Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

I think the next Rangers manager will undoubtedly have a Rangers background of some sort.

In our history we've only had three managers who had a non-Rangers background: Advocaat, PLG & Pedro. Of those only Advocaat was successful & that was mostly due to the money he got to spend on players.

I'd suggest McInnes would be the board's first choice but may be difficult to get because he signed a new contract with the sheep in the summer.

A wee point regarding Derek McInnes which may or may not mean anything. The source of this story I believe is "The Sun" The bookies have DM installed as a very hot fav...as short as 1/2. However 1 bookie stands out quoting a much more backable 4/5. Which bookie? None other than Sunbets. And yes "Sunbets" and "The Sun" are arms of the same body.

You get the feeling that McInnes is going to have to get it sooner or later, just so we don't end up saying 'wish we'd appointed McInnes' every time whoever we did appoint loses a game or two.

Personally, I think we could do worse. Can remember his St Johnstone team footballing us to bits a few years ago and he's made Aberdeen more than the sum of their parts which is what you want of a manager. I don't know if he has enough to overhaul Sporting Leprechaun, especially with the tranny shagger in charge, but you'd imagine he'd put some distance between us and the rest.

Most of the other names being bandied around are unrealistic, desperate or plain fucking stupid. I will confess to knowing nothing about Preud'homme, who FF has linked strongly. He was a quality keeper in his day but hadn't given him a second thought since the '86 world cup until seeing his name linked this week.

We are in some matches the problem is not in all. As for McInnes if he wasn't good enough when Warburton left what's changed?

It's a good question, although I can see the likes of King now saying, "Right, we tried it your way..." considering how he completely distanced himself from the appointment decision.

As others have mentioned the sheep are truly awful to watch and Rangers is a whole different ball game from sheep herding.

That bothers me too, although if it bridges the gap I'd take it. However, I don't think that basic style will bridge the gap, even if I suspect it would guarantee us a distant second place, well ahead of the rest.

He was beaten 3-0 by Mothwerwell in the league cup and by all accounts totally outplayed but there were no screams of anguish from any quarters. But when we lose to them in the cup while overall outplaying them as they kicked us off the park it's armageddon.

Managing Rangers is always different, but he should know that well after his playing days.

I think the next Rangers manager will undoubtedly have a Rangers background of some sort.

In our history we've only had three managers who had a non-Rangers background: Advocaat, PLG & Pedro. Of those only Advocaat was successful & that was mostly due to the money he got to spend on players.

I'd suggest McInnes would be the board's first choice but may be difficult to get because he signed a new contract with the sheep in the summer.

It's an interesting point you make. Wilton was steeped in the club performing many roles before becoming Manager, Struth was Assistant Manager first as was Davie White, Walter Smith and Ally McCoist before taking the manager's chair. Scott Symon and John Grieg were both ex-players, as was Stuart McCall.

So in terms of managers who had no connection to the club before taking the job we had Caixinho obviously, plus Warburton, Advovaat and PLG but also Souness and Alex McLeish. Whilst the latter two were boyhood fans (was Souness? I'm never completely sure) they'd never played or coached with us before.

There are clearly advantages in knowing the club, how it operates and the expectations that go with that, but that in itself is no guarantee of success.