Pacific Quay Musings?

4 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I'd confidently say that a significant percentage of our support are barely aware of what caused all this and just want it resolved. One of the downsides of inhabiting a virtual Rangers world (and I assume this applies to all football clubs, political viewpoints etc) is the creation of echo-chambers. Twitter allows us to select who we hear from, people tend to gravitate to forums or blogs that represent our views, and over time we get fooled into thinking everyone thinks like us. 

I think you are wide of the mark John. I know of several Rangers fans who would never think of participating on Twitter, forums or blogs for that matter and are fully aware of the BBC situation.

Can I ask you a serious question and I'm not being snide here - how often do you attend Rangers games?

26 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

I think you are wide of the mark John. I know of several Rangers fans who would never think of participating on Twitter, forums or blogs for that matter and are fully aware of the BBC situation.

Can I ask you a serious question and I'm not being snide here - how often do you attend Rangers games?

Well I'm fairly confident many don't, but I'm not sure I know of a way to prove it either way so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

A serious question? As opposed to all the humourous ones that've been coming my way up to now!  ?

My first Rangers match was John Grieg's testimonial and my last Kilmarnock at home last season. I'd a season ticket for 20 years. I'm no longer a season ticket holder, I probably attend around five to ten home matches a season these days and the occasional away match. 

1 hour ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

how often do you attend Rangers games?

Why does this matter? It shows a disregard for the (as John said) probably hundreds of thousands who support the club from around the country but don't live near Glasgow or just have other commitments.

9 hours ago, Bill said:

but unfortunately it's also based on the premise that there is anyone out there with the slightest interest in listening to the Rangers side of the story

You're assuming that I think that exposing the bias and putting pressure on the BBC publicly will eradicate the bias.

I don't of course, but I do think that regularly exposing indisputable bias on the BBCs part - in an organised and professional manner - will have an effect.

The bottom line is that those who hate Rangers within the BBC are the winners right now because they have a free hand to regularly disrespect our club and we are receiving pretty much no coverage of our games. They are loving it.

Re-instate press privileges for 2 people and I think they will be pretty gutted about it, and we have a less bad situation where hundreds of thousands of Rangers fans get access to coverage of our games, which is not always bias.

Edited by DMAA

2 hours ago, DMAA said:

You're assuming that I think that exposing the bias and putting pressure on the BBC publicly will eradicate the bias.

I don't of course, but I do think that regularly exposing indisputable bias on the BBCs part - in an organised and professional manner - will have an effect.

The bottom lime is that those who hate Rangers within the BBC are the winners right now because they have a free hand to regularly disrespect our club and we are receiving pretty much no coverage of our games. They are loving it.

Re-instate press privileges for 2 people and I think they will be pretty gutted about it, and we have a less bad situation where hundreds of thousands of Rangers fans get access to coverage of our games, which is not always bias.

You're profoundly mistaken. The BBC is never wrong and never apologises ... about anything. That has been a hallmark of BBC operations since the beginning of time.

The Rangers situation is hardly unique. The BBC selectively addresses almost every other news issue and has had no hesitation adopting and maintaining blatant political stances in other issues. The idea the BBC will be affected by Rangers reinstating press privileges for a BBC reporter is, frankly, devoid of coherent thought.

12 hours ago, JohnMc said:

I'm surprised at how defeatist you are, would you prefer to give up than fight a difficult battle? 

'Fixing' what's wrong with BBC Scotland won't be done in a week, or a month, or even a year, it'll take time and patience. BBC Scotland already look foolish and petty, and if we can keep winning and playing the most attractive football in the league their foolishness will only be magnified, and external pressure from London or Manchester will help too. 

I'm not being defeatist.  Go back and read my post again.  I'm specifically advocating a difficult battle.

I think it is really lame, on your part, to resort to calling people defeatist.  It doesn't support your argument in any way.

12 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

I'm not being defeatist.  Go back and read my post again.  I'm specifically advocating a difficult battle.

I think it is really lame, on your part, to resort to calling people defeatist.  It doesn't support your argument in any way.

Okay, I read it again. When you said "This will never happen" what did you mean? Because it reads awfully like you've already given up to me. 

I'm not "resorting" to anything, it's how I read your post. If I've misunderstood it I'm happy for you to correct me. 

3 hours ago, Bill said:

The idea the BBC will be affected by Rangers reinstating press privileges for a BBC reporter is, frankly, devoid of coherent thought.

Again a bit harsh Bill. Especially conssidering this is a statement of fact and not opinion. Reinstate press privileges and the BBC end their boycott, that’s what they’ve said.