Kenny wants Ally back

Shit against Malmo, his 1st challenge, and got worse. Results don't lie, and he was very, very consistent.

McCoist's only successes were - his salary and the penny shares he got for his soul. The guy who backed Greenco for pure, personal wealth to the massive detriment of our football club.

For once I am compelled to agree with you.

Playing Bougherra in Malmo and changing formation at half time in Maribor were tactical blunders of the highest order that cost us dear.

For some reason I have a feeling Ally will get the gig until the end of the season then if he gets promotion he could stay on. But I really hope Im way off the mark.

We already missed the boat in starting the football side up again when we went to the lower tier, I sincerely hope the board don't miss this opportunity regardless what division we are in - stay in Championship or go up.

The names heavily linked - Butcher, McCall and Davies are really all unappealing. McInnes isn't near top of my choices either but Id rather have him than the other 3.

A new gaffer is desperately needed though even if its a short term contract until the end of the season. I would probably accept Walter as he knows how to win games.

Strachan would be another who Id quite fancy permanently although my preference is to go down the Dutch route.

Edited by Gribz

For some reason I have a feeling Ally will get the gig until the end of the season then if he gets promotion he could stay on. But I really hope Im way off the mark.

We already missed the boat in starting the football side up again when we went to the lower tier, I sincerely hope the board don't miss this opportunity regardless what division we are in - stay in Championship or go up.

The names heavily linked - Butcher, McCall and Davies are really all unappealing. McInnes isn't near top of my choices either but Id rather have him than the other 3.

A new gaffer is desperately needed though even if its a short term contract until the end of the season. I would probably accept Walter as he knows how to win games.

Strachan would be another who Id quite fancy permanently although my preference is to go down the Dutch route.

McCoist won't be back. He resigned his position. It is now up to the board to agree severance with him(and McDowall too) and bring in a new manager. Hopefully that will happen in the next week or so.

As for the replacement I'd give a short term contract to someone like MCCall until the end of this season or next. no more than that to see how he gets on.

Walter Smith’s the right man for Rangers says Kenny McDowall

RANGERS caretaker boss Kenny McDowall has thrown his weight behind calls for the return of Walter Smith to Ibrox for a third time as manager.

Published: 22:38, Mon, March 9, 2015By LINDSAY HERRON AND SCOTT BURNS

Kenny McDowall has backed Rangers legend Walter Smith to revive the club

Kenny McDowall has backed Rangers legend Walter Smith to revive the club

Club legend Smith, right, has indicated he would not shun the opportunity to aid Rangers’ hopes of a dramatic top-flight return – if asked by Dave King.

McDowall, who will step down at the end of his contract, said: “Walter would absolutely give the place a lift. He’s a great man and has done so much in the game. It’s not for me to decide. It’s for Walter to discuss with the board, if that’s the case.

“We had a very successful time when he was here but times are different. It’s been a tough, tough period we’ve had since he left.”

McDowall would also like to see former boss Ally McCoist back at the club and Ian Durrant reinstated to his first-team coaching role.

Chairman Paul Murray confirmed the board have talks planned with McCoist and McDowall.

While German legend Felix Magath was in Glasgow for talks over a role of technical director yesterday, the new Ibrox regime have insisted they will take their time in appointing McDowall’s replacement.

McDowall, who needs a win over Queen of the South tonight to draw level with second-top Hibs on points in the Championship table, believes whoever is appointed will have a fantastic opportunity.

He said: “Every day, there is someone else being quoted – Walter, Felix Magath, Billy Davies, Stuart McCall and Terry Butcher.

“It’s the board’s right to talk to whoever they want. We could second guess all day, but it will be their call.

“It’s a massive job. If there’s one good thing, it’s that it is starting again with a blank canvas in terms of building the team, the stadium and the board.

“So, whoever it is, he’ll get to build his team. He’ll get the backing of the board and the supporters are all back too.

“The most important thing is the club does the right thing for the club. If that’s replacing me to get a reaction, so be it. The most important thing is Rangers get to the play-offs and into the Premiership.”

Magath has shares in the Ibrox club and wants to be involved in the new set-up under King and his board.

Rangers had initially floated the idea of the 61-year-old becoming technical director but Magath wants control of all football matters.

The club have asked Magath to devise a plan to revamp the footballing side from the age groups through to the first team and the scouting network, but he feels he could turn the toiling Light Blues into a major force again, bringing in a young Scottish coach, such as David Weir, to tutor and over the longer term promote to the top job.

Aye right Kenny ... a blank canvas.

McCoist won't be back. He resigned his position. It is now up to the board to agree severance with him(and McDowall too) and bring in a new manager. Hopefully that will happen in the next week or so.

As for the replacement I'd give a short term contract to someone like MCCall until the end of this season or next. no more than that to see how he gets on.

That is why your scenario is a bad idea for a manager.Would you risk your whole reputation for a dysfunctional team for 6 weeks. Even if you turn things around you will have no guarantee of a job as Rangers have a different system coming in next season.