Warburton to Fulham?

The story the BBC ran about the board being willing to increase Warburton's salary and transfer budget was written by Richard Wilson and Alasdair Lamont - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34980312 I wouldn't class either as people who'd purposely try to damage Rangers or Warburton despite their employers. Indeed I'd go as far as to say if they are claiming board sources there might be some veracity to it.

I'd agree with you but I'm sure Richie and Al will be the first to admit they don't get everything right either and in this case I think their sources were wrong.

On Tuesday night MW was very clear about staying at Rangers - yet the coverage continued, suggesting he wasn't being truthful or worse. This continues today and I'm sure MW will have noted this ahead of future press calls.

If we can breathe a sigh of relief now then rest assured it will happen in the near future every time a big job comes up. I'm terrified that when we eventually do lose him who we will get. No way could McInnes fill his boots now for example. I just cannot imagine a credible candidate who can give us stability by staying for a decent length of time. Wouldn't be so bad if Weir was groomed as his successor, thus assuring continuity but it is now normal in these situations for coaches to take their assistants with them.

Being willing to do something to keep a man who has transformed the team? Gosh, imagine that.

They may have been asked 'If someone came for MW would you offer increased contract?' to which the answer is clearly yes. Doesn't mean they HAVE offered it, just that they would if needed.

I agree, but it's still a story, no? When Dundee Utd were looking for a manager John Hughes was being discussed openly in the media as their favourite despite his contract with ICT and him answering all questions about it with the 'I'm the ICT manager and don't want to discuss another club, thanks' type of line. Football is an industry that runs on whispers, inside knowledge and 'say one thing but mean another'.

There is a recurring theme between BBC Scotland(Pacific Quay CSC) and anything Rangers related ; wishful thinking is presented as factual information.

Last evening, Tom English had Warburton leaving because of family, increased remuneration, and the greater challenge of the English Championship leading to the subsequent increased challenge of the Premiership. Further, the Rangers supporters wouldn't be happy with the sop of Rangers legend, Davie Weir being presented as the new manager.

Seriously, extrapolation follow follows extrapolation. Still, Tom's main supporter in such fantasy was, Joe Miller!!!!!

There's no issue with the initial link - that happens all the time and RFC, MW and our fans have to deal with it.

The problem is the subsequent coverage which appears to be inaccurate - stuff about new contracts and increased transfer budgets. That suggests MW may be manipulating the link for his own ends which he's clearly very annoyed by. Remember, MW has been nothing but respectful to the Scottish media since he arrived. He could have looked to create a siege mentality to get the fans onside early doors but instead he chose to work with BBC Scotland instead of against them.

Essentially he's now had that co-operation thrown back in his face. It's no wonder he's angry but, like us, I'm sure he's also unsurprised.

I listen to Radio Scotland every morning on the way to work. Their 7.25am sports bulletin highlighted MW's comments but still went on to play an excitable Tom English saying our season would be finished f he left and the club would be staring into the financial abyss once again. What a load of old cobblers.

I think many of us are too ready to jump on the media at any given opportunity. That isn't to say that they sometimes don't deserve it but by constantly and almost automatically directing blame towards them, no-one pays real attention or is very interested as it is diluted in the weekly deluge, (note. the RST going through formal channels v Spence is different). On many occasions, I think the most effective way to protest against X in a commercial enviroment, is to completely ignore them.

The media are what they are and they have developed / been taken in a direction alongside new technology that has further downsized on finance, quality and often accuracy. I look at 90% of the footballing media in Scotland and see the same relative downsizing and the same lack of quality as the game on the pitch.

Regards MW, I don't know how inaccurate the 'subsequent coverage' has been and haven't read anything on this since last night.

However the Lamont tweet mentioned Fulham being in touch with Rangers and the MW tweet said no contact between Fulham and him. Lamont is a relatively serious journalist although he has been known to go along with 'toxic ideas and arranged doorstepping on TRFC directors' but I'd be surprised if he made the tweet up. Begs the question of from what source did the info come.

The other thing I'd say is that MW is intelligent and didn't take the siege mentality route because he knew it can only go so far and that entertaining football and communication were all good for him, the team, the club and filling Ibrox. He should also know that the media would be all over this Fulham link like a feeding frenzy. So it was up to him how he wanted to play it and to a great extent, lead it.

