New manager rumours

Noted that Gary McAllister has been rumoured as a No.2 ... and I just checked his pedigree ...

Manager at Coventry 2002 - 2004 (71 games)

Manager at Leeds 2008  (47)

Assistant to Gordon Strachan at Middlesbrough 2010 (8)

Assistant to Gerard Houllier & Kevin McDonald at Aston Villa 2010 - 2011 (39+1)

Assistant to Brendan Rogers at Liverpool 2015 (11) ... He left the position on 8 October 2015 after the sacking of Brendan Rodgers, but was appointed to an ambassadorial position at the club

Well ...

A wee bit of info about Gerrard....

His U18 Liverpool squad horsed the RFC Development squad 4-1 Oct 2017 @ Ibrox.  Not sure if Murty was involved in the Dev squad at that time.....

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/279611-match-report-u18s-put-four-past-rangers-at-ibrox

The idea of Gerrard being appointed, is a difficult one.  His name alone carries weight and respect in footballing circles.  He was a top player, and worked under/with some of the best managers, also worked under Brenda (which may prove beneficial in a tactical sense).  In order to become the player he was, requires skill and knowledge of the game which he could hopefully pass on at a senior 1st team level.

However, he is completely untested, spending a limited time looking after Liverpools U18 squad which will provide completely different levels of requirement & stress on a manager/coach.  We simply can't know how he will handle the different characters/egos within the dressing room.  His experience of captaining Liverpool & Engerland will help prepare him, but not 100%.  Facing a dressing room as Team captain is completely different to doing it as Team manager.

The key thing for me is how effective is he at getting his point across to the players.  You can have all the tactical knowledge in the world, but if you can't convey that to the team effectively it's pointless.  I think Pedro was very tactically aware & knew what he wanted to do, but he could not convey that to the players.  Conversely, someone with less tactical knowledge but a great way to convey their info, can be considerably more successful.

Was also wondering if this is sponsor driven, trying to promote rangers as a brand and get a lot more exposure.

Let be honest it wasn't that long ago Gerrard would have been in most folks world 11, this is a massive storey globally and maybe the board are weighing up success against how much money he could bring in to the club. Who knows, maybe I'm wide of the mark, just a thought.

Good chance we will be able to attract a higher standard of player, ther will be players that may have been out of our reach that will want to play for him, its a big selling point.

I'm slightly confused. Both STV and BBC are reporting that Steve G is just one name on a shortlist yet we (and others) seem to be talking about it as though he's the only contender.

Edited by SteveC

1 minute ago, SteveC said:

I'm slightly confused. Both STV and BBC are reporting that Steve G is just one name on a shortlist yet we (and others) seem to be talking about it as though he's the only contender.

well there's always warnock :)

2 minutes ago, Dragosani said:

well there's always warnock :)

:) Yes, but no-one's talking about him now and headlines like the following make it sound  like a done deal:

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2018/04/26/didnt-see-steven-gerrard-becoming-rangers-manager-coming-former-ger-admits/373710/

Edited by SteveC

14 minutes ago, SteveC said:

:) Yes, but no-one's talking about him now and headlines like the following make it sound  like a done deal:

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2018/04/26/didnt-see-steven-gerrard-becoming-rangers-manager-coming-former-ger-admits/373710/

A whole article written about an off the cuff tweet - crazy what passes as Journalism nowadays :(

I wonder how Murty and the team feel with all this leaking - days before the Old Firm.