Rangers v St Johnstone - match preview

Thought we played well and showed great spirit to come back and win with ten men, a spirit that has been sadly missing for a long long time.

I do need to see the sending off again but from my seat in the enclosure i thought Kiernan swept the lads feet away from the back rather than a lung and was deserving of nothing more than a yellow.

Also like to see the penalty denial as it looked a cert also.

Thought we played well and showed great spirit to come back and win with ten men, a spirit that has been sadly missing for a long long time.

I do need to see the sending off again but from my seat in the enclosure i thought Kiernan swept the lads feet away from the back rather than a lung and was deserving of nothing more than a yellow.

I'm being really lazy and not read the rest of the thread but your post sums up my thoughts entirely. Looked a very harsh red. I sit in the Govan Rear so like you I was a bit away. Guys roundabout me didn't even think it was a foul!

Kiernan clearly went in with legs straight, into the Saints players heels - definitely NOT the worst tackle you'll ever see, and not one that could be classed as "dangerous" to the saints player, but I think clear red...it was needless.

Can be seen here at the 1:10 mark

Edited by Darthter

I thought Clancy was poor and inconsistent but for Kiernan to go through the back of a SJ player is taking stupidity to a new level. As soon as he made the move towards the ball, you just knew that it was going to result in a red card. To be fair, I have seen worse tackles being made against our players with at best a yellow being awarded, but if Kiernan is not bright enough to have already worked out that Rangers are judged by different standards, then I am afraid, he never will.

On the night, I was pleased to see Holt and McKay return to form. McKay poses a greater threat to any team when he is located more centrally, as he can become isolated when left out on the left wing. No surprise that he scored from a central position. Hyndman was excellent and has probably been our best player, since arriving at the club. I was also pleased to see Halliday put in that quality ball for Hill to header on to Hyndman for the winner. He has been awful this season, so hoping that this gives him a bit of a confidence boost. Although Miller was really quiet last night, he does bring leadership to the team and it was noticeable when he was replaced. I have tried to defend Garner and still think he may be a decent player playing in a different system, but he is not a natural goalscorer (and that's being kind!)

I'm being really lazy and not read the rest of the thread but your post sums up my thoughts entirely. Looked a very harsh red. I sit in the Govan Rear so like you I was a bit away. Guys roundabout me didn't even think it was a foul!

Looking at the highlights, 'very harsh' is too strong. He might have got away with a yellow but don't think he can complain too much, tbh. Mental tackle: why give the ref a decision to make all the way out by the touchline?

I thought Clancy was poor and inconsistent but for Kiernan to go through the back of a SJ player is taking stupidity to a new level. As soon as he made the move towards the ball, you just knew that it was going to result in a red card. To be fair, I have seen worse tackles being made against our players with at best a yellow being awarded, but if Kiernan is not bright enough to have already worked out that Rangers are judged by different standards, then I am afraid, he never will.

On the night, I was pleased to see Holt and McKay return to form. McKay poses a greater threat to any team when he is located more centrally, as he can become isolated when left out on the left wing. No surprise that he scored from a central position. Hyndman was excellent and has probably been our best player, since arriving at the club. I was also pleased to see Halliday put in that quality ball for Hill to header on to Hyndman for the winner. He has been awful this season, so hoping that this gives him a bit of a confidence boost. Although Miller was really quiet last night, he does bring leadership to the team and it was noticeable when he was replaced. I have tried to defend Garner and still think he may be a decent player playing in a different system, but he is not a natural goalscorer (and that's being kind!)

Totally agree re Kiernan. He made a rash challenge in an area of the pitch that wouldn't see them pose a threat to us. Poor decision making on his part. Looking at the replay he did take the boy down with studs up, before making contact with the ball. That's giving the ref a decision to make and if it's someone like Clancy, there's only one way that's going to go.

Also agree that McKay had a good game but I thought Holt was pretty poor. He lost the ball needlessly in midfield leading to their first (albeit it could have been snuffed out afterwards). Also didn't think he posed much threat in forward areas - generally opting for a side pass when a shot could've been had... However, a well deserved win and hopefully one the players take confidence from!

PS. GIRFUY to the fans who left after St Johnstone's second goal (no one on here I'm sure :D )

As much as I think a yellow would have been a fair decision, I was less annoyed by Clancy giving the red than i was with Kiernan for being so stupid and reckless. For me this was the final straw - I would be happy if he never played again for us. We can't afford to be carrying someone like that.

Kiernan clearly went in with legs straight, into the Saints players heels - definitely NOT the worst tackle you'll ever see, and not one that could be classed as "dangerous" to the saints player, but I think clear red...it was needless.

Can be seen here at the 1:10 mark

Harsh red. Why am I not surprised that yet another Rangers stonewall penalty was not included in the highlights?