[FT] Celtic 4 - 0 Rangers (McCrorie Sent Off)

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

I'm increasingly uncomfortable with the criticism of Graeme Murty, who didn't seek the manager's job but was asked to take over by a board of directors that had failed twice to appoint an effective manager and then had an offer to McInnes thrown back in their faces.

Graeme Murty might not be the right man to manage Rangers but he never claimed to be. Having a go at him now is a ridiculous thing to do. He may well be the only one in this whole debacle who DOESN'T deserve to have blame hung round his neck.

I have been silent over Murty until today. He is way out his depth and has lost the players. It looks like there is no relationship with Jimmy Nicholl as he rarely acknowledges him either. He seems stubborn and unable to adapt. Im sure he is a nice guy but hopefully going back to the 20s. 

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

If Rangers is an attractive proposition then why are we persevering with a youth coach?  Why did McInnes turn us down?  Why was our last manager a managerial nobody plucked from the middle of the Qatari league?  

Well, if you write 10 names of potential managers on this board, you'll get 20 different opinions on each of them. Likewise, you can favour a person all you want, if said person doesn't want to come (for whatever reason), you are left with the rest.

And then there is the small matter of success. After a sloppy start, Murty handed us draws against the Scum and 6 wins on the trot or so, getting us withing striking distance on the eve of the Ibrox OF game - which we performed in and lost harshly. After that, confidence went and standards dropped. And we have seen similar with quite a few managers before, only that we usually had the quality to steady the ship. Right now, we are in a similar position like hundreds of other teams: finding the right manager at the right price who can perform at a quality level with the moderate money we can offer him ... and with that goes the moderate quality of our players. Happy hunting!

You see people actually arguing endlessly whether Frank de Boer might be the right chap. Heck, if someone of his standing and his connections comes, we should be grateful in the here and now. No, we bicker on and propose Steve Clarke et al. That is where we are.

Edited by der Berliner

38 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

I have been silent over Murty until today. He is way out his depth and has lost the players. It looks like there is no relationship with Jimmy Nicholl as he rarely acknowledges him either. He seems stubborn and unable to adapt. Im sure he is a nice guy but hopefully going back to the 20s. 

How can he go back to the youth system now, having lost the dressing room?

Youngters nowadays will give him pelters and if he cannot install any discipline, he's surely done at being with Rangers.

10 minutes ago, Little General said:

How can he go back to the youth system now, having lost the dressing room?

Youngters nowadays will give him pelters and if he cannot install any discipline, he's surely done at being with Rangers.

Thats a far point LG. Either way its time that he went.

6 minutes ago, cooponthewing said:

Thats a far point LG. Either way its time that he went.

I'm no way in the know or know anything that's going on but he really is done now at the club. Under 20's not getting a game will tear him apart in the dressing room after his stint as manager.

There is no respect now for him.

It's a vicious world.

What a negative approach to the game to go with a flat 5 in midfield. 

Especially after Motherwell destroying Aberdeen showing the difference it makes to have two strikers. 

Celtic’s weakest position is defence yet we focus the game in their strongest position in midfield. 

I think Motherwell will give their centre backs a lot to think about and it will be a rebuke to Murty. 

Edited by DMAA

From about 30 seconds in to the match I saw that something had changed since the last game against them at Ibrox.  Our players, even that early looked flat. There was no hunting down the ball or chasing opposition players.

Were we sent out working to some "plan" where the tactic was, " They'll think we're going to knock ourselves out straight from kick off so let's fool them and play a containing game and hope to hit them on the break ?"  ???

Having had time to digest what happened my opinion is, we had one chance - charge right at them from the start and hope we score. Keep chasing them and get the ball forward at every opportunity. If we lost a goal then fair enough, we were always going to do that anyhow.

Oh, and playing a guy the height of our striker up front on his own was never going to work.

I said to a couple of guys , we look like a team of Stuart McCalls [no bad thing in itself], but there was nobody else doing anything differently so we became very predictable.

I've attended matches against them where we took an absolute hammering yet came out with a result. I don't think we took a hammering yesterday but we made them look invincible because of our own performance.

The Rhats didn't beat us. We beat ourselves.