[FT] Motherwell 3 - 3 Rangers (Lafferty 15, 38; Ejaria 43)

12 minutes ago, pete said:

Remember Helicopter Sunday?

I don't see the relevance Pete? You may as well cite Aberdeen being up for games and beating Celtic in the 80's and call that relevant. Different players and managers (and clubs tbh)

I doubt if Motherwell will be up for any game like they were yesterday. Despite Celtic winning the leagues over the last few years, Rangers will always be these teams cup final. Add SG to the mix and I think they will be even more determined to take a scalp. They celebrated like they won the World Cup yesterday (as did Aberdeen). We just have to make sure we are not in a position were late goals mean anything. We should have gone for the 4th goal as soon as the 2nd half started and put the game to bed. While there is a goal in it, the other team will always have hope.

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

I enjoyed the Physicality of it yesterday,  however we got caught up in it, thus playing into Murderwells hands. Coming out for the second half we lost most of our shape and played far to deep, ultimately paying the consequences for that. Yes try and handle the physical side to an opposing team tactics, but never forget the beautiful side of the game to, we forgot that yesterday, but i'm positive we'll learn from it.

2 minutes ago, aweebluesoandso said:

I enjoyed the Physicality of it yesterday,  however we got caught up in it, thus playing into Murderwells hands. Coming out for the second half we lost most of our shape and played far to deep, ultimately paying the consequences for that. Yes try and handle the physical side to an opposing team tactics, but never forget the beautiful side of the game to, we forgot that yesterday, but i'm positive we'll learn from it.

I don't mind a bit of physicality but IMO Motherwell took it too far (hand round Lafferty's throat for example). I had to laugh when I heard Radio Scotland saying it was a "good advert" for Scottish football. The tactics deployed by Motherwell (5/6 brutes chasing 1st and 2nd balls) were positively prehistoric and should be consigned to the past. If that was a good advert for Scottish Football, no wonder we are in the mire as a footballing nation. I would also like to see their reaction if it was us that deployed such obvious physical tactics. I'm quite sure Mr English and Mr Gordon would have been less complimentary

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

Before we look forward ... if Motherwell plays like that against the Scum, Hibs and Aberdeen, these teams will surely lose points there over the season. Oh what exciting times for the Fir Park Faithful ...

Neither Rangers or Celtic have won at Fir Park in their last 4 visits combined (2 each).

48 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I don't see the relevance Pete? You may as well cite Aberdeen being up for games and beating Celtic in the 80's and call that relevant. Different players and managers (and clubs tbh)

I doubt if Motherwell will be up for any game like they were yesterday. Despite Celtic winning the leagues over the last few years, Rangers will always be these teams cup final. Add SG to the mix and I think they will be even more determined to take a scalp. They celebrated like they won the World Cup yesterday (as did Aberdeen). We just have to make sure we are not in a position were late goals mean anything. We should have gone for the 4th goal as soon as the 2nd half started and put the game to bed. While there is a goal in it, the other team will always have hope.

Celebrating a last second goal is always intenser. Remember Clint Hills goal at the tin-dome. Helicopter Sunday is one thing I will never forget in my life but would probably not have been so intense if Motherwell had won with 3 first half goals. Celtic have just had better teams than us over the last few seasons and i believe if Motherwell had played like that against Celtic yesterday they would have walked into a huge defeat because they would have kept playing football and not reverted to hump the ball up the park to nobody. That is something gerrard really have to look at.

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I don't mind a bit of physicality but IMO Motherwell took it too far (hand round Lafferty's throat for example). I had to laugh when I heard Radio Scotland saying it was a "good advert" for Scottish football. The tactics deployed by Motherwell (5/6 brutes chasing 1st and 2nd balls) were positively prehistoric and should be consigned to the past. If that was a good advert for Scottish Football, no wonder we are in the mire as a footballing nation. I would also like to see their reaction if it was us that deployed such obvious physical tactics. I'm quite sure Mr English and Mr Gordon would have been less complimentary

I found those comments bizarre as well. Good advert for rugby league fans who may have a passing interest in football. Also the state broadcaster which continuously and deliberately undermines the biggest club which has bought interest, excitement and an improved standard of player to Scotland talking with authority about ‘adverts for Scottish football’ is a joke. They spend our money covering games abroad when they refuse to cover 50,000 Europa League sell outs a mile away from their HQ. A FOI request on how much they have spent on hotels and expenses , operating costs etc on their travels around europe when they could have driven a van a mile up the road would make interesting reading. VFM and best use of public funds may be questionable. 

At the end of the day there was always bound to be a blip like this at some point and especially with so many matches being played in such a short space of time. The yahoos also laboured to a 1-0 home win against Hamilton. We remain undefeated after the usual kicking match at a known hammer throwing thorn in the side.

I'm still confident we can take the yahoos. We're an entirely different prospect to Hamilton.