[FT] Rangers 2 (Murphy 23; Tavernier 90+2 pen) - 0 FC Shkupi

7 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

He didn't play well at times last night and I think that's what's frustrating.  I just can't work out why he looks good for 10 minutes and then disappears for 10.

I think you're right that we haven't found the right position for him.  Having said that, we've tried him in most positions (I think) so I don't know if that'll address the issue.  I also accept your point about having someone more creative to support him, and that could work by feeding him the type of balls he needs.  The only question I have then is if Windass is good enough to start building a team around.  He might be, but that's a massive risk that I wouldn't take.  Fortunately that's SG's problem to contend with.

I think I've just been hoping that it was an attitude (or laziness) problem he had.  In other words, it could be something that could be tackled by bringing in a new manager perhaps.  I hoped that was the case because then I could look forward to him contributing in more minutes of the match.  It'd be frustrating but at least understandable.  The problem is that he's an enigma.  I talk to my brother, father, son and pals about him, and none of us know what we'd do with him to benefit from his obvious talents.  SG can try, but if it was me I'd be letting him go and putting my energy into other players.

I agree, kind of, but in what way? Was it when things he did didn't come off for him, or are you using the 'anonymous' tag? I get both, to be fair; there are times when he drifts out of games, and certainly last night, things things didn't come off.

Yes, I think he's been played in every position along the front, and a couple further back too! 

Perhaps not, but I don't think we need to. It think he can be a good 'icing-on-the-cake' -type of player. He needs better creativity, but that would suit everyone.

He's certainly enigmatic, but I'd be the opposite, trying to get him into the team.  

3 minutes ago, pete said:

I fear for McCrorie when Rossiter comes back. It is starting to look like he is not good enough for Centre-half and not creative enough for the midfield. He is only 19 though so maybe that is unfair.

I agree with you Pete, although I really hope we are both wrong.  Did you hear SG's interview on BT sport when he spoke about McCrorie?

The interviewer asked him about the improvements he's had to make since he came into the club.  He talked about lots of things he saw and wasn't happy with.  One player he made a point of talking about was McCrorie.  I'm very slightly paraphrasing here but he said "we came in and saw he was being played at centre back when he's clearly not right for that position.  That was a terrible decision and could have destroyed him".  Those are strong words, but SG clearly felt angry that the young boy wasn't managed properly.  I hope he can help him recover and at 19 you'd like to think that's no problem.

I thought we over played in front of the opposition, and occasionally around them. Often, Morelos was dragged into areas to link up/contribute to moves, meaning he was not inside the area when the cross was eventually achieved. Windass ghosted in across the front to the near post and managed to get under the headers. Morelos is strangling opportunities, when he is in position, he is going marginally too early. Overall, it was a disjointed.

We created a dozen chances, took two. We did not concede. McGregor had a most quiet match, a series of corners fifteen minutes into the second half was his only test. 

I do not think any of the midfield subs changed the match, maybe Ajeria's probing caused a few problems. Middleton is direct, has pace, and quick feet. The Shkupi right back was exasperated, correctly cautioned, and he chucked it twice.

Tuesday's second leg is most dependent upon who scores first. 

McCrorie did seem reluctant to pass forward, but were there passes on? I was frustrated at our #8s not quite making themselves available; they need to find space in between the lines -- and that would help CBs find them too. 

31 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Middleton is a natural winger, whereas Murphy isn't -- he started his career at Motherwell as a forward, only being converted to a LM later. 

I like the idea of Middleton stretching play on the left, with Tavernier stretching play on the Right, with a Right-winger coming inside to help Morelos. Sadiq could do that, or Windass (I WILL FIT HIM IN! :D). 

I am just talking about during games like last night where we needed another goal, tweeking the players about a wee bit, like Windass going off, moving Murphy inside with Middleton LW. If players are not doing too great during the match 

This team have only been together for what , 3 weeks max most , it's their 2nd game , surely we can cut them a bit of slack , the rebuilding has t even finished yet , and I almost guarantee the team we playe week in week out from say Xmas onwards won't look or resemble last night too much , so let's just all  chill 

when we used the early ball we cut them open, but for a lot of the time we tried to warburton through them giving them time organise defensively. We missed sitters...Windass the main culprit but Morelas missed a couple and Goldsen missed a header at the post. There was a reluctance to shoot, players electing to pass the ball even inside the box. How many times was a shot on, only for the player to take more touches and be closed down

Edited by colinstein

2 hours ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

We are about to spend the best part of £8m on 3 centre backs.

The negativity on here is completely over the top.

The Rangers team that started last night will be dramatically different come the start of the season.

One goal over there and the game is done and dusted.

I’m getting deja vu here.