Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

While we wouldn't hand him vast sums of money, we do have to take into consideration that during our absence, Aberdeen was the only club (bar the Yahoos) that actually spent a transfer fee on someone. Out of ALL SPL / Premiership teams. 300k on McLean. From freebies and loanees McInnes build team that was high up the table, and the Yahoos weren't always as far on the horizon as last season. For various reasons and not just McInnes' abilities.

It will be a big call from the Board and I still wonder whether McInnes should be the man in the middle right now.

What is "outstanding" about Lennon other than his bigotry and crassness? And why would Rangers even think about a manager who is clearly a Rangers hater and the Rangers fans hate him? Even if he was the best manager in the world and he was willing to come for buttons, there would still be no chance.

But yes, anything that failed blogger writes about Rangers is sneering at an outstanding level.

I think some of the media forget that Rangers actually have some moral standards when selecting managers. Lennon doesn't even come close to those standards

To bring it back to the OP, that British element will have it's benefits, but I'm unconvinced it will take us to the next level.

I like you watch a fair bit of European football and its miles better than even the EPL (outwith the top 6 or so teams).

Mcinnes takes us forward. But he doesn't take us to the level we need to be at to even think about stopping 10 in a row. He hasn't had a budget though at Aberdeen and perhaps with Mark Allen making the transfers it could work. For me I'd like Michel Preud'Homme interviewed and see what he says. I don't think for a minute he'd be another Pedro or PLG, some are even touting him for the Holland Job

For me I'd like Michel Preud'Homme interviewed and see what he says. I don't think for a minute he'd be another Pedro or PLG, some are even touting him for the Holland Job

For me, he would be more interesting than most, and I'd be much more looking forward to watching the team play than under McInnes.

But maybe I'm going down the foreign is more exotically exiting than mundane old home-grown. But the trouble is, Scottish football is completely rotten these days.

I'm probably also put off by some of the stuff he's said about Rangers - foreigners don't tend to have a history in that regard.

The most exciting name that I have heard until now was Chris Coleman. Unfortunately it was just a wish post.

My mate an FC Twenthe supporter and ST holder said MPH was great for Twenthe but is a wild man during the games.

I will be surprised if it is not McInnes.

The most exciting name that I have heard until now was Chris Coleman. Unfortunately it was just a wish post.

My mate an FC Twenthe supporter and ST holder said MPH was great for Twenthe but is a wild man during the games.

I will be surprised if it is not McInnes.

I’ll also be surprised if it’s not McInnes though that would scupper my £20 on MPH at 25’s haha. If it is McInnes let’s get him in sharpish and get him up to speed. Should make for an interesting double header at the end of Nov

For me, he would be more interesting than most, and I'd be much more looking forward to watching the team play than under McInnes.

But maybe I'm going down the foreign is more exotically exiting than mundane old home-grown. But the trouble is, Scottish football is completely rotten these days.

I'm probably also put off by some of the stuff he's said about Rangers - foreigners don't tend to have a history in that regard.

Saying Scottish football is rubbish is certainly one way of putting it.....I was thinking more that Scottish football is unwilling to evolve.

Until clubs across the board acknowledge that the game must evolve more inline with the rest of Europe, I think we will struggle to do well with foreign managers. Brenda is doing well at the moment, but when up against Euro opposition, at times they look like neanderthals (granted some of the players are...). Too many teams focus more on the physical aspect rather than the technical, as a result we see players getting booted up & down the park for 90mins (unless yer one of Brenda's mob).

In that respect, the boar have a tough decision....do they stick with what they know works in Scotland, but not elsewhere, or do they keep trying to lead/influence that change. McInnes would most likely do well in the former, but I think our success outwith Scotland would be limited. People like Preud'Homme would offer the latter...but so did PC & PLG.....

Being honest I don't think we'll go for McInnes. He's signed a new contract and I can't see us wasting money of whatever amount to tie up a guy with no record of success.

King and Co are wise enough to use that cash to get somebody with proven ability. That contract would probably be heavily weighted towards large bonuses for trophies or euro runs.

Don't ask who that person would be as I don't have a clue. But one and a half million as reported in places for McInnes is money poured down the sink as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's just my own prejudice against British coaches. I watch a lot of European matches, and I'm constantly fascinated by what's on offer, tactically; Leipzig, Dortmund, Atalanta, Napoli, Lille (albeit poorly at the moment!), PSG, Celta Vigo etc., are all remarkable in there own way.

Even when you look at the English PL, you have Guardiola, who's different from Mourinho, who's different from Conte, who's different from Klopp, and so on. And, then I look at the British coaches, and they're basically, for me anyway, producing variations of the same tactic; it's dated, boring and will not achieve anything of note in European competition.

That British element has it's part to play in the British game, but it's not the whole story. Sir Alex had that British knack ingrained in his teams, but he also relied upon Portuguese and Dutch coaches to supplement what he had.

To bring it back to the OP, that British element will have it's benefits, but I'm unconvinced it will take us to the next level.

In terms of Kilmarnock since the turn of the century they've appointed Bobby Williamson, Jim Jeffries, Jimmy Calderwood as a temporary appointment, Mixu Paatelinen, who'd managed Hibs badly and Cowdenbeath prior, Kenny Sheils who was a Tranmere youth coach, Allan Johnson from QOTS, Gary Locke, Lee Clark and Lee McCulloch. I mean compared to that lot Steve Clarke's CV reads like Alex Ferguson.

I don't know who I want to manage Rangers. There's not an obvious person. I understand why McInnes name is mentioned a lot but I don't think his CV is much better than Tommy Wright's. In the end I want a pragmatist who can make a team greater than the sum of its parts. If we can do that we can challenge Celtic. They'll continue to have better individual players than us for a few more seasons, but they don't have to have a better team. I just don't know who that person is. I don't know enough about the Belgian people are speaking about. I do think a grasp of Scottish football, or at least British football and footballers is essential. This is where we play and these are the teams we play against, knowing how to beat them in the short term is what we need. Europe can take care of itself when that time comes again.