Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

I get the impression that when Souness was young, without really being an avid fan, he had a soft spot or liking for Rangers, and went to a few games. After playing and managing us, I think that's influenced his memory, to remember it now as being a huge fan.

I'm sure he's got no chance but you'd think by now he'd have figured that out for himself.

The board would have to be certifiably collectively insane to consider Davies! He would be a very very bad choice. People were highlighting Pedros paranoia ffs. Billy Davies takes that to a whole new level!

It's an interesting point you make. Wilton was steeped in the club performing many roles before becoming Manager, Struth was Assistant Manager first as was Davie White, Walter Smith and Ally McCoist before taking the manager's chair. Scott Symon and John Grieg were both ex-players, as was Stuart McCall.

So in terms of managers who had no connection to the club before taking the job we had Caixinho obviously, plus Warburton, Advovaat and PLG but also Souness and Alex McLeish. Whilst the latter two were boyhood fans (was Souness? I'm never completely sure) they'd never played or coached with us before.

There are clearly advantages in knowing the club, how it operates and the expectations that go with that, but that in itself is no guarantee of success.

Oops I forgot Warburton in my original post but he did have Davie Weir as his assistant.

However my main point remains that Rangers do seem to be a club where the manager tends to need a Rangers background to be successful

Edited by RANGERRAB

regards the OP, if McInnes is our top target, would it really be a good idea to give Aberdeen millions in compensation to get him ?

A nice little transfer kitty for the next Aberdeen manager? Is that a good idea?

The fact is, if McInnes wants the Rangers job and he is our top target, then it will happen. There will be a negotiated settlement with Milne.

You get the feeling that McInnes is going to have to get it sooner or later, just so we don't end up saying 'wish we'd appointed McInnes' every time whoever we did appoint loses a game or two.

Personally, I think we could do worse. Can remember his St Johnstone team footballing us to bits a few years ago and he's made Aberdeen more than the sum of their parts which is what you want of a manager. I don't know if he has enough to overhaul Sporting Leprechaun, especially with the tranny shagger in charge, but you'd imagine he'd put some distance between us and the rest.

Most of the other names being bandied around are unrealistic, desperate or plain fucking stupid. I will confess to knowing nothing about Preud'homme, who FF has linked strongly. He was a quality keeper in his day but hadn't given him a second thought since the '86 world cup until seeing his name linked this week.

Yeh i remember that game and often quote it when McInnes is brought up, they played us off the park that day, we were lucky not to get skelped but i think we got the draw? I Knew one of their players that day and told him latter what i thought, he was full of praise for McInnes and his methods.He could do a job at Rangers, but would it be a good enough job to take us back to the top, my inner jury is out on that atm.

Yeh i remember that game and often quote it when McInnes is brought up, they played us off the park that day, we were lucky not to get skelped but i think we got the draw? I Knew one of their players that day and told him latter what i thought, he was full of praise for McInnes and his methods.He could do a job at Rangers, but would it be a good enough job to take us back to the top, my inner jury is out on that atm.

We lost in my memory but I drink too much so it's not what it was. I share your concerns but maybe there's no magic bulllet: DM solidifies things over a few years, then we move on again