The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

Regardless if we sign him or not what a difference to only a few years ago that we are being linked with quality players and have signed high profile players,good times ahead again,we are back!

IF the signing of RVP comes of, I think it would be classed as one of the biggest signings of Scottish football EVER.

True, we have signed the likes of Butcher, Arteta, Gascoigne & Laudrup in the past.....but that was in a time when there was a LOT more cash(credit) kicking about in the Scottish game - we could attract the big names which being relatively competitive with English wages/transfers.

Now a days, there is very little cash available, yet the prestige of playing for Rangers is still an attractive prospect for players - Krancjar & Barton being the most recent examples.

IF RVP signs, I would expect the Eastend & the media to initially go into shock, followed by a barrage of "how can they afford him", "Financial meltdown at RFC: Pt2" etc.

I think Souness was the 'biggest ever signing' in Scottish football and thereafter the surprise / impact element wasn't as great.

Although Maurice Johnston and Gazza might run him close.

----------------

I can't see how RVP can be viable but football can be an unpredictable place.

If we did have access to such finance,.... I think it could be spent more wisely

I think Souness was the 'biggest ever signing' in Scottish football and thereafter the surprise / impact element wasn't as great.

Although Maurice Johnston and Gazza might run him close.

----------------

I can't see how RVP can be viable but football can be an unpredictable place.

If we did have access to such finance,.... I think it could be spent more wisely

I disagree,if we were to sign RVP then it could be the difference in winning the title and then the obvious European football/cash,also the entertainment value he would add,all positive for me if it were to happen.

I disagree,if we were to sign RVP then it could be the difference in winning the title and then the obvious European football/cash,also the entertainment value he would add,all positive for me if it were to happen.

Mibbes aye mibbes naw !

The cruz of the matter being, what would a 33 year old RVP bring in 2016/17 regards state of mind and body #gamble

Agreed....there are more benefit than simply what he offers on the pitch.

IF he was to sign, and play regularly, It would sent a clear message out to other players that this is a club worth playing for. Merchandise sale would go through the roof, if we weren't completely knackered in that area just now.

While it's a bit crap to think that a club our size have been lowered to what is at first glance, unrealistic dreaming about signing a guy who is at the end of his career, and currently playing in a far less wealthy country like Turkey, it could raise our international profile somewhat, and make it easier to attract higher profile players.

Is it worth offering him a couple of million a year for a couple of seasons, to get people through the gates and raise our profile on BT Sport and Sky? That could also pay off in commercial income which I think is way under-tapped - when you consider that the likes of Dortmund bring in something like £260m from that department... Now Germany have about 16 times the population but they also have about 8 times as many big clubs - so how come we cant bring in conservatively say a quarter of that?

Trouble is, a couple of million might not be enough if he's on the reputed 5m for two seasons. Can we do a deal for him to retain his own merchandising and endorsement rights (like you hear about for Becks and Ronaldo)? It makes no difference to us at the moment - which if it's legally possible and within the rules, currently gives us an advantage in that part of the negotiations.

It all seems a bit of a stretch, and it's depressing to think we're stuck in the cesspool of Scottish football for the foreseeable future, while focusing on enjoying the new brand of football and hopefully being the best in a shit league, and putting the highly tainted number two team back in its place.

I still think the England and the "Union" owe us an invite to a British league after their nefarious and ultimately hollow, "Better together" campaign. The irony is that Europe will be far kinder to English teams even though the English have unceremoniously given most of them the two fingers.