[FT] St Johnstone 1 - 1 Rangers (McKay 23)

I don't think the goal (conceded) was the difference in performance or anything to do with our heads going down, but from the fact that St Johnstone matched our formation just before they were gifted the goal. We then didn't have the overload in the middle (Miller, Windass, Holt and Halliday were playing against 2 centrally!) for us to play through them.

It was a nice twist from the Manager, but I'm disappointed we couldn't make it work after they matched us. Even going back to a 4-3-3 was not a bad move, but our execution was poor.

One again though the only attacking "tactic" from our opponents was lumping the ball into the box, which we dealt with very well.

Edited by Rousseau

13 mins of highlights from Russian Rangers ...

http://rangersfc.org/index.php?dn=news&to=art&id=2009

... the only minutes I saw. We looked rather well till their goal and should have been up by a couple or more. IMHO, as was with the end of last season, we simply do not take enough of the chances we create. One can slate Kiernan or Halliday the other week all day, in essence, the heaviest bucket goes to the strikeforrce who simply fail to hit the target. Even though sometimes you have to wonder about the charmed life the opposition's goal live.

Last season, a blunder like Kiernan's might not have cost us victory, this season the opposition is better and makes you pay for any goal dropped. What seems to be obvious is that some simply can't maintain their performance levels at 100% consistently for a number of weeks ... or their standard is not what will take us to the next level (even though, realistically, we wouldn't expect that level before next season).

We sure need a creative midfielder and a striker who will convert anything that dros into the penalty area. Right now, Miller, Garner and Waghorn too are far too dynamic for my liking, alsways everywhere but constantly posting missing where they can hurt the opposition. Wonder at which point Dodoo's time will come, since he was rather prolific ...

I could end this year without the Scum game. Right now, it looks like we might play against them all day without scoring, but their strikers take next to any opportunity coming their way. Usually, the formbook goes out of the window in an Old Firm game, but ...

As a striker, totally ineffective.

It's one thing being a good trier, and Garner certainly is that; but the primary job of a striker is to score goals. Garner has 3 in 17 league games including none in the last 9 over two months.

We paid £1.47m for his services which transfermarket rate at about a third of that.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/joe-garner/marktwertverlauf/spieler/46111

He scored goals in League 1 but struggled apparently as a lone striker in the Championship; so we overpay for him and ask him to play a similar role.

I don't understand the logic behind that decision, can anyone enlighten me?

Oh and BTW who is our most effective striker, why one 37 year old Kenny Miller with 4 goals and 4 assists in 19 games, more or less a goal or an assist every other match. Until we can find someone better, he gets a start in my team every time.

Why not play Joe Dodoo instead of Miller ?

13 mins of highlights from Russian Rangers ...

http://rangersfc.org/index.php?dn=news&to=art&id=2009

... the only minutes I saw. We looked rather well till their goal and should have been up by a couple or more. IMHO, as was with the end of last season, we simply do not take enough of the chances we create. One can slate Kiernan or Halliday the other week all day, in essence, the heaviest bucket goes to the strikeforrce who simply fail to hit the target. Even though sometimes you have to wonder about the charmed life the opposition's goal live.

Last season, a blunder like Kiernan's might not have cost us victory, this season the opposition is better and makes you pay for any goal dropped. What seems to be obvious is that some simply can't maintain their performance levels at 100% consistently for a number of weeks ... or their standard is not what will take us to the next level (even though, realistically, we wouldn't expect that level before next season).

We sure need a creative midfielder and a striker who will convert anything that dros into the penalty area. Right now, Miller, Garner and Waghorn too are far too dynamic for my liking, alsways everywhere but constantly posting missing where they can hurt the opposition. Wonder at which point Dodoo's time will come, since he was rather prolific ...

I could end this year without the Scum game. Right now, it looks like we might play against them all day without scoring, but their strikers take next to any opportunity coming their way. Usually, the formbook goes out of the window in an Old Firm game, but ...

No, it usually doesn't. It's a tired old football cliche that contradicts the statistical facts

Edited by SteveC

Rangers defender Rob Kiernan will get SFA hammering for punching me claims St Johnstone defender Steven Anderson

The centre back can get done by retrospective punishment but the footage won’t be studied by the beaks until after the New Year - freeing up the former Wigan man to face Celtic.

Steven Anderson reckons Rob Kiernan will be clobbered by the SFA after punching him in the guts.

The St Johnstone skipper accused the Rangers man of a low blow in last night’s 1-1 draw at McDiarmid.

Kiernan was seen lashing out just before half-time but the incident was missed by referee Crawford Allan.

