Rangers v St Johnstone - match preview

I thought taking off Toral was the right option. He (and Holt actually) were tiring and we needed fresh legs. Halliday has been awful lately but was the right choice last night and Holt went onto finish the game strongly.

It was a completely understandable decision, but I just felt Toral's calmness on the ball and his better control could've been effective in seeing out the game, slowing it down, talking the sting out of it. Admittedly it could've been risky too considering he was, as you say, tiring.

I agree about the midfield.

It worked out in the end!

Meant to say, only the second time this season we have scored more than two goals in a league game. After 27 league games I never thought any Rangers team would ever have that sort of record. Hopefully we can now start scoring more freely if we can get Waghorn to play like he did last night more often and get him some proper support.

I dont think it is any coincidence that in the three games Hyndman has played in a more forward midfield role, he has scored and in the games he has played in the holding role he hasnt. This kid has an eye for goal and gets into good positions in the box, it was disgraceful management by Warburton and Murty to play him in a deeper role.

Miller usually does most of his work from deeper and wider positions. Essentially he's more of a link player than a striker per se.

Last night he was pretty quiet by his standards but if people are basing his contribution this season just on goals then they're being wholly disingenuous. In an ideal world he wouldn't be one of our first picks but in the failure of others to do any better that means he is for the time being.

I didn't think he made that many tackles. I can think of one good one that he made. Early on, he seemed to slow down rather than make a challenge, and he still seems to go deliberately missing at times. He certainly improved during the second half and he's good when lying deep and making passes, but there's usually so much more to the game than that.

He doesn't work hard enough and is a luxury we can't afford when we play Celtic.

Yeah, that midfield doesn't inspire me against teams who won't be as poor as Saints were last night. But Toral did fine last night - both in a defensive and possession sense which is what he was there for.

Like TB, I'd be inclined to play Tav there instead as he's stronger, more mobile and decent on the ball as well (usually) but our lack of defensive options in midfield is a real concern ahead of most games, never mind Celtic.

"In any case, we can play some decent enough football, had 21 shots tonight, 11 on target. Again, our achilles heel is and remains not converting enough chances. This time, it almost shot us in the foot again." - dB.

Our Achilles' Heel is our inability to defend a lead.

We will always lose the odd goal, it is in the nature of the game. To win a game, you need to score goals, which is obvious, of course. Thus, IMHO, our main drawback and thus Achilles heel in games is not doing that. But perhaps you find a better term.

BTW, my vote for a 3-5-2 or 4-1-4-1 at home comes from watching Miller and McKay moving about the front line all day. Miller is quite good at finding people, make a split second pass or getting into attacking positions vacated by others (as we saw with our second goal) - which obviously means he's not in the middle to score goals. I'd use him and McKay in attacking midfield, with a main striker in the middle still, someone who is there to convert the chances created. Be that Waghorn or Garner. Given the movement of Miller and McKay, the rest need to be aware of the spaces they vacate and cover those - not least when defending - accordingly. IMHO, Hyndman, Holt and Toral did that admirably last night.

Anyone read any headline saying ... "Ten-men Rangers dig deep to seal victory"?

Alas, we find this sympathetic article across the water ...

Rangers 3-2 St Johnstone: Teddy Bears seal first win in over a month

Emerson Hyndman's stoppage-time winner handed 10-man Rangers their first win in over a month as they edged out St Johnstone 3-2 at Ibrox.

Barrie McKay and Martyn Waghorn put Gers ahead but Saints looked to have rescued a point when David Wotherspoon and Steven Anderson hit back for Tommy Wright's men.

But Gers - a man down after defender Rob Kiernan was dismissed for a dangerous tackle - grabbed a morale-boosting win as on-loan Bournemouth playmaker Hyndman sank Saints at the death.

The result sees the Light Blues cut second-placed Aberdeen's lead to six points, while Saints missed the chance to overtake Hearts in third.

Murty recalled Clint Hill and Jason Holt in an attempt to shake some life back into Gers after they lost to both Dundee and Inverness.

The alterations had the desired impact early on as Rangers started with the kind of positive surge that was badly lacking in recent weeks.

But the Ibrox faithful could be forgiven for thinking they were in for another evening of disappointment as Hyndman twice lashed wide while Jon Toral also wasted a decent headed opportunity inside the opening 15 minutes.

This remains a Light Blues line-up whose reserves of confidence are perilously fragile, a fact underlined when on-loan Arsenal midfielder Toral gifted possession straight to Saints hitman Steven MacLean despite being under no pressure at all.

