Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

I can’t believe King has come out and said he was disappointed in the pool of candidates for the job!

Could suggest he never wanted McInnes, but has since been convinced that nobody better is available. I have put a quid on various potential bosses at over 20/1 though, based on the thinking that who would have actually sent in their CV to us. Aitor Karanka wasn’t one though..

When DK talked about "available candidates" he was referring to managers not currently in a job.

He said that when initially looking at such a list, it was only when Mark Allen had discounted so many names because of them not matching the current criteria required that he saw it to be a list that wasn't as strong as he had at first envisaged it would be.

ie. He wasn't referring to McInnes but somebody like McLeish can consider himself not to meet 'the criteria'.

----------------------------

Listen carefully to the interview (relevant section starts at 4 minutes 50 seconds)

https://rangers.co.uk/news/rangers-tv/video-chairman-interview-4/

Edited by buster.

I can’t believe King has come out and said he was disappointed in the pool of candidates for the job!

Could suggest he never wanted McInnes, but has since been convinced that nobody better is available. I have put a quid on various potential bosses at over 20/1 though, based on the thinking that who would have actually sent in their CV to us. Aitor Karanka wasn’t one though..

What DK ACTUALLY said was that there was not an obvious, outstanding candidate from the "readily available" managers ie. none of the out of work managers were suitable. Therefore they then had to look more at managers who are currently under contract, which is more complicated & takes longer.

He talks about it : 4:50 in this video:

I think for Rogers, you can point out his relative budget, help from referees etc as much as you like, but there is no doubt, he is doing a very competent domestic job with the tools he has. That may seem easy but we had the biggest budget in the second tier and by far the second biggest budget in the Premiership and yet with three managers and three interim managers, none of them have taken the team to what would be its natural position with respect to funding (and that includes Warburton in the Championship and losing the cup final).

We've had relatively more resources than Celtic in the past with a much higher standard of player in world terms, and yet still lost games or been run close by teams with a tiny fraction of the resources - and that's with managers such as Souness, Smith and Advocaat (as well as PLG and McLeish).

Rogers has done exceptionally well at Celtic and if nothing else is a manager who knows how to maximise an old firm team domestically. Somehow he's worked out how to do it.

I'm not doing this as praising the enemy, it's about not allowing disdain for them to lead to underestimating them. Know your enemy.

To beat them on a lesser budget, the problem is that we don't just need a slightly better manager than them that we'd need with the same budget, we need a much better manager.

That's where the likes of McInness looks to be safe only in delivering a distant second. I can't see how we can go safe as we need to punch above our weight which takes a gamble to have any chance.

So to me the gamble only needs to be someone whom we can be confident in to edge out Aberdeen etc for second place in a worse case scenario, but might, if we're lucky, have some chops to outwit Rogers.

Until we're on a financial level footing, I think our best chance is if a Premiership or other big league side comes in for Rogers - but even they might realise he's found his perfect niche where his skills don't look transferible elsewhere.

I think if we appoint McInnes, the biggest question will be, why did it take so long? It will be so disappointing now, whereas an immediate appointment would have just been seen as an inevitable, quick decision, and been accepted.

so if only we could get a manager of his calibre.......but we can't.......so let's go for what we can get

If only we have a squad full of players of their calibre ... as well as people applying enough pressure to give the refs a hard time ... and all that.

I'm not exactly discredit the job Rodgers has done over there, yet we should not overestimate his abilities either. What he did is sort them out mentally and brought everyone in line with their own standards. Once the confidence was there, that was enough to pulp the rest into submission. I reckon many a decent manager would have been able to do that.

Do we need an EPL-experienced coach then or would we be "lucky" to get one? The main problem here is that whatever experience the new manager has, he will enter a rather new environment with a squad already in place and demands high on him and that squad ... to click instantly. With not that much of a budget at hand. Essentially, it does not matter whether he has trained Stoke, Barca, Pumas, Valencia or Malmö before. He has to do it at Ibrox ... and hardly anyone can reasonably predict which of any of the candidates will do that.

BTW, the 3-year remark of King was fine, but we all know that if things don't click, it might be 6 months, if they do, it might be longer than Sir Walter's stay. Football and all that.

I see that Snr Aitor Karanka is now 3rd favourite, behind McInnes, back at odds on (really!) and McLeish.

Frankly, I don't know what to make of that. His spell in charge of M'Boro' seemed to be a little fraught. He walked out, i I r c, only to return, and left them after a poor run of form.

He did get them promoted to the EP, and had a decent foray in the FA Cup.