Make God Laugh, Tell Him Your Plans - Rangers v Celtic Preview

40 minutes ago, Darthter said:

Whether he's a Tory/SNP/Screaming looney MP....it's irrelevant in this case.  He's a linesman, communicating to the ref as to the correct action to be taken - nothing more.

Was Hugh Dallas ever referred to as "Windows & doors salesman Hugh Dallas show red to ....."

That was my point entirely. Thanks for agreeing with me. ??

34 minutes ago, StuGers said:

I know, it’s ridiculous. Just more in the pressure on referees to let them know that any decision for us will end up with their face and personal life plastered all over their papers and websites.

Compare this to the reaction to some of the referees not doing their job in some of the decisions against us.

Yeah, remember the treatment of Michael McCurry, whose main crime was to be associated with a Protestant church.

A few on Twitter were suggesting dropping Windass for the next Old Firm game, for a more 'solid' midfielder. I may be Windass' biggest fan, and I'll follow him until he loves me, but I don't think we're paying attention to the best tactical approach against Celtic. 

Having a more 'solid' midfielder in there, like Dorrans or Holt (?), is fine but only if we're looking to soak up pressure; get into a solid shape and let them have the ball etc., soak it up and counter. Could work? I think Killie had success with something similar.

However, many have repeatedly said that we need to defend from the front against Celtic, pressing high and aggressively -- force Boyata into mistakes! In my opinion, Windass, along with Candeias and Morelos, are the best pressers we have. If we want to press aggressively, we need Windass. 

We can't have a half-and-half approach.

50 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

A few on Twitter were suggesting dropping Windass for the next Old Firm game, for a more 'solid' midfielder. I may be Windass' biggest fan, and I'll follow him until he loves me, but I don't think we're paying attention to the best tactical approach against Celtic. 

Having a more 'solid' midfielder in there, like Dorrans or Holt (?), is fine but only if we're looking to soak up pressure; get into a solid shape and let them have the ball etc. soak it up and counter. Could work? I think Killie had success with something similar.

However, many have repeatedly said that we need to defend from the front against Celtic, pressing high and aggressively -- force Boyata into mistakes! In my opinion, Windass, along with Candeias and Morelos, are the best pressers we have. If we want to press aggressively, we need Windass. 

We can't have a half-and-half approach.

I agree with you Rousseau.  He is the only one that can play that role unfortunately, based on the way we play.  The issue I have is that Windass doesn't feel like he has competition for his role and I think it's one of the reasons he feels he can drift out of the game without consequence.  I'd like Murty to replace him in games with someone (actually anyone would do) to give him a kick up the back side until we can bring in proper competitions for his role.  If Windass performed for more than 50 minutes in a game, he'd be some player.  His is currently however either lazy, or loses concentration, or doesn't care.  I think it's the second of these but either way he needs competition to encourage a change in his behaviour.

I am one of those advocating giving Windass a drop down after all he does not need a rest after his display??? on Sunday,great goal then day's work done this is not on we need someone who will give a 90+ minute display.

We just need to defend better than we did , we played very well for the vast majority of that game , the sending off actually helped them as they were able to sit back and attack on the break , where as we have struggled to break any team down that sits in deep .

1 minute ago, ian1964 said:

So! we are to drop Windass & Morelos now?

In general I think it's stupidity of the highest order to drop arguably our best players, for whatever reason, but for specific games to suit a tactical approach, like being more solid defensively, then fair enough.

The Morelos argument is just short-termism, but the Windass one doesn't suit the best tactical approach... IMO, of course.