Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

Win every game or win every trophy?

Dont actually think Rangers fans expect to win EVERY time, I think we are level headed and want the 1990s type return.

The quote was win all the time. I reckon we'd fall into that category but things change and it may not be so relevant to him a few years down the line.

Gary Monk, why? He's never done anything to suggest he's a decent manager. Middlesborough were doing okay, but they've a big budget and should have been doing better than they were. Added to that most 'boro fans weren't happy with how the side was playing. Lastly their chairman and owner usually backs his managers.

His time at Leeds was a failure, again with a big budget, and he only got the Swansea job because they needed a caretaker.

Gary Monk, why? He's never done anything to suggest he's a decent manager. Middlesborough were doing okay, but they've a big budget and should have been doing better than they were. Added to that most 'boro fans weren't happy with how the side was playing. Lastly their chairman and owner usually backs his managers.

His time at Leeds was a failure, again with a big budget, and he only got the Swansea job because they needed a caretaker.

I'll be honest and say, for me, it's a gut reaction; which in part comes from reading about his tactical approaches.

His record is not great, overall. However, he quit at Leeds after doing a decent job, because of the new Italian ownership. He was under-performing at 'boro, but it did come as a bit of a surprise; he needed more time. I don't understand how the Chairman can moan about style under Monk, then opt to appoint Pulis!? That boggles my mind. The latter two jobs had extenuating circumstances, for me. His Swansea time was good, but petered out.

I think he's well-steeped in a modern style, learning from Martinez, Laudrup (and Rodgers... :ninja:) etc. with his own defensive rigidity; he's developed the academic side of his knowledge after a bad early injury curtailed his career. He achieved a double over both Man Utd and Arsenal; and had Swansea doing well in Europe. I think he deserves a good job; a chance to develop a side. I'm not sure he'd get that time at Rangers, but I'm intrigued at the possibility of us going for someone like Monk.

Is it likely? Not really. Out of the names being bandies about, he's one of the few that I like the sound of.

I know I get pelters for this in some quarters but I would still got for Billy Davies and Alex Rae as no2. Davies managerial record is good (although I admit I have reservations over his temperament) and along with Rae they present a viable option imo.

I'd rather we gave the job to a cat than Billy Davies.

I'll be honest and say, for me, it's a gut reaction; which in part comes from reading about his tactical approaches.

His record is not great, overall. However, he quit at Leeds after doing a decent job, because of the new Italian ownership. He was under-performing at 'boro, but it did come as a bit of a surprise; he needed more time. I don't understand how the Chairman can moan about style under Monk, then opt to appoint Pulis!? That boggles my mind. The latter two jobs had extenuating circumstances, for me. His Swansea time was good, but petered out.

I think he's well-steeped in a modern style, learning from Martinez, Laudrup (and Rodgers... :ninja:) etc. with his own defensive rigidity; he's developed the academic side of his knowledge after a bad early injury curtailed his career. He achieved a double over both Man Utd and Arsenal; and had Swansea doing well in Europe. I think he deserves a good job; a chance to develop a side. I'm not sure he'd get that time at Rangers, but I'm intrigued at the possibility of us going for someone like Monk.

Is it likely? Not really. Out of the names being bandies about, he's one of the few that I like the sound of.

Monk would be an interesting choice but I rather suspect he will be looking to manage another side in the championship.

A less mainstream candidate, with an eclectic background, though he is relatively inexperienced would be Nathan Jones of Luton.