The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

As our admin over on the German board just noted ... the media jumps on this probably only to give us a nice rollicking laugh in a week's time under the headline "Van Persie snubs Rangers". How could "we" have dared to hope ...

Edited by der Berliner

... and taking up on the above, some likely fallout that goes with such rumours (this time from FF):

The thing with this is, regardless of who we actually end up signing now it will be a huge anti climax after all this Van Persie nonsense!

That's my problem with these kinds of threads.

We get linked with van Persie and even though you know it's nonsense when we end up signing some striker on a free from League One in England who scored 7 goals in 30 games last season you just know there will be guys on saying they feel "underwhelmed".

IF the signing of RVP comes of, I think it would be classed as one of the biggest signings of Scottish football EVER.

True, we have signed the likes of Butcher, Arteta, Gascoigne & Laudrup in the past.....but that was in a time when there was a LOT more cash(credit) kicking about in the Scottish game - we could attract the big names which being relatively competitive with English wages/transfers.

Now a days, there is very little cash available, yet the prestige of playing for Rangers is still an attractive prospect for players - Krancjar & Barton being the most recent examples.

IF RVP signs, I would expect the Eastend & the media to initially go into shock, followed by a barrage of "how can they afford him", "Financial meltdown at RFC: Pt2" etc.

As much as the rumour has been doing the rounds for a while amongst credible folk, I can't see how it's possible.

The guy earns far too much for us to afford to pay him. Is he really going to come here for a paycut of at least 80%?

In terms of our end, I could see the thinking if we were able to make much of the outlay back via strip sales etc but we can't. It just doesn't seem realistic on any level unless there's something we're not being told.

Edited by Frankie

Whilst it all seems like a fairy story, it would indeed be a massive capture if it were to come off. RVP is a player who has scored more or less a goal every other game throughout a career at top flight clubs as well as 50 goals for Holland in 101 appearances. However he will be 33 in August and his injury record isn't great, missing 22 games in 2013/14 and 9 games in each of the last two seasons. He still managed to score 16 in 31 games in the Süper Lig last season. He also has an assist every 4 or 5 games played.

If we could get him on a 2-year deal, he wouldn't need to play every game and I'd fancy him to score plenty in the SPFL.

What a load of dross. How some folk are falling for this nonsense is incredible.

We laugh at the tims putting stories in the papers aabout how they are going for this star and that star for £XM and £xx pw wages only for them to just miss out and eventually sign another nobody for a fraction of the dough previously mentioned.

Our board and signing policy to date gives absolutely no credibility to a signing of this nature. I know it is the silly season, but that is beyond silly.