Breaking: Rangers serve notice on retail agreement with immediate effect

Some clarity from Grant Russell here:

http://stv.tv/news/west-central/1354505-rangers-spark-sports-direct-kit-war-as-club-withdraws-badge-rights/

Rangers have sparked a fresh battle with Sports Direct after effectively terminating the sportswear firm's right to sell goods featuring the club's badges.

The Ibrox side have terminated an intellectual property agreement with Rangers Retail Limited, a joint venture company between the club and Mike Ashley's business.

Under the terms of the deal, which Rangers are tied to for a further seven years as they serve a notice period, Sports Direct receive the lion's share of revenue generated through retail sales of club-branded goods.

The move, in theory, will continue to allow Sports Direct to exclusively sell goods manufactured by Rangers Retail Limited.

But with Rangers now the sole holders of the copyright, the products won't be able to carry club trademarks.

In a statement, the club said: "Rangers Football Club Limited has today served notice on Rangers Retail Limited terminating the IP Licence and Rights Agreement with that company with immediate effect.

"The club now needs to speak to its commercial partners to agree the next steps flowing from the termination and will make no further comment on this matter whilst discussions are ongoing.

"The club will endeavour to communicate further with its supporters and customers for Rangers kit and other Rangers products as soon as it is in a position to do so."

Sports Direct were unavailable for comment when contacted by STV.

But it's not SD we've given notice to, it is Rangers Retail. My feeling is there must be a loophole they've found, whereby they can remove the rights from RR. The SD deal technically still stands, but they won't have anything to sell if they don't have the rights.

I have a feeling THIS is why we paid back the £5mil and since then we've making sure we are watertight.

Be funny if all the other court cases proved to just be useful distractions!

That might be true and it's the line taken by Grant Russell.

We'll see how accurate that is soon enough.

That might be true and it's the line taken by Grant Russell.

We'll see how accurate that is soon enough.

If I'm on the right track, it's a bloody masterstroke. This is what I want the board to do. Short, snappy statements without giving the game away.

It must be much easier to get on with business when most of the rangers talk is now about the football rather than contracts etc

Great news. I can only assume the board and their lawyers have been building a case and now feel they have a solid argument.

The day that this deal is terminated will be a record breaking sales day for our tops. I haven't bought one in about four or five years so I'm defo due a couple!

"Sports Direct were unavailable for comment when contacted by STV."

The usual suspects/blogs will be getting briefed as I type to bring us the spun version.

It is to be expected that SD are keeping quiet for now. They will be looking at all legal papers\issues with a fine tooth comb.