Well who's next

Well that's it, then. By Paul le Guen out of Ronnie Deila.

Why, oh why, did the interview panel not consult a stud book? So obvious, but yet again we are undone for the sake of fifty bob.

1999–2003 Desportivo Beja (youth) - Portugal

2003–2004 Vasco Gama Vidigueira

2004–2006 Sporting CP (assistant) - Portugal

2006–2007 Al-Hilal (assistant) - Saudi Arabia

2007–2008 Panathinaikos (assistant) - Greece

2008–2009 Rapid București (assistant) - Romania

2009–2010 Saudi Arabia (assistant)

2010–2011 União Leiria - Portugal

2011–2012 Nacional - Portugal

2013–2015 Santos Laguna - Mexico (under him Cup Winners, Regional Champions, and Mexican Champions)

2015–2017 Al-Gharafa

Doesn't hang around. On that record alone I don't think he'll succeed.

2013–2015 Santos Laguna - Mexico (under him Cup Winners, Regional Champions, and Mexican Champions)

2015–2017 Al-Gharafa

There is something really fishy about our fanatical pursuit of this guy. He has done next to nothing and yet we were willing to buy his contract out when there are other managers with better CV's are sitting at home. No doubt the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

He reeks of our Deila.

He neither reeks of Deila or Le Guen, as they were both weak leaders who were openly disrespected by players within the dressing room. This guy is one very tough cookie (as confirmed by players who have played under him e.g. Weiss, Crosas). Nobody, including the press (and I include that arsehole Sutton) will mess with this guy lightly. A very big difference this time for me.

I'm not saying he's the real deal, but I'm quite excited by the prospect that he might be. Any of the other 'usual' suspects getting the job would have left me feeling very dull and unexcited about the future. I give you Walter's glowing tribute to McInnes - "we wouldn't go far wrong in appointing him". FFS does that not sum up the enthusiasm that must come across from the old guard!! Eh Walter - it's various degrees of wrong that we want to escape from!!! We need something fresh and positive!

Edited by Anchorman

He did well in Mexico. Before you all laugh/snort knowingly in derision, it is a country of 120+million, and has the 4th best supported league in the world.

For those less insular in outlook, here's a bit of background on Mexico's Liga MX, from The Guardian a month ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-agony-and-the-ecstasy/2017/feb/09/football-league-liga-mx-mexico-club-america-chivas

There is something really fishy about our fanatical pursuit of this guy. He has done next to nothing and yet we were willing to buy his contract out when there are other managers with better CV's are sitting at home. No doubt the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

What do you mean by "fanatical pursuit"? He was one of a number of people the club interviewed and was clearly the favourite. As the favourite, is our club not correct to then do what it can to get the main target? If the interviewing panel select him, I'd be deeply annoyed if we didn't then get him. Wouldn't you?

As for him achieving nothing so far, maybe that's the lure to bring him to the most successful team in the world. It's a brave decision by the board rather than a "fishy" one. I'm astonished at the level of criticism. Our history is full of players who achieved nothing before they came to us. We've had successful managers in the past who had achieved nothing before coming to us.

This appointment may not work out, but I'm delighted that an under pressure board showed the bravery to bring in a relatively unknown guy with new ideas rather than the same old brigade. Good on them. And shame on many of our supporters who are writing us off before he's even arrived in Glasgow.

Welcome Pedro!

2015–2017 Al-Gharafa

Based on that he should be nowhere near Rangers

i don't understand this appointment at all

i don't see the rationale behind it or whose decision this is

Edited by jhunter

Pedro Caixinha is a huge gamble for Rangers, but one worth taking after a miserable return

PEDRO CAIXINHA is a big risk - but the Rangers' performances this season make it worth it.

By Bruce Archer

PUBLISHED: 20:32, Thu, Mar 9, 2017 | UPDATED: 20:50, Thu, Mar 9, 2017

Alex McLeish, Derek McInnes, Alex Neil, Tommy Wright even Alan Pardew and Gary Roweet to a certain extent.

All would have been a safe pair, but the Rangers board have decided to roll the dice. Go for the unknown.

The panel were blown away by the charismatic Portuguese bull fighter in London and he quickly became their first choice target.

It has still taken time to make things happen. His compensation deal with Al Gharafa the main sticking point.

He wanted to be in charge for the Celtic game this Sunday but it looks like he will sit it out.

That could be a blessing with Brendan Rodgers' side looking rampant. He won't have even had time to memorise everyone's names let alone worked out how to instruct Clint Hill and Danny Wilson to deal with Moussa Dembele and Scott Sinclair.

Hamilton a week later is a better starting point - not to write off the derby which obviously still matters and will go a long way to determining which players remain in the fold long-term.

But Caixinha's appointment is a risk whichever way you look at it, although the turgid performances at the end of the Mark Warburton reign mean it's one that is worth taking.

Rangers were brutal. Sloppy, unorganised, tactically overwhelmed by being back in the top division.

Now they sit third with a tall order to overtake Aberdeen.

Warburton got it very wrong in the summer after a good first season. Too many ageing players. Too many injured players. The team didn't improve. But now he, Frank McParland and David Weir are gone and Rangers have started again.

The mess of the director of football situation remains unsolved, and how the club can appoint a manager without having that role filled beggars belief.

But they've gone for it, been brave, and stuck their necks on the line. They deserve credit for that but Dave King's position will be just about untenable if it goes wrong.

Caixinha, like Warburton was at the time, is a left-field choice having spent a season in the Portuguese third tier, one in the top tier, three in Mexico and two in Qatar as a manager and 10 years as an assistant prior to that.

But appointments like Marco Silva’s at Hull prove there is quality out there and this could be a similar.

Rangers have only had two foreign managers in the past and they had mixed success. But it shouldn’t take long to see if Caixinha is more Paul Le Guen or Dick Advocaat.

He needs to get stuck into the players and get them heading in the right direction. He's got a third of a season to figure out who he wants and what he needs to do in the summer. There is likely to be a big overhaul.

The fans will back him and seem excited to have him on board - particularly given the other candidates that were available.

But results and performances are all that matters and that's what did it for Warburton in the end.

Caixinha will be expected to make an impact almost straight away and if he can't the knives will be out.

Can this bull fighter handle the china shop? It will certainly be interesting finding out.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/777278/Pedro-Caixinha-Rangers-gamble