The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

I expect (in hindsight mind) we continue to sign guys the calibre of Tavernier Halliday Holt and Waghorn.

Barton was a sidestep though maybe because we've moved up a 'level'...a shrewd move definitely but don't think we need more of him rather than more of the aforementioned, just a thought. The guy from America (striker) looks a good buy.

Edited by Bearman

Steven Taylor set to hold signing talks with Rangers

By Sky Sports News HQ

Last Updated: 05/06/16 10:43pm

Former Newcastle defender Steven Taylor will hold signing talks with Rangers on Monday, according to Sky sources.

The 30-year old, who made 268 first-team appearances for Newcastle, is a free agent after his contract at St James' Park expired at the end of the season.

Taylor was offered a new one-year deal at the club but decided the time is right to move on, and is now expected in Glasgow for discussions on Monday, with Celtic and two Turkish clubs also reportedly interested in his services.

Taylor had been at Newcastle for 21 years, coming through the club's academy, and he made his debut for the first team in March 2004.

He has previously played with new Rangers signing Joey Barton when the pair were at Newcastle.

Announcing he was to leave the Magpies, Taylor said: "It will be a huge wrench to leave Newcastle but I've been offered exciting opportunities both in the UK and abroad and I'm really looking forward to my next challenge.

"I've loved my time at Newcastle. I'll always be a huge fan of the club and I'll be returning to St James' Park as a supporter whenever I can."

In his last season at the club, Taylor was forced to sit out between August and February with a hamstring injury but returned later in the campaign, with his final match coming in Newcastle's 5-1 thrashing of Tottenham on the last day of the Premier League season.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11788/10305140/steven-taylor-set-to-hold-signing-talks-with-rangers

It's strange being linked with these inconceivable transfers, and then they turn out to be accurate. Like Barton, I thought Taylor way above our ability. 5 years ago I thought he was one of the best CB's in England; to be linked with a player of his calibre is unbelievable. I'm still not sure he fits our ball-playing mould, but he is the physical player that we've been crying out for. His injury record is very worrying, but that's probably why we are in with a chance of completing the transfer.

In Warbs we trust.

Edited by Rousseau

Agree re ball playing but what we have lacked as well as a proper centre back is someone who can lump the ball upfield or into row Z when we are trying to see out a game.

Too many late goals have been lost as a result of this.

Well, from the looks of it, Taylor suffered two serious ones rather than the Templeton variety. By the sound of it, he was back to fitness at the tail end of last season. We might also keep in mind that he will be facing SPFL opposition now, not the likes that Arsenal, Spurs, or ManU throw at him.