The centre back can get done by retrospective punishment but the footage won’t be studied by the beaks until after the New Year - freeing up the former Wigan man to face Celtic on Saturday.

Anderson insisted it was a clear dig - and he warned Kiernan he’ll be facing a SFA rap.

Ando said: “Yes, Kiernan punched me. It was a corner and he caught me in the ribs. Brian Easton saw it as well. It was a clear punch on me.

“If that’s the way he wants to play then it’s up to him - but he is going to get done for it.

“You can’t do that in football games. I’m not bothered but if it gets highlighted then he deserves it.

“There was nothing happened before it. I was marking him at a corner and there was a bit of argy bargy - then he punched me.

“The referee said he did not see it and you can understand it because there was a lot going on in the box. The linesman has probably not seen it either.

“I didn’t shake hands with Kiernan after the game but only because I was too busy shaking other people’s hands and clapping the crowd.”

Saints boss Tommy Wright backed his captain - and insisted his side should also have had a penalty after Kiernan hauled back Joe Shaghnessey in the box late on.

Wright was thrilled as his side recovered from an early Barrie McKay opener to force a leveller when Kiernan’s slack back pass was cut out by Steven MacLean.

He said: “If Ando says he was punched then I believe him. I didn’t see it but Joe Shaughnessey thinks he should have had a penalty off Kiernan as well.

“The Macca challenge was a clumsy one and you’d probably get that one outside the box.

“The referees have a difficult job to do.

“We’ve got to be pleased with the point. We thought they would change to a three at the back and they did. They caused us a few problems in the first half but we matched them up and limited the amount of clear cut chances they had.

“It was a really disciplined performance from us."Some people might say the goal was lucky but we worked at pressing them in the right areas and forcing mistakes."

Gers boss Mark Warburton insisted he didn’t see the Kiernan punch but he backed the defender following his gaffe.

He said: “I haven’t seen the incident. I’ll watch it again tonight when I get home.

“As for the goal. It was a mistake. We are all human. Show me someone who doesn’t make mistakes. How did Rob Kiernan respond to the mistake? Did he shy away from the ball or from a tackle? No, he didn’t. So all credit to Rob. As long as he learns from his mistakes, as we we all must do, I’ve got no problem with that.”

Warburton admitted he was disappointed his side’s four game win streak grind to a halt in Perth - and he’s now facing an injury sweat ahead of Celtic on Saturday with Lee Wallace missing last night with a hamstring problem and Clint Hill limping off with a dead leg.

Warburton said: “I feel like we are leaving here having dropped two points,rather than having gained a point.I thought we were very good in the first half and should have been one or two ahead at half-time.

“We weren’t and that’s disappointing. In the second half, it wasn’t as good a level of performance but I felt we were controlling it and weren’t really threatened.

“Lee will be touch and go, no doubt about that. Fingers crossed, because he’s our skipper and a very influential player. He has been outstanding.

“Clint was an impact injury tonight, more of a dead leg type. He is a quick healer, so touch wood we can get him ready.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-defender-rob-kiernan-sfa-9529562

No, it usually doesn't. It's a tired old football cliche that contradicts the statistical facts

Which you have handy? :shifty: I vividly remember our NIAR days and the years before that very well and quite a number of games* when we were top of the league, yet the Scum came - not least in cup games - and gave us a fight that made you wondering who was top. And the corresponding results did not always reflect the games as such. But perhaps I should change "usually" to "quite often".

*Since they were more often than not the only ones you could listen full length on BFBS / BBC 2 / Five Live.

Regarding Kiernan ... what are the odds that he gets punishment? I think we still wait on the judgement on Curran's attack on Hill when we played Accies months ago. Oh wait, there was no investigation at all!

Spot on.

In the event that Kiernan gets done we should accept the punishment but also question why others who have committed assault (which is what Curran's elbow on Hill was) seem to have been allowed to continue unabated. Consistency doesn't seem to be a problem for just our players or referees but also the compliance officer....

I wish garner would learn to gamble in running to the front or back post. Miller put a fantastic ball straight across the goal that only needed a touch and there were no takers for it.

I know you will think I am just reverting to type but from my seat in row C right behind that goal, I saw Miller look up, saw that Garner (the only target) was holding his position, and then still hit it across the face of goal. It looked a good ball but he could see nobody was going to be there, so it was in fact a terrible ball.

Even more annoying than that though is that there was only one player in their box to try to get on the end of it, and that player is Garner who looks as likely to score as a Wilson/Kiernan defensive clean sheet, so perhaps Miller was going for the Waghorn "goal" from the weekend hoping for a defensive mistake into his own net!