Transfer Rumours and Deals - Winter Window 2016/17

I think his problem is that he crosses way over the line and then point blank refuses to take a step or two back.

All you said is true but it was known by everyone well in advance so why then do you instruct your players to air their grievances in front of the squad.

If you tell a guy to speak his mind you can't then cry when he says something you don't want said.

In a football dressing room after a defeat what's the limit to what you can say?

All you said is true but it was known by everyone well in advance so why then do you instruct your players to air their grievances in front of the squad.

If you tell a guy to speak his mind you can't then cry when he says something you don't want said.

In a football dressing room after a defeat what's the limit to what you can say?

You seem to know more exactly what happened than me...

I got the impression that he said something derogatory to the team, a teammate slagged him back and he couldn't take it, and went into meltdown mode.

But even in the scenario you give, I think there's always a line you should stay behind even when asked to talk candidly. And if you overstep it, it shouldn't be hard to backtrack a bit and maybe apologise.

There was an quote by one of his ex-teammates that rang true to this affair and I get the impression that he can be very charming, affable and persuasive when things are going well, but he seems to have a circuit breaker switch that when tripped, just can't be reset.

St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright admits he would be interested in bringing Michael O'Halloran back to the club - but does not think Rangers would let him leave Ibrox.

Record Sport exclusively revealed last week that the jet-heeled winger was wanted by his former club.

The wide player has only made 18 starts since leaving Perth in a £500,000 deal almost a year ago, and recent reports suggested Rangers would allow him to leave on loan this month as they have signed midfielders Jon Toral and Emerson Hyndman.

But Wright said: "I don't think Michael's available for loan. If he was, that would be a player I would urge the chairman to go and try and sign for us, but Michael is under contract at Rangers.

"If there is going to be speculation about his future at Rangers it's easy to see we would be a club that would be suited for him but there's been nothing formal."Wright is focused on trying to extend the contracts of the likes of Brian Easton and Danny Swanson rather than adding to his squad.

The Saints boss said: "We're looking but I can't see anything happening. The strategy is to try and make sure we get everyone retained that we want to keep.

"We have lost the likes of Dave Mackay, Brad McKay and John Sutton who had to leave, and young players have left while they were all still under contract."There's a cost to the club in that and that has to be factored in to everything we do."

Do we even know what happened? The guy has consistently shown throughout his career that he's a complete tool so chances are he was well out of line.

FWIW my understanding was he had a point a very valid point but crossed so far over the line there was no way back.

FWIW my understanding was he had a point a very valid point but crossed so far over the line there was no way back.

So it would seem but my point is that however far over the line he went it is clear that it was not far enough to warrant a charge of gross misconduct leading to instant dismissal or even dismissal after a hearing.

The reasons I say it was rank bad management are that the initial suspension (presumably on full pay) was extended (for no obvious reason), which is very unusual if not unique in my experience; Barton clearly outplayed Rangers management strategy with his sick note; and therefore eventually we had to pay him off.

I have a bad feeling that the senior players simply told MW that they weren't prepared to play in the same team or perhaps have him in the same dressing room and that forced Rangers hand. I would stress that this is just my theory, I don't have any evidence to back it up.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Tommy Wright can forget about it. We are not going to spend money on a player then just give him back for free.

We probably haven't paid more than half the money; they might be prepared to give up whatever's owed to get him back. He's had plenty of opportunities and proven he's no use to us.

The reasons I say it was rank bad management are that the initial suspension (presumably on full pay) was extended (for no obvious reason), which is very unusual if not unique in my experience; .

It's not that unusual. Happens a lot in business.