Honest mistakes or something more sinister?

You'll remember when the Chairman and Manager of Rangers put their names to the "Save the Union" campaign?

Did they do this as a personal thing or did they represent the club?

Have all our chairmen and managers held this view?

Your attempts at trying to link unionism/anti-independence with the OO doesn't deserve a response.

Even when people refer to a "sash bash" etc?

I really don't get how they cannot be linked at least a bit.

Edited by calscot

Why the referee rightly sent off Rangers midfielder Ryan Jack

CRAIG ANDERSON

Published: 14:13 Monday 04 December 2017

In the latest edition of Ref Review we look at the red card dished out to Ryan Jack by referee Willie Collum after the Rangers midfielder fouled Aberdeen striker Stevie May.

image.jpg

Some observers have said Jack was unlucky. I agree to an extent, but for different reasons from those who believe he should have been let away with a booking or less. I don’t think Jack does intend to stamp down on May. He’s concentrating on trying to make a pass, probably doesn’t anticipate May going to block it in the manner he does, and goes into his opponent on the follow through.

However, it’s still a red card. And in the rules of the game, it’s barely even debatable. Players have to take into consideration the safety of their opponent when making a challenge, regardless of whether there is intent or whether they’ve played the ball first.

We covered this earlier in the season when looking at Ryan Bowman’s challenge on Fabio Cardoso in the Betfred Cup semi-final. Like Jack, the Motherwell attacker only had eyes for the ball and played it before his opponent could. However, by leading with his forearm in such a manner he was endangering the safety of an opponent. He should have been shown a red card. The same goes for Jack.

He leads with a straight leg (Picture One, above) and doesn’t make any attempt to change that before he’s already made contact. In fact, May’s upper body is already passing Jack by the time his foot has been released, having been trapped underneath that of Jack (Picture Two, below).

image.jpg

It’s been argued that he couldn’t get out of the way, which blatantly isn’t the case. He stands his ground in a 50/50. Many players in such an instant would look to flick it around the incoming tackle, protecting themselves and their opponent. That may not fit with the masculine demands placed on players in this country, as we insist they run through brick walls for the cause, but it would have meant Rangers kept 11 men on the park.

May could have been seriously injured and was lucky that he wasn’t. Under the letter of the law it is an undoubted red card.

• Craig Anderson is a former fully qualified referee. He is also the man behind SPL Stats on Twitter.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/why-the-referee-rightly-sent-off-rangers-midfielder-ryan-jack-1-4630619

There you have it, two stills and Jack is doomed. For he makes no attempt NOT to hit May when he flies in and does not twist his leg in any way out of the way of angles it into a not-straight position.

All fine in stills and theory, then you watch it in motion and ... when you see it from the side this is a split-second thing and he even closes the eyes expecting the impact. Going by the theory above you see May coming in and turning his body into Jack's was also most likely with the intent to let Jack feel the full brunt of the tackle. Go to roundabout 50 secs and see how May goes for Jack and not the ball. That he comes of worse does not make his actions any less debatable.

BTW, it is actually beyond belief that our players are being asked to hold back with their tackles while the opposition, time and again, almost gets away with murder without even being booked.

Rangers Football Club is a focal point for Unionists throughout Scotland and I am more than happy with that.

This thread is about something sinister being afoot and those in power don't like us because we are a Unionist and predominantly Protestant club. You can dismiss that if you want but they don't hate us beacause we're just another football club - we are far more than that.

In order to substantiate that, you would need to show that the current batch of Refs (main point of discussion in this thread), are Anti-Union & Anti-protestant. In the case of Ryan Jack, is he being targeted because of his Unionist or religious views, coz it didn't appear to be an issue when he was @ Aberdeen??? Do you honestly believe that the Ref's 1st thoughts are about religion, or nationalism, when deciding about a red car???

When you look at the wide picture in Scottish football, all clubs fans seem to be complaining about the poor standard of refereeing.....the general standard is terrible.

Did they do this as a personal thing or did they represent the club?

They put their titles IIRC. Big advert in the papers at the time, with a list of prominent people putting their names to it.

Even when people refer to a "sash bash" etc?

Singing loyalist songs doesn't mean you're a supporter of the OO....and we were talking about support of the Union, rather than loyalism.

Edited by Bluedell

In the case of Ryan Jack, is he being targeted because of his Unionist or religious views, coz it didn't appear to be an issue when he was @ Aberdeen???

Thank you for proving the point that, as a Rangers player, he is being treated differently.

The case rests m'lud.

That is obviously 100% incorrect. He did not lead with a straight leg, he kicked the ball (which is very difficult with a straight leg) and not surprisingly his leg straightened in the follow through.

You don't need to know anything about refereeing to see he's making it up. It just makes you think that they have no savvy at all. It needs a far better explanation as a red card than that.

If that's what referees are thinking, what about Cordoso's broken nose? What about Brown's flick in the face, etc, etc, etc?

That is obviously 100% incorrect. He did not lead with a straight leg, he kicked the ball (which is very difficult with a straight leg) and not surprisingly his leg straightened in the follow through.

You don't need to know anything about refereeing to see he's making it up. It just makes you think that they have no savvy at all. It needs a far better explanation as a red card than that.

If that's what referees are thinking, what about Cordoso's broken nose? What about Brown's flick in the face, etc, etc, etc?

Based on the images in the article, the reporters description "could" hold true. However, when the incident is viewed from different angles, which more context to the stills, it completely falls apart.

In the article, there is ZERO mention that Jack actually played the ball PRIOR to May's challenge and in fact Jack didn't actually make a challenge to get the ball...he simply passed it away.

Total mince!!!!

I've been a life long Gers fan.....I'm also an avid supporter of an Independent Scotland.

The Team/Club, do not promote any Unionist or Independent views to the public/support....they are a football club, not a political vehicle. The Club supports the Monarch, who has to remain politically independent, and would most likely remain the Head of State in an Independent Scotland.

I do NOT support Rangers because of any Unionist support. I follow a Scottish club, playing in Scotland, under the Scottish football association in the Scottish league.

If supporters want to bring politics & national identity into the mix, that's up to them. In or out of the Union I & many, many others will still follow Rangers.

I believe the Unionist links/connections stem from the association with the Orange order, who firstly have no formal link to the club, and I (personally) believe is a grossly outdated organisation whose beliefs have no place in modern society.

I would say you are in a more obscure group f Rangers fans then. However, you are welcome to your views and there is nothing wrong with them. All I’m saying is that in general Rangers are seen as a pro-Unionist club and supporters in general are pro-Union. There isn’t anything there that is “total mince”.

I can also confirm that I have absolutely no association with the Orange Order, not do my friends who are predominantly pro-Union. I have no problem with the OO though, they are free to do what they want as long as they aren’t harming anyone.

Edited by StuGers