Problem is Union Bears are in the whole relatively young and with this type of hatred festering will they pass this on to their off-spring in later years?.I dread to think this and could cause an unsatisfactory blemish in the future on how our beloved is supported.

55 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

It is pretty clear that F'enian refers to something sinister rather than something racial/cultural/you name it. Hence it is on the same "unappropriate language" list of the Police Force of Northern Ireland as Huns. But West of Scotland "political correctness" has been warped by a decade of Hooped Horror influence and undermining.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland states "the use of the word ‘fen,ian’ as a generic term to refer to Roman Catholics in the vast majority of circumstances will be offensive".

I'm surprised that the main focus of this is on the wording, rather than the picture of someone being kicked.  The whole thing is wrong, but what is bizarre is that we're now more sensitive about wording than something that suggests a physical threat.

18 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I'm surprised that the main focus of this is on the wording, rather than the picture of someone being kicked.  The whole thing is wrong, but what is bizarre is that we're now more sensitive about wording than something that suggests a physical threat.

Bang on the money. It's time the police got back to dealing with the act rather than the thought. Condemning and taking offence at the word "******" is a contrivance. Suggesting physical violence is the issue here.

Edited by Bill

37 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

The Police Service of Northern Ireland states "the use of the word ‘fen,ian’ as a generic term to refer to Roman Catholics in the vast majority of circumstances will be offensive".

The PSNI also term the word H@un offensive and sectarian. The legislators and police in Scotland don’t see the need to highlight that though.

32 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

... whereas the term "Hun" is being used "offensive" untowards Protestants, which is where the Scottish warp sets in.

But I see your point, I was a little unclear. Maybe I am wrong, but the "offensive" tag of both words probably comes from the days when Irish Republicanism and British Loyalism/Unionism was closely linked to faith.

What is pretty clear though is that the word F'enian when used by (most of) us refers to Irish Republicanism/Terrorism rather than Catholicism or indeed the Irish as such, which is in turn claimed by the Yahoos and the compliant media and PC campaigners.

2 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

The PSNI also term the word H@un offensive and sectarian. The legislators and police in Scotland don’t see the need to highlight that though.

Yeah, that's a joke, and typical of the attitude prevalent in Scotland that sectarianism is a one-way street.

19 minutes ago, Bill said:

Bang on the money. It's time the police got back to dealing with the act rather than the thought. Condemning and taking offence at the word "******" is a contrivance. Suggesting physical violence is the issue here.

This is a joke surely. If you type the word "fëniān" you see a row of asterisks in your post. So free speech is dead even here? Shakes head. :(

Edited by Bill