Warburton to Fulham?

Despite MW and Fulham previously denying any link, Al tweeted that RFC had offered MW a new contract and more money to spend in January because of Fulham's interest. MW tweeted a short time later saying coverage was 'shockingly incorrect, appalling and disrespectful'. I don't know Al's source but it seems to be inaccurate.

No-one is naive enough not to realise what happens in private isn't always the same as public comments. MW will play the game as much as anyone in that respect but his reaction here seems telling to me in that he tried to play down the initial links and some have unfairly taken that as an opportunity to unsettle him and our club. Let's remember Richie and Al may be bears but they're also journalists first and foremost.

Will such coverage help or hinder Rangers? That remains to be seen but our manager - astute or not - is extremely annoyed so while I'm also one for cautioning against taking umbrage with every little negative media story, on this occasion it's worth standing alongside Mark Warburton when he's being so straight with us.

MW could have been categoric with definitive language from the outset instead of playing speculatiuon down, he wasn't.

So you get a media feeding frenzy including 'info' coming out to make AL/RW go with tweets/a story.

Accurate or not (at whatever stage) I'm more than happy to stand beside MW because I think he has been in control and I think and hope that the 'winner' from all this will be the ongoing re-build of Rangers.

Edited by buster.

Why are we all assuming Warburton is going to leave all his good work for someone else to come in and take over? I see the magic hat being at rangers for many many years, hes always going on about the history of our club and personally i think mark Warburton will be up there alongside the ' bill struth's' and all our other successful managers....

Bruno, I certainly hope so. But we'd be naive to think that if he propels us back to the top of Scottish football and gives us a level of success in Europe, if a top 4 team from the EPL, or a big European club cam sniffing around, he'd not be interested. I certainly hope he'll be here for many years, but eventually we'll need someone else to come in and carry on. If he doesn't start attracting interest from top European teams, I'd be a little disappointed in all honesty! (And I'm sure he would too!)

It's all part of football and nothing new,players come and go and so will managers!,however I'm confident Warburton will finish his project before he leaves,look at the work he is doing with regards to back room staff,we are a work in progress and I don't see him leaving before we are back at the top of Scottish football.

I'd agree with you but I'm sure Richie and Al will be the first to admit they don't get everything right either and in this case I think their sources were wrong.

On Tuesday night MW was very clear about staying at Rangers - yet the coverage continued, suggesting he wasn't being truthful or worse. This continues today and I'm sure MW will have noted this ahead of future press calls.

Was he very clear though? I felt all along he could have made the story go away in a second by unequivocally stating 'I've no interest in going to Fulham or any other club at this time and won't be leaving Rangers in the foreseeable future'. Had he said that the story dies, but he didn't, he was ambiguous enough to allow the story to run for another day until he eventually did make a very clear statement.

For the record I don't have any problem with Warburton using the apparent (and I believe Fulham are/were interested in feeling Warburton out) interest from Fulham to remind everyone he has other admirers. I have no problem with Fulham making advances on our manager and I've no problem with our board intimating they'd improve his package rather than see him leave.

Warburton is clearly an intelligent man but I wonder if having not spent his entire working life in football means he sometimes misses the nuances of the professional sport, particularly the media side of it. I'm all for holding the media to account but there was a 'story' here and I don't feel their 'reporting' on it was unfair. By complaining about it we run the risk of being seen to complain about 'everything' and that could lead to us being ignored on the genuinely important things.

Was he very clear though? I felt all along he could have made the story go away in a second by unequivocally stating 'I've no interest in going to Fulham or any other club at this time and won't be leaving Rangers in the foreseeable future'. Had he said that the story dies, but he didn't, he was ambiguous enough to allow the story to run for another day until he eventually did make a very clear statement.

For the record I don't have any problem with Warburton using the apparent (and I believe Fulham are/were interested in feeling Warburton out) interest from Fulham to remind everyone he has other admirers. I have no problem with Fulham making advances on our manager and I've no problem with our board intimating they'd improve his package rather than see him leave.

Warburton is clearly an intelligent man but I wonder if having not spent his entire working life in football means he sometimes misses the nuances of the professional sport, particularly the media side of it. I'm all for holding the media to account but there was a 'story' here and I don't feel their 'reporting' on it was unfair. By complaining about it we run the risk of being seen to complain about 'everything' and that could lead to us being ignored on the genuinely important things.

There may well have been an initial story but the reaction from Fulham and Warburton was clear enough for me from Tuesday night onwards that there was no mileage in the rumours.

Again, like you say, I agree fans have to pick and choose what battles to fight with the media - and in this instance I'm happy to stand alongside our manager given his strong words on the issue. And let's be clear: our manager has said the coverage was 'shockingly incorrect, appalling and disrespectful'. That suggests the reporting was far from fair and I'll take his word over any journalist.

Seems clear enough to me - with the caveat that he was perhaps attempting to underplay the issue by not using overly strong language.

Since then Fulham also went on the record to say they had no interest but still the coverage continued and, indeed, intensified for reasons only the BBC journalists and their sources know.

Seems clear enough to me - with the caveat that he was perhaps attempting to underplay the issue by not using overly strong language.

Since then Fulham also went on the record to say they had no interest but still the coverage continued and, indeed, intensified for reasons only the BBC journalists and their sources know.

on the wireless.....they had me convinced he was going

There may well have been an initial story but the reaction from Fulham and Warburton was clear enough for me from Tuesday night onwards that there was no mileage in the rumours.

Again, like you say, I agree fans have to pick and choose what battles to fight with the media - and in this instance I'm happy to stand alongside our manager given his strong words on the issue. And let's be clear: our manager has said the coverage was 'shockingly incorrect, appalling and disrespectful'. That suggests the reporting was far from fair and I'll take his word over any journalist.

It appeared clear to you but it wasn't clear to journalists who have to or should deal in facts.

The fact was that MW hadn't at that stage been definitive in his language. That was his choice and he left it hanging but did manage to say enough to convince many of our own support.

The Fulham denial has been said to not have come from the club itself and so is being disregarded by the likes of Lamont/Wilson.

The BBC story is still up and was updated this morning to include the MW tweets last night.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34980312

Reading between the lines, it looks to me as if there has been contact between the clubs but not between MW and Fulham.

And that some ongoing varients may have changed or are about to be changed but that it will be positive for the ongoing re-build.

And that MW is staying and didn't have any intentions of going to Fulham.

And that I may be wrong.

Edited by buster.