The Spaniard's relief as MacLean sliced wide was clear for all to see.

With Gers needing a goal to calm fraying nerves, McKay delivered on 22 minutes, arrowing a fine first-time strike into the bottom corner after the ball broke to him from Lee Wallace.

Within seconds of the goal, though, there was another warning as Blair Alston fizzed wide, but Zander Clark did well to push away a curling Holt effort just before the break.

St Johnstone should have levelled within 90 seconds of the restart. Keith Watson put over a perfect cross from the right but Liam Craig somehow nodded wide from five yards out.

From that let-off, relieved Rangers took advantage as Waghorn doubled their lead on 48 minutes, darting across the front post to flick home Kenny Miller's cross with his head.

Both sides made appeals for penalties, but referee Kevin Clancy waved away Waghorn's claim after a Brian Easton barge before booking Anderson for taking a dive at the feet of Wallace.

Substitute Joe Garner should have made it three moments after replacing Miller on 64 minutes but he somehow smashed the ball against the post from point-blank range.

With Gers taking their foot off the gas, that appeared to be a costly miss, especially when Wotherspoon gave them a jolt in the 74th minute as he swept the ball past Wes Foderingham to give Saints a lifeline.

And it was panic stations again 13 minutes from time as Kiernan was dismissed for a needless lunge on Graham Cummins before Anderson slotted home when Craig's corner broke to him three minutes from the end.

But Rangers regrouped for one last push. Danny Wilson launched the ball forward to Hill, with his knockdown dropping for Hyndman 18 yards out.

The American still had it all to do but he found the top corner with an emphatic finish.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/rangers/rangers-32-st-johnstone-teddy-bears-seal-first-win-in-over-a-month-35494530.html

Talk about a "Get out of Jail" card....

Missed the 1st 30 mins, but was impressed with the rest of the 1st half.

2nd half we started well, but I thought our performance dropped notably when Miller went off. This got me thinking.....While I am not the biggest fan of Miller re. his strike rate, I did wonder if we missed his "leadership" on the pitch??? Almost as soon as he left the pitch (64mins), our performance dropped & Saints scored (74mins). Could Miller maybe be a more effective Captain/leader than Wallace???

Once again, I felt Kiernan had a major effect on their goal....if he had stood strong, there is a very good chance that it would have been blocked. I think he knew this as well - he was sent off 4mins after their goal - I think he was trying too hard to make up for his mistake. To me it was a clear Red card. While not the most "vicious" of tackles, he did lunge, straight legged into the back of the Saints player & was very late - an easy decision for the Ref.

Thought that McKay, Waggy & Hyndman all had excellent games - all seemed keen/hungry to receive the ball & make things happen.

So far, Garner has done nothing to indicate that he is a prolific goal scorer, and didn't think he brought ANYTHING to the team when he came on. Time to give some of the other strikers that we have a wee shot, whether that be Dodoo or some of the youngsters.

Felt pleased for Murty, he's been thrown into a position, he really doesn't want to be in & is doing his best. At least he now has a win against his name.

I agree with you about Miller. I don't rate his ability either (but have obviously enjoyed his crucial goals), but in a team which lacks leaders it is very obvious how much we dip when he isn't on the field. As well as finding 3/4/5 new players in the transfer window, we need to make sure that at least one or two of them have leadership qualities. We've got some really good players but even with a quality manager we will need a few players on the field to keep the team going when the inevitable tough periods arise. Players with the skill and leadership qualities are rare and therefore costly but I hope the board supports the manager/DoF financially to fill this chasm. I don't think Miller will play next season (not that often anyway) and other than Wallace (the quiet leader) we have no one that has those qualities.

Clancy is really good friends with my cousin. They both used to attend Parkhead in days gone by til my cousin moved to London. Now they share the odd Rangers joke text back and forth. He's listed as a 'Partick' fan and don't mention what school he went to. He's been consistently poor in our games. How he gets to ref our games is a joke.

Anyways, I thought St Johnstone were poor for the first 60 mins and the game changed when Millers link up play and coming deep and creating space in behind disappeared from our game. Waggy upfront with Miller in a number 10 and McKay free role for Hamilton game for me. Again when we get McKay interested we look a completely different team. I thought we were finally going to go on and put 4/5 past a team for a change but the last half hour we lacked the spark of the first 60. Hopefully the late winner gives us a confidence boost and add that to a new manager coming in, hopefully we can get a bit of stability and momentum heading into the last part of the season