[FT] Aberdeen 2 - 1 Rangers (Halliday 79 pen)

Quite. Felt we'd been mugged today (and it was a scandalous decision to give a free kick). But we're still doing what we did last season: dominate without making it count and giving absolutely ridiculous goals away. It's early days but the summer recruitment has, for the most part, done nothing to address it. We've added loads of players but our strongest eleven has barely changed: Hill or Senderos for Kiernan and maybe Windass or Rossiter, depending on the game or squad rotation.

How many more muggings will you tolerate?

We are feeble right now - Who is responsible for that lack of backbone?

Oh for an Albertz or Ian Ferguson who would just smash the ball from 20+ yards and either score or we would get a goal from a rebound, they try to walk it in and take too many touches, when all you need is to take it into space and hit it at first sight.

Can guarantee although it's a small step it would make a big difference to our play.

Oh for an Albertz or Ian Ferguson who would just smash the ball from 20+ yards and either score or we would get a goal from a rebound, they try to walk it in and take too many touches, when all you need is to take it into space and hit it at first sight.

Can guarantee although it's a small step it would make a big difference to our play.

I was thinking that too when watching our play...when we hit a brick wall our cut backs are begging to be skelped, but we seem to revert to trying to pass the ball past a big parked bus. Never mind Ferguson and Albertz, Halliday and Holt could try it - of course, they could be under instruction not to wallop from that distance as a block could rebound up to the half-way line and cause major problems for our defence.

I'd like to see at least one of our players have a pot when the ball gets played back to the 25/30 yard mark.

I still have faith in the manager as we need to give him time with the new set of players but I'll be honest I'm kind of slowly edging that way myself after today. After where we have come from over the last 3/4 years, I admire the possession game we are trying to adopt but it needs more bite in the final third. For the amount of ball retention we have, we create very little in terms of out and out chances in a lot of games rarely trouble the opposition keeper. I can't blame the strikers as I feel they are getting very little in the way of service. It would be a different story if we created chance after chance and our strikers were firing blanks but they're not even getting the chances IMO. I know we created a few today but to quote Advocaat from back in the day, they were not 100% chances. They were half chances and "moments". I still feel we need that player that can play in the lines between midfield and our strikers.

I thought there were multiple clear cut chances. Off the top of my head Garner had what amounted to almost an open goal just yards out with a header and somehow fired it over the bar then Waghorn found himself in the same position. Just yards out open goal inside the box on his favoured foot and he too somehow scoops it over the bar.

I don't even know what 'backbone' is supposed to mean in terms of a football match? Is it supposed to mean they're scaredy cats or something? Afraid of opponents? Not only is that totally meaningless it's illogical. If anything a number of them are too aggressive at times.

Let's break it down to the basics. They played the better football, that's good. They created good chances and failed to take them Garner and Waghorn in particular, that's not good. The first goal was chronically poor concentration and it wan't because of anyones 'backbone' it was a drastic lapse of concentration.

The second goal came from a foul that was never a foul and again absolutely nothing to with anybody's backbone. They need to concentrate at all times defensively and take the chances their superior play creates. It's as simple as that and backbones which again I don't even understand what that's supposed to mean in terms of this match or any other match for that matter have no relevance.

I want Rangers to win every game, but realise that's huge ask this season. Every game is like a cup final, teams are desperate to stick to the man,.

I can see what MW is trying to achieve and it's great to watch when it's working, but when your team is constantly involved in dog fights, neat and tidy doesn't always cut it. We need to mix up our fighting style , adopt a mixed martial art sort of style,. Bit of this a bit of that, neat and tidy passing, when applicable, not so neat long ball, untidy catch teams on the break when possible. We're a bit predictable, easy to read, one dimensional atm.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

I don't even know what 'backbone' is supposed to mean in terms of a football match? Is it supposed to mean they're scaredy cats or something? Afraid of opponents? Not only is that totally meaningless it's illogical. If anything a number of them are too aggressive at times.

Let's break it down to the basics. They played the better football, that's good. They created good chances and failed to take them Garner and Waghorn in particular, that's not good. The first goal was chronically poor concentration and it wan't because of anyones 'backbone' it was a drastic lapse of concentration.

The second goal came from a foul that was never a foul and again absolutely nothing to with anybody's backbone. They need to concentrate at all times defensively and take the chances their superior play creates. It's as simple as that and backbones which again I don't even understand what that's supposed to mean in terms of this match or any other match for that matter have no relevance.

it means weak willed

not going far enough or doing enough - in this context to do what is needed to come away with 3 points

we're not ruthless

basically they don't look like winners.