Turning shame into success: Rangers v Celtic

I feel like I've walked into the twilight zone tonight. I can honestly say I've tried to read between the lines regarding what BH and others are saying about investment rumours but I can't work it out. All I can tell is that we have people who have lost the plot when talking about MA. We were almost dead and buried as a club. We have a future now (as far as I can see) and unfortunately that future has some tough years ahead as we try to rebuild.

We've had a tough season because for one reason or another our recruitment last summer was poorly managed. Because of this we've had to rely on a championship team to get us to the top of the premier league. We all hoped that we'd be closer to Celtic but we didn't really expect to do well against them did we? The games on Sunday and today showed that we have a big job ahead but are things so bad that we're talking about dancing with the devil again? My club is too precious to risk placing it in the hands of anyone other than supporters.

Am I missing something here because I just don't get it. We were aiming for second place this season. We didn't achieve that and it's really disappointing. The board were put in a terrible position after the antics of MW and co, and put PC in charge. He can't work miracles overnight, especially with these players so he needs time. And if anyone thinks we are spending 20m on players in the summer, you're clearly smoking something because that's not going to happen. Furthermore, there's no one that will 'invest' that type of money because there's no return on it.

For us to return to the top without jeopardising the financial future of the club, it will take a long time. If you're not prepared for that then you're in for years of disappointment. I'm gutted that this has happened to our club and wish it was different, but it's not. We are where we are and need to get through it. I'm hoping we can have some successes along the way, but I'm also expecting some further setbacks as we had this week.

In the meantime, can we please not lose all sense of perspective and reality. It's tough enough as it is without my support network on here losing its mind.

The day is still young, but that for me is already the post of the day. Unless someone produces something even more sensible.

So let me get this right.

If MA came in tomorrow and bought out DK for the £3/4million or whatever he's invested in shares and offered to pump £20/30 million into the Club, you wouldn't take it?

I wouldn't. I can't believe it is even being asked. I've had a helluva hard day as I watched it with one of them. But reading this might actually be my lowest point in a day full of them.

Edited by SteveC

Gaffer , the board put themselves In this place by thinking they could underfund last year and get MW to work miracles , this might not go down well , especially after today but you can't make silk purses out of sows ears , they were told last year the budget wasn't enough , never mind what was said publicaly , they are running the club on a shoestring , just watch nest seasons targets .....

What people are failing to remember is we spent the last 4 years in lower leagues and only got back up this season. Why is 9IAR or Advocaat level expected right now??? Its going to take 2 years to stabilize yet we have done far better than Celtic did in the 90s.

I do have an issue with mindset and performance yerterday - thats no acceptable. Our team in Div 3 wouldnt have played like that and yet Pedro carrys the can for the mindset. Im not sure what he is trying to tell the players. Im skeptical of him. We are all good at FIFA on the playstation but on the pitch is where it counts.

Lets write this season off Bears....Europa is the key and onto next year.

I was never in the anyone but Murray camp, far from it, and well you know it.

Pray tell where did I say you did?

Most folk are bored with your innuendo and have woken up to the fact that King +T3B ain't getting the job done; but you keep banging away with all that sarcasm which adds zero to the debate.

What innuendo?

How about you give us your solution?

First part would be to keep those who raped us and continue to do so as far away from our Club as possible obviously not a view you share.Then accept the reality that the only investors who will invest are the current HNWI's who already have and those of a similar ilk, people the calibre of the like of John Bennett, written any missives lately to put pressure on him to prevent him investing in Rangers or is his investment acceptable when you personally express a desire to pocket some of it? There will be investment forthcoming there will be an increase in turnover, will it be enough? Of course not but it never ever will be, it is what it is.

Unless you're happy with the status quo that is?

Why would I be?

I have just read about murray's lawyer and the note regarding whyte obtaining a possible facility from octopus,murray claims to have no knowledge or have seen the lawyers note. I am with Findlay on this one,I do not believe a word of what murray says.

Gaffer , the board put themselves In this place by thinking they could underfund last year and get MW to work miracles , this might not go down well , especially after today but you can't make silk purses out of sows ears , they were told last year the budget wasn't enough , never mind what was said publicaly , they are running the club on a shoestring , just watch nest seasons targets .....

its not a shoestring

the wage bill this year was 10M p.a.

that is more then enough to finish second

the problem for me is, there is no one on the Board qualified to oversee the manager to say "no you're not signing a guy in his 30's in semi retirement and pay them 10K a week"

Senderos joke signing

Barton joke signing

Hill 38

Kranjkar 30 odd and retired

Rossiter

crooks

windass all 3 injured

Garner 1.5 million wasted on this guy alone

The problem now of course is have the board made yet another blunder in appointing this latest manager?

