We Deserve Better - Rangers v Aberdeen

My main observation is that we weren't trying to put the ball through the parked bus this time. We will still struggle against the smaller teams if they park the bus. I just don't think we have the magic to open those defences up. Elton certainly won't have that space to maraud into against the likes of Killie.

I disagree, to a point. Aberdeen didn't defend badly last night, but when we attacked we did it at pace & in numbers. Tav & John were excellent down each flank, putting in a mixture of early or by-line crosses. The biggest problem for me is that our main striker was busy else where (most of the time), rather than being in the middle of the box to get on the end of those crosses. Pena is not a striker, so it is unfair to expect goals from him...even though he has scored more than Miller!!!

Holt & Jack were very industrious in midfield, and McCrory also put in an excellent shift.

If there is one player who should be an automatic pick, it's Alves.....he is a class player, and brings a massive amount of experience to the team.

Excellent performance !

Formation worked but it was more down to the determined attitude and workrate.

(Note that in 14 matches, celtic have now dropped as many points as they did in the whole 38 games of last season)

Just think how many they would have dropped if we had honest referees!?

I thought we saw some genuine tactical insight from Murty last night, and find the criticism of Miller puzzling. Murty must have studied how Aberdeen play and realised that their centre-backs are actually quite good at defending when facing the ball. They're big, strong defenders and will win most balls knocked up to forwards with their back to goal. So Miller was instructed to drag them out of position, take them out of their comfort zone and create space for others to exploit; and for once we did that superbly. Holt, Pena, Windass, Tav and John found space last night and made the most of it, but Miller was instrumental in that. It wasn't just headless chicken stuff from him it was considered and thoughtful, pulling defenders out of position, knowing he'd play no part in the move. It was a genuine team performance with controlled aggression, energy and a little bit of long overdue good fortune. We didn't have a failure last night, let's enjoy that today.

I thought we saw some genuine tactical insight from Murty last night, and find the criticism of Miller puzzling. Murty must have studied how Aberdeen play and realised that their centre-backs are actually quite good at defending when facing the ball. They're big, strong defenders and will win most balls knocked up to forwards with their back to goal. So Miller was instructed to drag them out of position, take them out of their comfort zone and create space for others to exploit; and for once we did that superbly. Holt, Pena, Windass, Tav and John found space last night and made the most of it, but Miller was instrumental in that. It wasn't just headless chicken stuff from him it was considered and thoughtful, pulling defenders out of position, knowing he'd play no part in the move. It was a genuine team performance with controlled aggression, energy and a little bit of long overdue good fortune. We didn't have a failure last night, let's enjoy that today.

A few folk have stated they saw Murty on the phone and being passed information from JJ on more than one occasion. Did the man have a little help from an old fox one may wonder...

I notice you are still loathed to praise Tav dB? He was the outstanding performer tonight and a worthy MOTM. He had no Candeias either. Playing what was effectively three at the back was genius from Murty!

I agree with you on the 3 at the back - how often did I ask for that? Even though McCrorie was playing essentially in DM. Thing with Tavernier is, he again had Holt, Jack and McCrorie backing him up and allowing him to move forward. The general attitude and application of all players was well above the norm of what we have seen thus far, so sure Tav deserves praise* for the goals. Yet, goals is also what Pena supplies and he got and gets pelters still. Had Candeias been fit, I would have dropped Tav in a ... well, that was effectively a 3-6-1 last night. What would have happened is anyone's guess. Football writes these stories, just remember Miller being dropped after some poor displays (as we all agreed upon), Murty gets him back in and he scores two goals. Now he's essentially back where he was when PC dropped him. Funny old game.

* Scoring a penalty (straight down the middle from a free-kick expert (of two season's ago) ... hm) and being there when the cross comes in where Miller should have been is good, but he still needs to up his concentration on a consistent basis when he does his actual job.

A few folk have stated they saw Murty on the phone and being passed information from JJ on more than one occasion. Did the man have a little help from an old fox one may wonder...

I'd place more importance on why our players being so fired up and motivated, rather than formation.

The prospect of not having Morelos available would have meant some forced attention to how to set-up in advance.

Edited by buster.

I agree with you on the 3 at the back - how often did I ask for that? Even though McCrorie was playing essentially in DM. Thing with Tavernier is, he again had Holt, Jack and McCrorie backing him up and allowing him to move forward. The general attitude and application of all players was well above the norm of what we have seen thus far, so sure Tav deserves praise* for the goals. Yet, goals is also what Pena supplies and he got and gets pelters still. Had Candeias been fit, I would have dropped Tav in a ... well, that was effectively a 3-6-1 last night. What would have happened is anyone's guess. Football writes these stories, just remember Miller being dropped after some poor displays (as we all agreed upon), Murty gets him back in and he scores two goals. Now he's essentially back where he was when PC dropped him. Funny old game.

* Scoring a penalty (straight down the middle from a free-kick expert (of two season's ago) ... hm) and being there when the cross comes in where Miller should have been is good, but he still needs to up his concentration on a consistent basis when he does his actual job.

When I’m qualified you can have a 10% off voucher dB or I might even do you a special “Tavernier Counselling” block booking? You need to talk this stuff though mate...........

BTW, as has been said above, Aberdeen came and tried to play football - in stark contrast to most other teams. Thus, I would hazard a guess, our players found the level of football they are capable of more easily than physical MFs and defenders doing nothing but barging them over or fling themselves into their way in twos and threes. It made the game a contest to enjoy watching (if you were winning), despite some meaty tackles. Saturday might be likewise, yet we should remind ourselves that games like these may not be the norm for some time to come. Perhaps Murty has found a new tactic in terms of midfield dominance and aggression with Jack, Holt, and McCrorie though.

EDIT: I would hope Morelos gets fit for Sunday to give Miller a rest and have even more penetration up for.

Edited by der Berliner

When I’m qualified you can have a 10% off voucher dB or I might even do you a special “Tavernier Counselling” block booking? You need to talk this stuff though mate...........

A penalty and an essentially offside goal won't convince me that he's become a star again. I'm glad he was there, was performing as he did and putting his chances away. But let's not get over enthusiastic just yet, shall we? :cool6: