Transfer Rumours and Deals - Winter Window 2016/17

I know it's like a broken record, but why is every player we are "linked" with play in the most over-inflated league in terms of quality and value for money. We are not going to build a title-winning squad/side from freebies and cast-offs from England with little to no sell-on value.

I repeat that I don't believe anything the gutter tabloids print concerning our club, so I take this thread with plenty of salt, but after 18 months and going into his 4th window I can't believe MW/we can only scout/source players from one country.

I will reserve judgement until 1st Feb.

Why are they all in a 50 mile radius of Liverpool or have played in that radius. I thought MacFarline(?) would be a great addition all he has done is cut down the jobless numbers in the Liverpool area. (Slight exaggeration):D

The DR quickly moves to add some insult to injury, saying that Brentford want to keep Jota (at least till the summer):

Rangers dealt blow in pursuit of Brentford winger Jota

Bees boss Dean Smith says he is excited to have the Spaniard back at Griffin Park after a loan spell at Eibar.

Rangers have been delivered a New Year blow in their quest to land Spanish ace Jota on loan from Brentford.

The winger is among Mark Warburton's top targets this month having worked closely with the 25-year-old during his time in charge of The Bees.

Jota is seen as the type of classy left-sided player who could add a new dimension to the Rangers attack.

But Brentford boss Dean Smith says the Spaniard is firmly in his plans for the second half of the season as he returns from a loan spell with La Liga shock troops Eibar.

And the player this afternoon Tweeted his delight at being back with the Londoners.

Very thrilled about this new time in @BrentfordFC , looking forward getting started!!!

— Jota Peleteiro (@KingJota) January 1, 2017

Speaking last night the London club's boss said the Bees fans would be buzzing to have the playmaker back at Griffin Park.

“We know the supporters love him and there's a mutual affection there," Smith said. "I spoke to him three or four weeks ago and he's looking forward to it. We're excited to have him back from his first spell with us.

“I knew it would give the fans a lift and he wasn't playing over in Eibar.

“He's sorted his personal problems out but the big thing for me was he expressed a desire to come back.

"He phoned me and told me he wanted to come back and I was only too happy to accept it.”

Rangers boss Warburton Warburton made a secret trip to Spain earlier this month in a bid to personally persuade Jota to move to Glasgow.

The player is returning return to Brentford from Eibar six months ahead of schedule after falling out of the first team reckoning.

Warburton believes he can lure Jota to Scotland as the player will be out of contract at Griffin Park in the summer.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/rangers-dealt-blow-pursuit-brentford-9545877

Good to know that the DR, once again, knows what MW believes ...

Before we start to think of signing anyone would it maybe a good idea to get Barrie McKay on a longer term contract. AFAIK his current deal is only til end of next season.

After a slow start this season he has now more than adapted to the top division & is now showing himself to be invaluable to Rangers. Him & Foderingham were excellent yesterday. I fear we will get offers for both of them this month

Don't think we can take those values too seriously. If we were to do that Senderos is the most valuable after Kranjcar.

Nope, of course not. It is something calculated according to who the player is, where he comes from, played for, national & international experience, length of contract and whatnot. It sure does not include the demand-value that inflates the e.g. English market, buy-out clauses and the like. Yet, as they apply it to each and everyone, you at least get some basic value for all players listed there (from all over the world). But the "value" is probably the least important info you can get there.

Edited by der Berliner

Brentford players or ex-players.

EPL players who were good in 2005.

Loan players from EPL youth squads.

I get that we have financial constraints, but is it just me, or do we lack a little imagination in our recruitment policy?

Hopefully it will improve as the 'project' progresses. Let's see what happens this month then in the Summer when there should be a lot more available than there will be in January.

Before we start to think of signing anyone would it maybe a good idea to get Barrie McKay on a longer term contract. AFAIK his current deal is only til end of next season.

After a slow start this season he has now more than adapted to the top division & is now showing himself to be invaluable to Rangers. Him & Foderingham were excellent yesterday. I fear we will get offers for both of them this month

I will be very pleasantly surprised if Mackay signs another contract, the one year extension (when apparently a longer deal was on the table) was clearly deliberate on his part.

I will be very pleasantly surprised if Mackay signs another contract, the one year extension (when apparently a longer deal was on the table) was clearly deliberate on his part.

I've no idea what McKay earns but I bet it is much less than the likes of Wallace, Wlison, Halliday etc, etc.

That needs to change. He needs to be offered a new deal on terms similar to those players I mentioned