Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

Looks like clear evidence he can't lift his team for big games. Problem is every game at Rangers is like that.

Who won at Ibrox with the Sheep for the first time in decades? Point here is, the Big Games were against teams who did not cost 300k over 4 years to assemble. The Yahoos' current squad was bought together for 30m, our's by now cost roughly 10m.

No-one on here deemed any Aberdeen player better than what we have, bar McLean last season perhaps. So we all rated them as inferior to us, not to mention the Yahoos. And now you and others come around and tell us that he - the manager - hasn't got the quality to motivate his sub-Rangers-standard-players to play at 200% of their own level to beat us or them? How much sense does that make?

I don't think there is much doubt that DM should be able to stabilise the team, and should guarantee 2nd place....but my concern has always been, does he have the ability to take the team forward??? Will he be able to improve the team to a point where they can win the league or do well in Europe??? I don't think he can, and as such would be a very short term appointment.

Folk have mentioned that he has build a fairly good Don's team on a VERY limited budget....what happens when he DOES gets a decent budget though & is dealing with bigger egos in the dressing room. He's gonna be dealing with (at the moment) several International fringe players, who are pushing for World cup spots, and therefore want games to show Int. bosses their skills etc. Basically, he's gonna be working on a completely different level to what he's experienced so far - will he still be able to manage that???

We must aim higher if we want to improve. They should be looking to bring in the BEST manager possible (that's willing to come to Scotland). Get the best in, and sort the money side later.

If it is McInnis, then why has it taken 5 weeks to appoint him?

140 odd apps to sift through and their conclusion was to go for the fella (who I assume didn’t apply as his chairman keeps going on about how committed to the club he is) is the ex player up the road who finished 2nd (not having a go at that btw).

It just sounds a complete shambles.

I share the concerns about McInnes in terms of his default approach which is pretty physical, direct and set piece focused. Will that be enough to challenge THEM, or in Europe? I have concerns. Also his record in big games isn't great.

That said, I think he's shown enough as a manager that hes mostly learned and improved over time. He's also turned around his squad over the summer and managed to mostly maintain their position, last couple of results aside :)

So whilst not being overly excited at the prospect, I think he will help us solidify second. The key tests will come after that. But where we've been via Warburton and Caixinha, I'm happy with a more incremental approach

Edited by stewarty

I don't think there is much doubt that DM should be able to stabilise the team, and should guarantee 2nd place....but my concern has always been, does he have the ability to take the team forward??? Will he be able to improve the team to a point where they can win the league or do well in Europe??? I don't think he can, and as such would be a very short term appointment.

Folk have mentioned that he has build a fairly good Don's team on a VERY limited budget....what happens when he DOES gets a decent budget though & is dealing with bigger egos in the dressing room. He's gonna be dealing with (at the moment) several International fringe players, who are pushing for World cup spots, and therefore want games to show Int. bosses their skills etc. Basically, he's gonna be working on a completely different level to what he's experienced so far - will he still be able to manage that???

We must aim higher if we want to improve. They should be looking to bring in the BEST manager possible (that's willing to come to Scotland). Get the best in, and sort the money side later.

There is an order of play and a realistic timescale to consider.

- DK has mentioned a 3 year contract

- You can't take the second step without before, taking the first.

- We don't have the money to, or in our current state, are able to attract a manager with mythical powers.

-----------------

This isn't time for gambling and I think it understandable if the board were to go with the safest option for the current (realistic) remit.

Edited by buster.

If it is McInnis, then why has it taken 5 weeks to appoint him?

140 odd apps to sift through and their conclusion was to go for the fella (who I assume didn’t apply as his chairman keeps going on about how committed to the club he is) is the ex player up the road who finished 2nd (not having a go at that btw).

It just sounds a complete shambles.

It takes two sides to make a deal and it's possible Aberdeen said they would clear the way for Rangers to talk to McInnes ... but only after the double header between the clubs, hoping to consolidate second place before he left. Clearly, if that was their thinking, it backfired spectacularly. We'll know soon enough.

It takes two sides to make a deal and it's possible Aberdeen said they would clear the way for Rangers to talk to McInnes ... but only after the double header between the clubs, hoping to consolidate second place before he left. Clearly, if that was their thinking, it backfired spectacularly. We'll know soon enough.

yeah but 5 weeks?

5 weeks of speculation that affects our players and their players.

in that 5 weeks we could of had both managers settled (and for us maybeless dropped points)

yeah but 5 weeks?

5 weeks of speculation that affects our players and their players.

in that 5 weeks we could of had both managers settled (and for us maybeless dropped points)

I haven't checked but I think they have dropped more points than us during those 5 weeks.

There is an order of play and a realistic timescale to consider.

- DK has mentioned a 3 year contract

- You can't take the second step without before, taking the first.

- We don't have the money to, or in our current state, are able to attract a manager with mythical powers.

-----------------

This isn't time for gambling and I think it understandable if the board were to go with the safest option for the current (realistic) remit.

We all know that a 3yr contract means absolutely nothing - I would put money on PC & MW both being on 3yr contracts....if ANY manager isn't achieving the desired results, then they will be canned.

The 1st step should be finding the best possible replacement.....the 2nd step is finding out if he'll come to RFC....the final step is whether we can meet their personal & contractual demands/requirements.

DK stated that funds would be available to the new manager....they need to ask themselves if it is worthwhile using some of those funds in order to get the best person - I don't think it should be negotiable. The Board have to pull out ALL the stops in order to get the best possible candidate in place. DK has also stated that they weren't overly impressed by any of the freely available managers that applied. That would infer that compensation will be required to lure someone away from a current position & that they are MAKING funds available to do this. The Board should also be stipulating that they expect the new boss to work with what he has, given the level of investment/spending. Depending on those results, further funds can be released.

Any new appointment is a gamble, but given the Boards time scale, they have sought to reduce the odds. DM is somewhat of a known entity, and I'm sure he will cement us into a firm 2n place - how many fans would be happy with that?? I don't believe his ability to solidify 2nd place is the issue in question - most fans would agree that that should be easily achievable - but the ability to actually progress the team into a much more dominant force, is of a much greater concern - far too many believe that DM doesn't have the skill set to do that.