Honest mistakes or something more sinister?

I think any team could pull together their own videos to show injustices and inconsistencies, and indeed Celtic fans were excellent at it during our years of domination. I had never subscribed to the sinister claims of many, and I must admit that I think many poor decisions are just simply because many referees are not good enough. Having said that, the refereeing at that Hibs game earlier this season was a blatant display of cheating/manipulation. There's no way those were honest mistakes.

There have been some suggesting for a while it is the latter of those two options. Initially I had the view it was perhaps subconscious. That has not been my feeling by for a while now.

The media are also in tandem with this as their derogatory, pejorative and hostile narrative influences opinion. These manifest themselves in both consciousness and subconscious behaviour. They are all aware of what’s happening.

I think any team could pull together their own videos to show injustices and inconsistencies, and indeed Celtic fans were excellent at it during our years of domination. I had never subscribed to the sinister claims of many, and I must admit that I think many poor decisions are just simply because many referees are not good enough. Having said that, the refereeing at that Hibs game earlier this season was a blatant display of cheating/manipulation. There's no way those were honest mistakes.

I remember one season we had a thread on here about refereeing injustices for the OF teams on here, where we tried to be as objective that is possible for a fan. We were totting them up and ours seemed to be far more than theirs.

As it turned out later, that was the season of the referee strike...

There is no question the media has a big part to play in this, and we are definitely suffering in that regard. In recent times, a referee will know (when faced with a difficult decision) that they will receive more scrutiny and abuse if they make a call in Rangers' favour, so perhaps it is just natural to have that bias and give decisions the other way. As you said coop, a lot of it will be subconscious. On many other decisions, I can equally see why referees have such a difficult job. Even in one incident yesterday (Jack's red card) we had two contrasting opinions on here. I thought it was an easy red card, while others saw it as a hard but fair challenge. I can also understand when a team is getting the benefit when playing at home, because the crowd can affect a referee's decisions also.

BUT, it's so important to remember this. The performance by that referee against Hibs was absolutely blatant. There can be no one who could argue against that. For me, this is evidence that there is something sinister. The question is whether that was just one bad apple acting on his own in an isolated incident, or is there something wider?

The problem is that for it to hold any value, the club be to be driving this. It is blatantly obvious. Every single game it is obvios, with the exception of maybe only 1 or 2 this season. I’ve said it before, professional sport is often decided based on marginal decisions and this season there have been marginal decisions going against us consistently. We really are playing against 12 men at times.

Edited by StuGers

There is no question the media has a big part to play in this, and we are definitely suffering in that regard. In recent times, a referee will know (when faced with a difficult decision) that they will receive more scrutiny and abuse if they make a call in Rangers' favour, so perhaps it is just natural to have that bias and give decisions the other way. As you said coop, a lot of it will be subconscious. On many other decisions, I can equally see why referees have such a difficult job. Even in one incident yesterday (Jack's red card) we had two contrasting opinions on here. I thought it was an easy red card, while others saw it as a hard but fair challenge. I can also understand when a team is getting the benefit when playing at home, because the crowd can affect a referee's decisions also.

Where was Jack's "Challenge".....he freely played the ball, May arrived late & got caught with the natural follow-through of Jack's foot. The only challenge (IMHO) was the late one from May.

I think it would be an interesting question for Ref supremo's to answer if Jacks card is appealed, then rescinded - 4 reds in 4 months, with 3 being rescinded.

I saw a stat elsewhere saying that Ryan Jack had received something like 3 (or 4) reds in 7 years @ Aberdeen, and 4 in 4 months at Rangers - how can a player suddenly become soooo dirty all of a sudden???

Edited by Darthter