The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals

1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't get what makes them think the sheep are such a challenge. The yahoos yes but not the sheep. We beat them more often than not last season and could have finished above them right up to the last day yet this guy portrays it as if we have a job on our hands to keep up with the sheep?

We have considerably strengthened while they're pretty much what they were last year. Anyone being realistic should be deciding that the sheep will be the ones challenged to keep up with us not the other way around. Our problem last year was dropping points to also rans not to the sheep.  

yup, we were the top scorers in the league last year and have considerably strengthened our defence, I think Aberdeen will fall away this year, they have no recognised striker that is going to get them at least 20 goals a year, actually i'd even go as far as saying if they don't strengthen they will end up floating around 5th or 6th, Hibs have made a couple of good signings and look strong, as have hearts, you would imagine Killie will be pushing this year as well, would be good if we gave them a tanking on sunday.

3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't get what makes them think the sheep are such a challenge. The yahoos yes but not the sheep. We beat them more often than not last season and could have finished above them right up to the last day yet this guy portrays it as if we have a job on our hands to keep up with the sheep?

We have considerably strengthened while they're pretty much what they were last year. Anyone being realistic should be deciding that the sheep will be the ones challenged to keep up with us not the other way around. Our problem last year was dropping points to also rans not to the sheep.  

They've finished second for the last several seasons and can't be discounted that easily.

Until we achieve a consistency of result throughout the season, we won't break away from the provincial pack.

We have to put the results together, until then words are just that.

7 minutes ago, buster. said:

They've finished second for the last several seasons and can't be discounted that easily.

Until we achieve a consistency of result throughout the season, we won't break away from the provincial pack.

We have to put the results together, until then words are just that.

I don't think what they have done in the last few seasons has any relevance to this season. This was our record against them last season with a manager who wasn't working out and a problematic defence.

won 2-1 away
won 3-0 at home
won 2-0 at home
drew 1-1 away

Took 10 out of 12 points from them which was a better league record against them than the yahoos had and I see no reason for that to be any different this time around. What has to be different this time around is the stuttering to also rans particularly at home. And so far the pre season and Euro ties seem to suggest we have gone a long way to solving the defence problems.

I simply don't see them as being a major challenge to us. But as you say it's all speculative until the season gets up and running for a quarter or so but taking everything into account I feel my speculation is the most likely outcome.

They weren't a challenge to us in head to heads last season and shouldn't be this season either.  

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Aberdeen need to be taken seriously because McInnes has delivered season after season despite having to rebuild the squad on a a pittance every summer. Surely to goodness we’ll pull away from them this season but they are due respect until that happens. 

To not acknowledge Aberdeen’s achievements in recent seasons is to show the same disrespect we complain about receiving on a daily basis. 

We'll know better in about three months time. Be that us, Aberdeen or the Scum. One season Dembele scores 30odd goals, the next he's barely seen. An injury to Aberdeen's top chaps and they might toil. ALl ifs and buts. You would hope that we finally have a season where nigh everyone stays fit and sharp ... which hasn't been the case for a long time.

We've already had Dorrans and Rossiter injured.  

Celtc have a better squad than we do.  Aberdeen don't.  We need to focus on winning games and get on with it - SG seems like he's got the right kind of attitude but it's early days, so we'll have to wait and see.

16 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't think what they have done in the last few seasons has any relevance to this season. This was our record against them last season with a manager who wasn't working out and a problematic defence.

won 2-1 away
won 3-0 at home
won 2-0 at home
drew 1-1 away

Took 10 out of 12 points from them which was a better league record against them than the yahoos had and I see no reason for that to be any different this time around. What has to be different this time around is the stuttering to also rans particularly at home. And so far the pre season and Euro ties seem to suggest we have gone a long way to solving the defence problems.

I simply don't see them as being a major challenge to us. But as you say it's all speculative until the season gets up and running for a quarter or so but taking everything into account I feel my speculation is the most likely outcome.

They weren't a challenge to us in head to heads last season and shouldn't be this season either.  

4 results out of 38 are irrelevant.

All that matters is that Aberdeen finished in 2nd place, us in 3rd.  It's all well & good say "If this hadn't happened", or "if only we'd beaten xyz" etc, but at the end of the season, Aberdeen had more points than us, and that has been the case for the past 2 seasons.

Until we can move past Aberdeen, we have no chance of winning the league.