Here IMO is the most impoprtant thing, MW hasn't just got a magic hat for footballing matters,...I think he has a good heid for a game that combines poker and chess. That heid I think is joined by determination and drive to get by any obstacles that are put in his way and this I think is where he differs from the likes of PLG. I am hoping that what became a predictable media circus will have actually been constructive for the ongoing development of the football operation.

Edited by buster.

I think many of us are too ready to jump on the media at any given opportunity. That isn't to say that they sometimes or some even often deserve it but by constantly and almost automatically directing blame towards them, no-one pays real attention or is very interested as it is diluted in the weekly deluge, (note. the RST going through formal channels v Spence is different). On many occasions, I think the most effective way to protest against X in a commercial enviroment, is to completely ignore them.

The media are what they are and they have developed / been taken in a direction alongside new technology that has further downsized on finance, quality and often accuracy. I look at 90% of the footballing media in Scotland and see the same relative downsizing and the same lack of quality as the game on the pitch.

Regards MW, I don't know how inaccurate the 'subsequent coverage' has been and haven't read anything on this since last night.

However the Lamont tweet mentioned Fulham being in touch with Rangers and the MW tweet said no contact between Fulham and him. Lamont is a relatively serious journalist although he has been known to go along with 'toxic ideas and arranged doorstepping on TRFC directors' but I'd be surprised if he made the tweet up. Begs the question of from what source did the info come.

The other thing I'd say is that MW is intelligent and didn't take the siege mentality route because he knew it can only go so far and that entertaining football and communication were all good for him, the team, the club and filling Ibrox. He should also know that the media would be all over this Fulham link like a feeding frenzy. So it was up to him how he wanted to play it and to a great extent, lead it.

Here IMO is the most impoprtant thing, MW hasn't just got a magic hat for footballing matters,...I think he has a good heid for a game that combines poker and chess. That heid I think is joined by determination and drive to get by any obstacles that are put in his way and this I think is where he differs from the likes of PLG. I am hoping that what became a predictable media circus will have actually been constructive for the ongoing development of the football operation.

Despite MW and Fulham previously denying any link, Al tweeted that RFC had offered MW a new contract and more money to spend in January because of Fulham's interest. MW tweeted a short time later saying coverage was 'shockingly incorrect, appalling and disrespectful'. I don't know Al's source but it seems to be inaccurate.

No-one is naive enough not to realise what happens in private isn't always the same as public comments. MW will play the game as much as anyone in that respect but his reaction here seems telling to me in that he tried to play down the initial links and some have unfairly taken that as an opportunity to unsettle him and our club. Let's remember Richie and Al may be bears but they're also journalists first and foremost.

Will such coverage help or hinder Rangers? That remains to be seen but our manager - astute or not - is extremely annoyed so while I'm also one for cautioning against taking umbrage with every little negative media story, on this occasion it's worth standing alongside Mark Warburton when he's being so straight with us.

If we can breathe a sigh of relief now then rest assured it will happen in the near future every time a big job comes up. I'm terrified that when we eventually do lose him who we will get. No way could McInnes fill his boots now for example. I just cannot imagine a credible candidate who can give us stability by staying for a decent length of time. Wouldn't be so bad if Weir was groomed as his successor, thus assuring continuity but it is now normal in these situations for coaches to take their assistants with them.

It's a given that he'll move on eventually, that's the nature of football. The day's of a Fergie or Wenger spending decades at a club seems long gone in the modern climate and it's inevitable that if Warbs achieves a good level of success with us, he'll be poached to a bigger team and I don't think anybody would resent him for that if they're entirely honest. The hope is, that in building his reputation to get the big offer, he makes Rangers a credible opportunity for another up and coming manager looking to make a name for themselves and carry on the work. Warbs' job is to get us back to where we belong and to lay the foundations for the next man to follow him.

It's a given that he'll move on eventually, that's the nature of football. The day's of a Fergie or Wenger spending decades at a club seems long gone in the modern climate and it's inevitable that if Warbs achieves a good level of success with us, he'll be poached to a bigger team and I don't think anybody would resent him for that if they're entirely honest. The hope is, that in building his reputation to get the big offer, he makes Rangers a credible opportunity for another up and coming manager looking to make a name for themselves and carry on the work. Warbs' job is to get us back to where we belong and to lay the foundations for the next man to follow him.

Why are we all assuming Warburton is going to leave all his good work for someone else to come in and take over? I see the magic hat being at rangers for many many years, hes always going on about the history of our club and personally i think mark Warburton will be up there alongside the ' bill struth's' and all our other successful managers....