Rangers loan star Vuckic reveals remaining at Ibrox is "a great option"

FREESCORING Rangers loan star Haris Vuckic today revealed he will consider extending his stay at Ibrox beyond the end of this season.

21896832.jpg

Vuckic came off the bench against Cowdenbeath on Saturday and scored two goals to help the Gers secure a vital 4-1 win.

That late brace took the Slovenian international midfielder's tally during his short spell in Glasgow this year to five.

The 22-year-old is determined to return to Newcastle United and win a place in the St. James's Park club's first team next season.

However, the player, who has become a firm fans' favourite during his time in Scotland, admitted returning to the Light Blues is "a great option".

Vuckic said: "For me now I am focused on the Rangers. I want to do well for the last seven games we have. Then we will see where we stand.

"I will see what Newcastle want as well and then I will decide what we are going to do. I have to consider all my options and what is the best for me.

"But this is a great time for me at the Rangers. I am really enjoying it. It would be a great option to extend the loan. We will see what Newcastle say."

The deal to take the five Newcastle players to Rangers on loan has been shrouded with controversy since it was agreed last month.

Former Gers boss Kenny McDowall revealed that he learned of the agreement while he was watching Sky Sports News on television.

And last week Light Blues interim chairman Paul Murray told how the Ibrox club was paying for the quintet - who did not undergo medicals before signing.

It has also emerged that Gael Bigirimana, who has not featured, had contracted a medical condition before arriving in Glasgow.

But Vuckic has been a huge success - and was given a warm reception from Rangers fans when he came on in their SPFL Championship game at the weekend.

The one-time AC Milan target had been struggling with an injury - but he has featured as a replacement in the games against Hibs and Cowdenbeath.

He said: "It means a lot when I have fans behind me. That gives me confidence and makes me think that I am doing very well here.

"With that support behind me, every chance I get I am going to do my maximum and try to make fans happy.

"Of course, my team needs to win the game. If teams win the game then fans are going to be on our side. That is what I try to do.

"We have another seven games this season - and we must do well in every one of them starting with the game against Hearts at home on Sunday.

"With the fans getting behind us after the last two matches, I think it will help our chances of doing well and getting the result we want and the fans want as well.

"I know that it makes me feel good when they are behind me and makes me want to do well for the team when I am playing."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/rangers-loan-star-vuckic-reveals-remaining-at-ibrox-is-a-great-option-201790n.121883554

Very interesting comparisons. Shaw/Shearer shurely?

Cooper/McLean maybe.

Bud/Davy and Davy's the man.

McCoist/Forrest?

This really needs a new thread.

I agree that Davy was a great wee player, plenty of guts and guile. Wee Bud on the other hand was the best we've ever had at hanging a cross ball, and more foreby.

The lad looks good enough to contribute to the level we need to be at next season if we go up. I don't think I'd pay money for him if we have little to spend because getting a proper central midfielder, centre half, and striker is more important to me. Would be a good attacking midfielder for us though if he's out of contract or if we can loan him again. Suppose a lot will depend on what level of arsehole Ashley wants to be or if better offers go in for him.

On the issue of money, I was a bit disappointed to hear Murray saying 15-20 million over three years. I wasn't expecting the higher sums mentioned in the build up to the takeover but was hopeful of at least ten million in the team. Everyone on the other side probably thinks it will take quadruple that to get near them but they have sold all their good players. We all knew they would despite the guff about an independent strategy. With an untested manager and bang average team, I'd be wanting to have a wee go at them straight away if we go up. I know they will have been banking cash and will spend again but who knows how good the players will prove to be or how long it will take for them to settle.

It makes no sense to to me to stagger investment in the first team. We have a decent enough supporting cast in the squad at the moment for the spl. All we need is a few leaders and pieces of quality in important places like suggested above and we would have a team better than the rest and capable of upsetting them in our games. Barring injuries we would make enough of a fist of it to get the crowds back. Can't see the sense in not doing this immediately if the money is there because it will need to be done at some point. A decent bit at the start to make us competitive and then season after season would make a huge difference.

But I'd take Vukic no problem after I'd signed the other three players :)

Edited by The Deedle

He looks like a luxury player to me. He is not a worker and is probably always going to be best coming off the bench. Whether we can afford this type of player will depend on what players we have in midfield/forward positions as luxury players can win you games but you need the others to work so much harder to make up for him.

If I am being harsh on him it is probably because he is being judged on only a handful of games, and he clearly lacks match fitness/sharpness. Time will tell if he can make the step up to 90 minute contributor and not go hiding for long spells in games. I look forward to seeing if he is the real deal, then we can perhaps talk about a deal for next season IF he is a free agent.

Vuckic has looked ok - perhaps lacks a bit of pace and decision-making can be poor but there's no doubt he's a talented footballer.

Problem is we won't be able to afford him.

Vuckic won't be on that high a wage at Newcatle.

If we can't afford this type of player then we've big, big problems ahead.

Once Jig & McCoist are off the payroll we should be better off

I would send him back as I don't want Rangers licking Ashleys ass. Only if it is part of a deal to fill up what he has robbed us of would I deal with Newcastle. That would be roughly playing for free for us next term which is not likely,