The evidence is yes, they should have gotten the Director of Football in first

What people are failing to remember is we spent the last 4 years in lower leagues and only got back up this season. Why is 9IAR or Advocaat level expected right now??? Its going to take 2 years to stabilize yet we have done far better than Celtic did in the 90s.

I do have an issue with mindset and performance yerterday - thats no acceptable. Our team in Div 3 wouldnt have played like that and yet Pedro carrys the can for the mindset. Im not sure what he is trying to tell the players. Im skeptical of him. We are all good at FIFA on the playstation but on the pitch is where it counts.

Lets write this season off Bears....Europa is the key and onto next year.

And we were down the leagues because we were stitched up, we had been taken out of the war so our main enemy would prosper, that's what we're up against, like Pearl Harbor only unlike USA we haven't become strong again yet, but we will.

its not a shoestring

the wage bill this year was 10M p.a.

that is more then enough to finish second

the problem for me is, there is no one on the Board qualified to oversee the manager to say "no you're not signing a guy in his 30's in semi retirement and pay them 10K a week"

Senderos joke signing

Barton joke signing

Hill 38

Kranjkar 30 odd and retired

Rossiter

crooks

windass all 3 injured

Garner 1.5 million wasted on this guy alone

The problem now of course is have the board made yet another blunder in appointing this latest manager?

The evidence is yes, they should have gotten the Director of Football in first

Of course, as I said back then, it is all well and nice to have opinions about certain players and whom we would get, there is the small matter that we were a promoted team in a league far away from the richer and more profitable (from a player's perspective) leagues in Europe.

Sometimes reading the above gives you the idea that we were fishing alone in an open market filled with talent only waiting to sign for us, and we plucked the duds out of that. To turn that argument on its head.

Much like the situation we have now, back then we had next to no budget compared to others* trawling the markets we were able to access. And if the targetted players did not come, what you witnessed was the bizarre attacks on our manager and Board at the time, as if they alone are responsible for a player's decision to sign up.

I saw Rossiter playing last summer in the u20 Euros/WC/whatever it was and he looked the part. Who could have forseen that injury would strike him down? Same with Kranjcar, who got his injury when just getting back to his best. Who could have forseen that? Barton probably used the same words spoken and heard in the stands yesterday after the first game at the Scumhut ... and certain people didn't like that. Who could have forseen this when he signed? (Well, obviously, some chaps will swing the hindsight-club and cry: told you so! Aye right!)

Make no mistake, many of us thought at the time that we have some decent enough people able to challenge for trophies, if not the title. Many even agreed the we haven't had the money to do more. Now, many players could not get back to the standard of last season, e.g. Tav, McKay, and Waghorn. Likewise the manager apparently couldn't adjust his team according to the demands. That happens all over the world, over here in Germany Bayer Leverkusen, who have been chasing CL glory last season linger just above the relegation zone this time around. While you do understand the sentiment that we should not come third behind ABERDEEN (shock horror!!!), that mindset is clearly blocking out certain aspects of the reality that we are facing. And that budget club also only does its service for so long. If you have 5 or 6 players of "that budget" out injured and people off form, results won't go as the "budget" would predict. The Yahoos, in contrast, have a budget three times more than ours, a squad of 25odd players of virtually the same quality and next to no injuries all season. And Aberdeen? Well, they are having a fine season by their standards, even though they - much more like us - fell way short of challenging the Yahoos. Mainly because of having nowhere near the quality of players that the Yahoos have assembled. Yet, they are better than us. Now, let me again draw a comparison to Germany, where promoted team RB Leipzig (despite being sponsored by Red Bull) have a much inferior budget than the usual suspects Dortmund, Leverkusen, and probably Schalke too. But a decent squad (which cost far less than those of the aforementioned) and decent coach. Somesuch won't guarantee you a decent season time and again, but it does on occasion. For us, the occasion for Aberdeen comes at a very inopportune moment, but it sure hasn't been unheard of before.

It is purest conjecture of what will happen in the summer or next season. We all are long enough about to know that and hence it would be great to use our brains again and not lament about something that could or might happen in 6, 12 or 24 months time. Football never works like that.

*Only a few hundreds clubs all over Europe ...

Edited by der Berliner