Scott Arfield pre-contract deal?

17 minutes ago, buster. said:

In the UK, there have always been issues and no set recognised structure wrt to how a DoF and first team coach/manager divide responsibilities.

What is clear is that big football clubs need someone to take responsibility for overseeing the whole football operation, regardless of how much authority a first team manager/coach has or develops.

I think it possible to have a respected manager with clear ultimate authority over what he sees as important and then a DoF (call it what you like) who makes sure things get done, as well as keeping all the other levels and sub-departments in line. I think this is what we need opposed to the more easily disposible 'Head Coach' idea that plainly won't work given the pressures of the Ibrox dug-out.

Makes sense. The DoF is also going to interview the new manager so hardly likely to support someone who he cannot work with and who has a different idea about football. The manager will also have all the training data and positional tactical data about players who are not performing and will be able to discuss the requirement for someone who can run faster, longer, do cruyff turns, play wide, head balls or whatever with the DoF. 

The key think it does is to ensure there is a division of responsibility and the manager doesn’t mismanage the budget (reference Pedro, Advovaat). It is better financial and operational governance. The free reign the manager has is in team selection, coaching (presumably within a preferred overall model), tactics. 

Edited by Walterbear

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Subjective. The stats show he's one of our best contributors to goals, whether that's scoring them, assisting them, or being involved in the build-up. 

I don't mind dropping him for a rest, or to suit the tactical plan etc. but I have no time for some of the criticism bandied about. 

It is more irritating that people jump into this with the "scapegoat" and "need to sacrifice" stuff. Much of the goals Windass gets comes of the work of others. In a prominent role like his, he has done little to reverse the compliment though. He's deployed as an attacking midfielder / shadow striker. He does comparatively little but running into positions and waiting for chances. In fact, against Hearts, it was Cummings doing much of the running and being out on the wing collectiong balls ... and still Windass was not in the centre to fill the gap. We play Windass now similar to how we played Holt in his first season, where he got 15 goals and 8 assists. After that, we shuttled Holt back to central and defensive midfield, leaving him doing the donkey work ... with hardly a goal and  assist to his name. But Holt is running his socks off to chase people down, get the ball forward and into positions - no matter where he is placed on the field.

As for the stats. That's all nice and tidy ... when it works. If it means he gets the odd goal, but we still play poorly up front, stats start to get fuzzy. Boyd was scoring goals galore, but was doing comparatively little else. He had good enough fellow about him. Right now, we need Windass - and everyone else - being fully committed and doing their job. And his job is not solely waiting for chances that come his way.

Obviously, he'll surely score a couple of screamers at the Scumhut now.

Edited by der Berliner

1 hour ago, alskoosher said:

Why would anyone be signed by anyone DoF or other, we don't know who our next manager is won't they want their own signings, unless it will still be Murty.

Or does the DoF now do the signing and we will have a coach not a manager.

Thats the whole concept of the DOF , continuation in cases where there is no manager , look at all the top clubs across europe , they continually   recruit with out managers or even in between managerial changes .  

17 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

As for the stats. That's all nice and tidy ... when it works. If it means he gets the odd goal, but we still play poorly up front, stats start to get fuzzy

At the end of the day he wouldn't get into Celtic's starting line-up and would be battling for a place on the bench. He's not a player who's going to win the league with Rangers. He's very good at some things but I highly doubt he'll ever be very good all round so I hope we fetch a decent transfer fee for him this summer from some Championship club and use the money to take us to the next level.

27 minutes ago, rbr said:

Thats the whole concept of the DOF , continuation in cases where there is no manager , look at all the top clubs across europe , they continually   recruit with out managers or even in between managerial changes .  

And if an incoming manager doesn't think those signed by these DoFs are what he is looking for, lump it or like it ? 

8 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

He can work with the director of football to get the squad that he wants.

We are being told DoFs recruit, a fancy word for sign, when there is no manager in place.

Once again what if incoming managers do not like the players recruited/signed by any DoF, when there was no manager in place.

I do not believe for one moment DoFs sign anyone, advise on logistics yes, sign no.

2 hours ago, Walterbear said:

Agree with this but remember Allen said the manager determines selection and tactics. He also has a say in signings. I guess that means that overall he needs to fit within a style of play but can adjust if necessary but he cannot go out and spend £12m on Tore Andre Flo for example if that style of player cannot play within the overall philosophy. It makes sense and also suggests Allen / DoF has a firm hand on the purse strings. 

Bearing all that in mind and given the DoF has a big say in the next manager perhaps our future criticism / plaudits will be as much towards the DoF. For example if he presents a bunch of diddies to the manager then the managers job becomes more difficult. But if his players are of good calibre and understand the playing style and philosophy and by extension the tactical requirements then it is very much the manager who takes the flack.  All in all I like the model and if it had been in place would have prevented the PC mistakes. Allen would know the market of players who could be recruited for the kind of money we have wasted on Pena. 

You also have to consider Murty and the fact that he has not fully operated within this model for Rangers as it is probably in development (we haven’t worked like this before). 

Thats my positive spin on the sutuation anyway. I am pretty sure we don’t need to clear an entire squad out. 

We'd need to judge the recruitment alongside the performances on the pitch going forward.

Murty is not a good manger either. 

You could argue our recruitment has been good, but the manager has not been able to do his side of things.