[FT] Motherwell 1 - 2 Rangers (Dorrans 4, 59pen)

Good result but that was most unconvincing near the end. No idea why we surrendered so much possession and territory to Motherwell just for the odd counter attack.

However, it's a fine win against a team that worked hard, were physical and played direct. I'll take that every day of the week.

Foderingham poor a crosses for me. Makes good saves but all round game not a the highest.

I agree with that without having seen any of the game. I just got home at about 87 minutes and followed text..........I'm a nervous wreck after 5 minutes of that!

It's a lot better than the opening day last season when not only didn't we get the 3 points we didn't even look good. Today we have the 3 points at an away venue where they were kicking lumps out of us and looked extremely impressive for periods. It's an acceptable start to the campaign and the chances are we will still strengthen even further.

I did say I'd take an ugly win, and that was certainly that. The switch to 3 at the back worked, but it conceded far too much territory to 'Well; I can't see us withstanding that kind of pressure week in week out - not sure my ticker can take it either! A win's a win.

Jeez good 3 points but no nails left. We need to up our performances from that. It was like Jeckyll and Hyde at times. Sometimes great pressing, other times looking scared of the ball. Need to get a Miller replacement.

The way Motherwell played today I thought like the pre-match write up that we were back in 78'. Long ball, throwing crosses in from deep there was virtually no football about them at all. mind you, they'll probably do well enough in the SPFL this year with that but it was garbage to watch. We were a much better team than the score line suggests. Cardoso and Alves had this game under control Hodson wasn't up to par and so they piled up on his area of the pitch with 3-4 at times. Wallace/Windass either of them should have closed down the cross for their goal much quicker and Fod could have cleared out everything coming for it but he's still seems a little apprehensive at the moment probably a hangover from what he's been playing with the last couple of seasons.

A good result from us and I think we'll get a lot better.

Edited by Big Jaws

It was a win that could have been a defeat, a loss against a side that was merely physical and well organised.

PC needs to get the team to keep possession. Decision making when with the ball should have been better.

Ceding territory, and possession, to the opposition is not the way forward.

Full time.

Well done Rangers and Graham Dorrans.

Motherwell played with lots of enthusiasm, pressed us all over the pitch. They were direct and won most of both first and second balls. Uncontested crosses kept flying across our box in the second half, better teams, better players will punish us. Holding on to possession appears an issue, winning free kicks, throw-ins, and corners to keep the team up the pitch is also a problem. Last week against Wednesday(it was a friendly), we played neat triangles and quickly released balls forward down the channels and switching by playing the diagonals. We couldn't do that today because of Well's pressing, some one must come short and the ball must stick or draw the free kick. I agree with the concensus, we played our get of jail card today.

We won, three points, but we need to improve.