The end of the beginning: Rangers v Celtic

I must admit, I think having a back-three and Tavernier in the team worked better than a back 4 with Tavernier: Tavernier would've bombed forward leaving Wilson/Kiernan and Hill at the back against their three (assuming Hodson would also play slightly forward at LB), which gives me nightmares.

Well, for all his industry, Tav is - IMHO - not as good a right back as Hodson, and not a "midfielder in waiting". He obviously works his socks of there, has the odd good foray up the park, a good cross or two, but you do wonder what a right-sided full blooded midfielder c-/would do. Some more physcial strength than Holt is required on occasion, but then again, you do expect a certain return from a midfielder to get a starting slot. We do need a Holt chap next to Halliday to contain teams like the Scum. I feared more for our left side, as Wilson was essentially covering Windass' forays, but we did okay there. A chap who controls our midfield is still a requirement though. Someone with composure and a good pass in him. A quick pass at that. We had them at the ropes each time we played quickly, even the Austrian commentator mentioned that and mused why we did not exploited that Yahoo weakness more often. He, continuously, also reminded the listeners and onlookers about the difference in quality and monetary backing though, were actually praising us for being as forceful and good as we were, the promoted team who is playing against a Champions League team and holding their own.

I can't believe anyone thought Holt played any part in the game. The only time I can remember his name being said was when he made a last man tackle when playing last man when we had a corner. The only other time was when he came off.

I would bet that Warburton thought he did. Holt was involved more than that. Started and ended the first half attacking for us, for example. However mainly I felt that he really worked his socks off and covered acres in the cause. Ran himself into the ground, in fact. Second half, like nearly everyone else, he faded and in his case was, as I say, run into the ground. I presume he had been told to do that given the ground he covered. I'm not going to argue too strongly with you though as I find that I rarely judge OF games clearly.

Edited by SteveC

At the start of the season Barton, Krancjaer & Rossiter were signed presumably to make the 3 in the 4-3-2-1 formation we'd been playing last season.

These signings never worked out for one reason or another & we're back to Halliday & Holt from last season with Windass thrown in who looks well out of his depth.

Our MF today was well short of what we need & this need improved next month even if it's loan signings.

We also need a physical presence up front who can get goals to play the 1 up front

Celtic could play between the lines far too easily. Halliday, Holt or Windass never got near Brown, Armstrong or Mcgregor. Even with 5 in midfield we could not get the better of 3.

We're 19 points behind. It wouldn't take a huge amount of money to catch them next season, but the board are going to have to start spending proper money.

Mind you, if the manager's going to make a repeat of the Garner signing, then God help us.

Hard to see how we can get close to there spending after green giving away the family jewels.

Any players brought in next month must be good enough to go straight into the starting XI. We don't need any more squad players

We should only sign players capable of winning the league. If we cant afford them save up for them.

We can come second with what we have.

We should only sign players capable of winning the league. If we cant afford them save up for them.

We can come second with what we have.

It might not be popular with some of us but I think we need to consider loan signings even if just in the short term.

If we can't afford to pay serious money for quality players we need to look at other all other options if we want to catch the yahoos next season.