[FT] Ross County 1 - 1 Rangers (Hill 8)

Bad defensive coaching is why we lose goals

We have stopped much of the scoring against us. County worked their move rather well, blocking out two CHs and creating space for someone. Similarly to the Doonhamers last season. Too bad that the lad was there at the right time. That is not our main problem though, as we simply do not convert enough chances up front ... mainly because too many people simply don't take responsibility and pass the ball instead of shooting themselves.

If you take the Celtic game out of the equation as an outlier and for this season not too relevant, we've lost 8 goals in 11 games to the rest of the league. I'd say that's not too bad, and actually championship challenging defending - and the same as Celtic.

However, the real problem is the number of goals scored which is 15 in 11 games against the rest. That's mid table scoring form, and another level from Celtic's 34.

To compete for the title or for now, a good second place, you need an average of about 2 goals a game or more but this season we've rarely looked like a team who are pre-destined to score a brace, the Kilmarnock game apart.

So for me, as long as we're shipping just the one, single silly goal, I'm not too bothered about the defence and would rather concentrate on the attack until we sort that out first.

We have been so average since March, in the league . We have won 9, drawn 8 and lost 5. scoring 31 and conceding 30.

Signings have added nothing , really frustrating to watch.

That is pretty sackable form for a Rangers manager - even in our current financial plight. I can't see Warburton getting sacked by the board unless it gets a lot worse, but if it doesn't get any better by the end of the season, I think a guy like Warburton would do the honourable thing.

We really need to start seeing some consistent progress, and for someone who's always been sceptical of some of MW's philosophy, I'm finding it hard to be optimistic.

For me, I think one of his kpi's is to win around 2/3 of the games and he's missing that by a fair margin - at 58% for this season in all competitions and 42% for the league.

His all time record against Premiership clubs is again 42% and even when you add 10 games against Premiership hopefuls of Hibs and Falkirk, it only improves to 45% against the top 14 clubs in Scotland in 29 games.

For me, I think one of his kpi's is to win around 2/3 of the games and he's missing that by a fair margin - at 58% for this season in all competitions and 42% for the league.

You are harsh. We have won the league in the past with only a 50% win rate.

Watched the BBC highlights which aren't too flattering to us historically but it seemed be back to the usual tale - missed a load of good chances, tav can't hit a barn door, sloppy defence for their goal. Poor show, but sadly not surprised.

You are harsh. We have won the league in the past with only a 50% win rate.

Probably different times, but for a more recent comparison, in a horrendous off-field season with administration and a 10 point penalty, McCoist managed it in the league - 68.4%, 26 wins out of 38, and was considered a failure. So I can't see how I'm being harsh.

But in any case, it's not me being harsh: it's the reality of the league - Lennon managed 78.9 that year, and Rogers is currently sitting on 90.9 albeit in only 11 games, but he's well on the way to over 67%.

The season before McCoist, Walter achieved 78.9% with Celtic at 76.3%, so 67% wouldn't have been anywhere good enough to win.

The season before that it was 68.4% to 65.8%.

And then 68.4% to 63%.

So I think that target is quite a good fit what we minimally need to achieve to have the slightest chance of winning the league - and at least challenging somewhat and finishing a distance from third.

But there can be no argument that 42% is not going to cut it. I realise that you get a point for a draw, but at Rangers, draws need to be pretty minimal, they hurt us too much, which is why grinding out wins can become very important.