Turning shame into success: Rangers v Celtic

its not a shoestring

the wage bill this year was 10M p.a.

that is more then enough to finish second

the problem for me is, there is no one on the Board qualified to oversee the manager to say "no you're not signing a guy in his 30's in semi retirement and pay them 10K a week"

Senderos joke signing

Barton joke signing

Hill 38

Kranjkar 30 odd and retired

Rossiter

crooks

windass all 3 injured

Garner 1.5 million wasted on this guy alone

The problem now of course is have the board made yet another blunder in appointing this latest manager?

The evidence is yes, they should have gotten the Director of Football in first

Think how bad last summer's window might have been without best in the business McParland. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

its not a shoestring

the wage bill this year was 10M p.a.

that is more then enough to finish second

the problem for me is, there is no one on the Board qualified to oversee the manager to say "no you're not signing a guy in his 30's in semi retirement and pay them 10K a week"

Senderos joke signing

Barton joke signing

Hill 38

Kranjkar 30 odd and retired

Rossiter

crooks

windass all 3 injured

Garner 1.5 million wasted on this guy alone

The problem now of course is have the board made yet another blunder in appointing this latest manager?

The evidence is yes, they should have gotten the Director of Football in first

I agree wholeheartedly with your last 2 lines. The Manager appointment seems an almighty gamble for a Club on a tight budget.

Think how bad last summer's window might have been without best in the business McParland. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

that business was okayed by the Board

who gave the OK?

who scouted and appointed Pedro?

where is the accountability?

where is the DOfF?

make no mistake, this Board have made an absolute mess of the football side of things and are under intense pressure now

Of course, as I said back then, it is all well and nice to have opinions about certain players and whom we would get, there is the small matter that we were a promoted team in a league far away from the richer and more profitable (from a player's perspective) leagues in Europe.

Sometimes reading the above gives you the idea that we were fishing alone in an open market filled with talent only waiting to sign for us, and we plucked the duds out of that. To turn that argument on its head.

Much like the situation we have now, back then we had next to no budget compared to others* trawling the markets we were able to access. And if the targetted players did not come, what you witnessed was the bizarre attacks on our manager and Board at the time, as if they alone are responsible for a player's decision to sign up.

I saw Rossiter playing last summer in the u20 Euros/WC/whatever it was and he looked the part. Who could have forseen that injury would strike him down? Same with Kranjcar, who got his injury when just getting back to his best. Who could have forseen that? Barton probably used the same words spoken and heard in the stands yesterday after the first game at the Scumhut ... and certain people didn't like that. Who could have forseen this when he signed? (Well, obviously, some chaps will swing the hindsight-club and cry: told you so! Aye right!)

Make no mistake, many of us thought at the time that we have some decent enough people able to challenge for trophies, if not the title. Many even agreed the we haven't had the money to do more. Now, many players could not get back to the standard of last season, e.g. Tav, McKay, and Waghorn. Likewise the manager apparently couldn't adjust his team according to the demands. That happens all over the world, over here in Germany Bayer Leverkusen, who have been chasing CL glory last season linger just above the relegation zone this time around. While you do understand the sentiment that we should not come third behind ABERDEEN (shock horror!!!), that mindset is clearly blocking out certain aspects of the reality that we are facing. And that budget club also only does its service for so long. If you have 5 or 6 players of "that budget" out injured and people off form, results won't go as the "budget" would predict. The Yahoos, in contrast, have a budget three times more than ours, a squad of 25odd players of virtually the same quality and next to no injuries all season. And Aberdeen? Well, they are having a fine season by their standards, even though they - much more like us - fell way short of challenging the Yahoos. Mainly because of having nowhere near the quality of players that the Yahoos have assembled. Yet, they are better than us. Now, let me again draw a comparison to Germany, where promoted team RB Leipzig (despite being sponsored by Red Bull) have a much inferior budget than the usual suspects Dortmund, Leverkusen, and probably Schalke too. But a decent squad (which cost far less than those of the aforementioned) and decent coach. Somesuch won't guarantee you a decent season time and again, but it does on occasion. For us, the occasion for Aberdeen comes at a very inopportune moment, but it sure hasn't been unheard of before.

