when a win woud have gone a long way to underline their title aspirations.

That league is already decided, no matter how the media try to dress it up as exciting and close.