It is purest conjecture of what will happen in the summer or next season. We all are long enough about to know that and hence it would be great to use our brains again and not lament about something that could or might happen in 6, 12 or 24 months time. Football never works like that.

*Only a few hundreds clubs all over Europe ...

I largely agree with your sentiments, especially the highlighted section and your main point that our expectations may have been too high, when we examined the quality in our squad or the lack of it. However, there have been those who argued that we are the second best team in Scotland, and it is clear that that is not the case and even it is the case, we are second best by the length of the Govan Road.

I believe, based on his after match press conference, that PC got the tactics right last week but the players did not apply those tactics or perhaps did not understand or were not capable of putting those tactics into practice.

Yesterday, I believe he got it wrong. We should have had a four or five man midfield from the start, because that is where Celtic take control of the game and even if our players are not as good as theirs, effort and numbers might have kept them at bay. However, there is not much you can do when players make basic errors such as giving away a penalty when the opponent is running away from goal, losing control of the ball in midfield, not marking jumpers at free kicks etc. Except get better players.

The manager is the manager and that isn't going to change unless he walks away; and then what. Those who advocate replacing him, should think about the cost and who they would have next to manage the same players into the EL Qualifiers.

It's blatantly obvious that the team needs a clear out and major investment; but as I said last night the only significant player who is out of contract (apart from the loanees) is Hill and it's arguable that he should be kept. If Toral bottled it then, much as I liked him playing deep, he has to go. I have liked Hyndman but he has been out of his depth in the two old firm games and failed to make an impact. We don't know if their Clubs would want them to stay. We need players who can make some kind of impact at the top of the SPFL and in the EL. I hope PC has some such targets in mind. I'd be shocked if he didn't. But equally, I know such players cost money in fees (even signing on and agent's fees) and wages. If the current board don't have the money or are not willing to invest the money to support the manager with these kind of players then they need to find investors who are willing and able to put in the necessary funds.

The reported £3million and the proceeds of selling Mackay, just won't cut it. Otherwise, we had better be ready for another 5 years of the same as we got yesterday. It's clear from the thousands who left when the third goal went in after 66 minutes and the thousands more who left when the fourth went in, that there are many for whom the prospect is not acceptable.

On a sidenote, someone on FF said that he was told the budget will be 5m plus McKay (et al) ... and we'll probably get 500k for Gilmour in the next few days. We shall see.
posted on here a while back that it's £5m plus any income from sales. That has been the plan for a while

Think Gilmour is £100k upfront then add ons though tbh

On a sidenote, someone on FF said that he was told the budget will be 5m plus McKay (et al) ... and we'll probably get 500k for Gilmour in the next few days. We shall see.

I'd take what is posted over there with a pinch of salt. They're as bad as Ill Phil when it comes to folk in the know handing out inside information. The internet is full of Rangers experts who couldn't tell you what city we play football in.

Due to ongoing and threatened court cases, litigation and whatever else, stand on me buddy - nobody, and that includes the Rangers board, knows what the budget or even what the board will consist of when we reach the close season.

File under nonsense.

I'd take what is posted over there with a pinch of salt. They're as bad as Ill Phil when it comes to folk in the know handing out inside information. The internet is full of Rangers experts who couldn't tell you what city we play football in.

Due to ongoing and threatened court cases, litigation and whatever else, stand on me buddy - nobody, and that includes the Rangers board, knows what the budget or even what the board will consist of when we reach the close season.

File under nonsense.

really?

is this just an inclination or something more?

File under nonsense.

Well, I've been on the various incarnations of FF throughout the years, from it earliest years. Thus, rest assured I wouldn't post it on here if I had doubts over the poster. As for the rest, do keep the forum rules in mind.